Woodworking / Furniture Building

I went to the lake and went golfing with my mom, went for supper afterwards and got to see how the little daytrip boat was progressing that my stepdad built. He has it outside under the carport as you can see a few leaves have fallen in it., He recently brought it out to the marina just to make sure it floats ;).
He probably won't get everything finished before the snow flies, but what work... a couple hours in this. The floor boards are spruce. He doesn't have the mast and sail finished yet. Can't wait to try it next spring.

1601564779463.png

1601564812368.png

1601564846700.png

1601564927608.png

I went to the lake and went golfing with my mom, went for supper afterwards and got to see how the little daytrip boat was progressing that my stepdad built. He has it outside under the carport as you can see a few leaves have fallen in it., He recently brought it out to the marina just to make sure it floats ;).
He probably won't get everything finished before the snow flies, but what work... a couple hours in this. The floor boards are spruce. He doesn't have the mast and sail finished yet. Can't wait to try it next spring.

View attachment 8966440
I don't know boats. Is that style of boat not designed to have a prow like other sail boats? Where's the figure head go? It's got to have a figure head.:ROFLMAO:

I don't know boats. Is that style of boat not designed to have a prow like other sail boats? Where's the figure head go? It's got to have a figure head.:ROFLMAO:
It is to be dragged behind his bigger sailboat, for landings and such. I would assume that is why.

It is to be dragged behind his bigger sailboat, for landings and such. I would assume that is why.
Oh, ok. so it's kind of like a skiff... or whatever it's called.:confused2: Cool. I hope it turns out great!

Once I get done renovating the outbuilding for the Doc I’ve got permission to use the money we have saved and finally have my outbuilding built, will be 3/4 golf sim and arcade, 1/4 woodworking shop and I’m going to start doing some fun things. This reno has reignited something my grandpa taught me, and it makes things feel more complete.

Project #1 will be designing the perfect putter cover display of course ;):ROFLMAO:

Once I get done renovating the outbuilding for the Doc I’ve got permission to use the money we have saved and finally have my outbuilding built, will be 3/4 golf sim and arcade, 1/4 woodworking shop and I’m going to start doing some fun things. This reno has reignited something my grandpa taught me, and it makes things feel more complete.

Project #1 will be designing the perfect putter cover display of course ;):ROFLMAO:
Have a shadowbox of sorts I'm in the process of making that will contain the majority of my Morgan Cup mementos. I'd be interested in what route you are going to go with the cover display because that is where I have ran into a bit of an issue.

Don't know if you all have a favorite woodworker but I recently stumbled upon Bourbon Moth and the lap joints the guy did on this coffee table is pretty wild!

Oh, ok. so it's kind of like a skiff... or whatever it's called.:confused2: Cool. I hope it turns out great!
I found out he actually built it so it fits in the back of his van, as they won't need it for every sail trip. Good to think ahead I guess.

That is awesome and some serious skills there @SHIFTY

What Miter saw are people really liking? I’m still using my very first miter saw, the ol’ Harbor Freight Chicago Electric. I’m looking to pick up something nicer as I feel like my 45 cuts are always off no matter how precise and no matter how often I check that my blade is properly aligned. I saw the Delta Cruzer and how compact it is looks nice. I really like Milwaukee but where I’m not moving my saw from site to site I don’t think the battery powered is necessary and almost prefer the cord. I’m strictly using it for home projects, not commercial.

What Miter saw are people really liking? I’m still using my very first miter saw, the ol’ Harbor Freight Chicago Electric. I’m looking to pick up something nicer as I feel like my 45 cuts are always off no matter how precise and no matter how often I check that my blade is properly aligned. I saw the Delta Cruzer and how compact it is looks nice. I really like Milwaukee but where I’m not moving my saw from site to site I don’t think the battery powered is necessary and almost prefer the cord. I’m strictly using it for home projects, not commercial.

If I were in the market for a new slider this is where I would be looking to put my money.

A few years ago I picked up a Kobalt dual bevel compound sliding miter saw from Lowe's. I think it's a 12". I like it. The only drawback is the laser for marking the saw kerf is off just a touch but I knew that was an issue from reading reviews online. So I don't use that for anything but a reference. I'll use a straightedge or speed square to mark my cut and adjust the lumber on the base to make sure the kerf is where I want it for an accurate cut. The saw has cut everything I've thrown at it... some crown moulding, some pressure treated lumber for a handicap ramp, some 2x4's, some 4x4's. I'm not using it for heavy construction or anything but I think it would do well if I did. And it's going to be used for my deck resurfacing next spring. I just replaced the original blade with a Dewalt blade and it's ready to rock! I'll probably replace that with a Forrest or Diablo or something better in the future although the standard blades offered by most manufacturers will most likely meet my needs.

