Worst shot of the round

oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
Mine: Drive on the 1st hole (a par 5). Usually hit it about 260-280 (often slice the 1st shot and put it on the 9th fairway). Snap hooked it about 100 yards down, then it hits a tree solid, bounces back 120+ yards, lands on the roof of the clubhouse, and comes to rest on the back porch.

I didn't even notice; I just assumed it'd be up in the trees (use the yellow z-star so never have a problem finding it). As I'm walking off the box, somebody asks me who hit the yellow ball. My interest piques, and I go look and sure enough. Then I get the bouncy play by play from the people who saw it. The owner laughed and said she wished she had a camera b/c in it's history she doesn't think it had ever happened.

P.S. Free dropped it onto the grass nearby (no idea if considered OB and nobody really cared lol), then went into the trees, chipped out, went in trees down field, then up near the green, then a chip on and 1 putt for double.

Last edited:
Not a single bad hole. But I did lose all 8 of my balls, 6 on the front... luckily a lot of people lose balls there so it wasn't hard to find replacements.

Mine came right after my best shot of the day (funny how that works), I almost drove the green on the 14th hole, got up for a nice simple 30 yard chip shot, shanked the crap out of it, it hit the cart tire then hit me in the shin!

I had a nice long drive on a par 5 and my approach shot missed the green by a foot and the nicely rolled into the bunker. I set up for a nice out of the bunker, got distracted and launched my ball over the green and into the deep desert behind it. I never found my ball and ruined a chance for a bird!!!

Worst shot? First swing on the first hole giant slice OB left.

Worst shot? First swing on the first hole giant slice OB left.

Wait, D, your a lefty?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Mine will almost always be a two foot putt that down grade and right to left. That was the case for my last round, yesterday--I missed that sucker!

Mine came right after my best shot of the day (funny how that works), I almost drove the green on the 14th hole, got up for a nice simple 30 yard chip shot, shanked the crap out of it, it hit the cart tire then hit me in the shin!

Wow, that would be like a penalty for hitting your equipment and then for hitting yourself. Oops.

I like how some have said they followed their best shot of the day with the worst of the round. I was on the 2nd hole and tried to lay back of the 2nd stream that we have to cross. Well, the ball flew weak and to the right, leaving me with over 200 yards and basically another layup. I don't know what it is about trying to hit one easy, but I knocked the 30 degrees to the right, instead of over or into the creek, basically up an access path on the wrong side of the creek from the hole. Pretty bad shot, right? I was just getting started. I found the ball up the gravel path with a pretty low but clear window thru the trees and over the creek looking at the front of the green. I had to carry the ball 30-40 yards across the creek and hope to stop it in a 50 yard window before the woods on the other side.

Not a chance. Kept it low with a 5 iron punch but hit it at least a 100 yards in the air. Flew into the woods and poison ivy on the other side... bye-bye.

I like how some have said they followed their best shot of the day with the worst of the round. I was on the 2nd hole and tried to lay back of the 2nd stream that we have to cross. Well, the ball flew weak and to the right, leaving me with over 200 yards and basically another layup. I don't know what it is about trying to hit one easy, but I knocked the 30 degrees to the right, instead of over or into the creek, basically up an access path on the wrong side of the creek from the hole. Pretty bad shot, right? I was just getting started. I found the ball up the gravel path with a pretty low but clear window thru the trees and over the creek looking at the front of the green. I had to carry the ball 30-40 yards across the creek and hope to stop it in a 50 yard window before the woods on the other side.

Not a chance. Kept it low with a 5 iron punch but hit it at least a 100 yards in the air. Flew into the woods and poison ivy on the other side... bye-bye.

I think the problem is when people try to take something off their shots they don't clear their wrists through impact. When this happens the result is an open face and slow clubhead speed at impact, leading to a weak slice. I've found it's a much better idea to club down or choke up and swing normally than to take something off the shot. If you must take something off a club, it's better to attenuate the backswing and swing through normally.

I think the problem is when people try to take something off their shots they don't clear their wrists through impact. When this happens the result is an open face and slow clubhead speed at impact, leading to a weak slice. I've found it's a much better idea to club down or choke up and swing normally than to take something off the shot. If you must take something off a club, it's better to attenuate the backswing and swing through normally.

I've got to try that -- I've killed myself in the last two rounds with "flared" irons that have ended up in awful places and even out of bounds in one case. I need to go aggressive through the swing to my left side.

I hit the right greenside bunker on my approach to the last hole.

Wanted to blast it out, open clubface, big swing. When i hear and feel hitting the ball, i immediatly know i'm in trouble.
I then watch the ball take flight for the most beautiful long flop i've hit yet... to find the bunker on the other side of the green.
blast it out there, 2 putt for double bogey. Didn't exactly ruin everything, last hole and all, but