You can get a 12" dual bevel compound slider from Lowe's for $399 although that Bosch posted above is nice!:love:

Lowe's has a Metabo (HPT) 12" dual bevel compound sliding saw for $399... a bit less than the Delta Cruzer you're looking at. Dewalt's offering is the same price. Kobalt's is $70 lower... I've heard that Metabo (HPT) is good stuff... they're Metabo Hitachi Power Tool... same Hitachi's they've always been, just under the Metabo parent brand name.:confused2:

Really, you can't go wrong with Dewalt or Metabo, Kobalt or Delta, or Bosch.

My experience with Metabo is I've got a Metabo HPT skilsaw and love that thing. It replaced an old Skilsaw with bearings that were going bad. No issues with that saw at all and I don't think I'd hesitate to buy any other Metabo HPT tool in the future.

A few years ago I picked up a Kobalt dual bevel compound sliding miter saw from Lowe's. I think it's a 12". I like it. The only drawback is the laser for marking the saw kerf is off just a touch but I knew that was an issue from reading reviews online. So I don't use that for anything but a reference. I'll use a straightedge or speed square to mark my cut and adjust the lumber on the base to make sure the kerf is where I want it for an accurate cut. The saw has cut everything I've thrown at it... some crown moulding, some pressure treated lumber for a handicap ramp, some 2x4's, some 4x4's. I'm not using it for heavy construction or anything but I think it would do well if I did. And it's going to be used for my deck resurfacing next spring. I just replaced the original blade with a Dewalt blade and it's ready to rock! I'll probably replace that with a Forrest or Diablo or something better in the future although the standard blades offered by most manufacturers will most likely meet my needs.

You can get a 12" dual bevel compound slider from Lowe's for $399 although that Bosch posted above is nice!:love:

Lowe's has a Metabo (HPT) 12" dual bevel compound sliding saw for $399... a bit less than the Delta Cruzer you're looking at. Dewalt's offering is the same price. Kobalt's is $70 lower... I've heard that Metabo (HPT) is good stuff... they're Metabo Hitachi Power Tool... same Hitachi's they've always been, just under the Metabo parent brand name.:confused2:

Really, you can't go wrong with Dewalt or Metabo, Kobalt or Delta, or Bosch.

My experience with Metabo is I've got a Metabo HPT skilsaw and love that thing. It replaced an old Skilsaw with bearings that were going bad. No issues with that saw at all and I don't think I'd hesitate to buy any other Metabo HPT tool in the future.
Last week there was a sale on the Metabo 12” dual compound, non slider, for 199 and I jumped at that. It’s pretty awesome, what I’ve seen has backed up all the reviews out there

Last week there was a sale on the Metabo 12” dual compound, non slider, for 199 and I jumped at that. It’s pretty awesome, what I’ve seen has backed up all the reviews out there
Well, there you go! That's an AWESOME price for a good saw... Oh. Non slider. Still a good price for that saw.

Well, there you go! That's an AWESOME price for a good saw... Oh. Non slider. Still a good price for that saw.
I didn’t need the slider, so it made sense at that price.

Looking at going the Metabo Slider miter saw as it seems like they are a good option at the price point.

Question for all you woodworking experts:

I bought a wine barrel top that I want to use as a table top. The individual wood pieces are loosely joined (not sure how, I haven't pried them apart, but the whole top is kind of "floppy". I had 2 ideas on how to make this top:

1) tighten up the spaces between the board with a clamp/jig & attach them to 2 cross pieces underneath. If I did this I might have to attach a vertical rim underneath the barrel head top, just to make it look good.

2) take the wood barrel top apart & use a biscuit joiner to glue up the pieces, then attach that top to a set of legs (my wife wants black wrought iron - we're still negotiating).

I don't currently own a biscuit joiner, and was wondering how useful they are. I've seen lots of opinions both ways.

Question for all you woodworking experts:

I bought a wine barrel top that I want to use as a table top. The individual wood pieces are loosely joined (not sure how, I haven't pried them apart, but the whole top is kind of "floppy". I had 2 ideas on how to make this top:

1) tighten up the spaces between the board with a clamp/jig & attach them to 2 cross pieces underneath. If I did this I might have to attach a vertical rim underneath the barrel head top, just to make it look good.

2) take the wood barrel top apart & use a biscuit joiner to glue up the pieces, then attach that top to a set of legs (my wife wants black wrought iron - we're still negotiating).

I don't currently own a biscuit joiner, and was wondering how useful they are. I've seen lots of opinions both ways.

Don’t waste your money on a biscuit joiner. Biscuits help with alignment when laminating panels, but they don’t offer much other benefit. Long grain to long grain glue joints like that don’t usually need any extra mechanical strength, which biscuits offer very little of anyway. If you decide to go with option 2, just joint the edges and glue them together. The downside to laminating is the potential for the piece to warp with seasonal wood movement.

Option 3 would be join the boards with tongue and grove joints. Personally, I think that’s overkill for a table top.

I would probably just add some cross pieces, which are actually called battens, that can also be used as mounting points for the legs. Taper the ends and they should all but disappear from sight unless you’re under the table.

Hey all. New forum member here, and since my golf game certainly isn’t anything to talk about, I thought I’d post a few pictures of my past woodworking projects. I started woodworking about four years ago with only hand tools. The first four projects were built using only hand tools, but tendinitis made it untenable for me to keep doing hand tool only work. I had to add some power tools to the mix, or give up the hobby entirely, which I wasn’t willing to do after dreaming of having my own home shop for about 25 years. So, the last three projects were more power than hand tool.

My very first project - a double sided chalkboard easel I made for my daughter. Poplar with Danish Oil finish
4D94E5BB-A6BF-496B-8539-3A89B5C8D2BF.jpeg

Matching pair of cutting boards. Walnut and canarywood finished with Howard’s Butcher Block Conditioner
3FA114FD-186D-4E77-B665-751BB900CCE9.jpeg

Shoe Rack - A variation on Chris Schwarz’s bookshelf from The Anarchist’s Design Book. Stained pine with wipe on poly finish.
C046B559-E561-4EAB-940B-AFAB8C7B6D90.jpeg

Simple dice tower. Western Red Cedar with Renaissance Wax finish.
1CAB2230-E689-4FAA-A501-B7F01EE8F999.jpeg

Ancient Egyptian board game called Senet. Poplar with Polycrillic and paint finish. The graphics were made by transferring laser printer toner from paper to the wood.
CD950D75-554E-4996-8725-4DEF92DB8699.jpeg
B93E3573-5F53-4CEC-888A-DAE08C3EC1C9.jpeg

Original design napkin holder. Walnut with Tru Oil finish.
AC5AD79A-AD87-40EA-BC0A-66EA01227AF9.jpeg

My most recent project, and current woodworking obsession - a soprano ukulele for my daughter. I built this one from a kit purchased from Stew Mac.
F9A189DE-2D90-4234-A725-CA11C0F5C8A0.jpeg
4AB88961-89E0-4350-A8A6-DE234DB2B0C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Don’t waste your money on a biscuit joiner. Biscuits help with alignment when laminating panels, but they don’t offer much other benefit. Long grain to long grain glue joints like that don’t usually need any extra mechanical strength, which biscuits offer very little of anyway. If you decide to go with option 2, just joint the edges and glue them together. The downside to laminating is the potential for the piece to warp with seasonal wood movement.

Option 3 would be join the boards with tongue and grove joints. Personally, I think that’s overkill for a table top.

I would probably just add some cross pieces, which are actually called battens, that can also be used as mounting points for the legs. Taper the ends and they should all but disappear from sight unless you’re under the table.

While I agree with most of what you’ve written here, your opening sentences violate the “new project = new tool” axiom, and should be disregarded 😁

While I agree with most of what you’ve written here, your opening sentences violate the “new project = new tool” axiom, and should be disregarded 😁

🤣 Too true.

@Grins maybe go with the panel lamination fix then so you have a good excuse to buy a jointer plane or a power jointer. 😁

🤣 Too true.

@Grins maybe go with the panel lamination fix then so you have a good excuse to buy a jointer plane or a power jointer. 😁
I wish I did enough to justify a jointer...

Needing it once is justification.... once you have it just think of how many other projects you'll be able to do.... ;)
He’s not as dumb as he looks...

Back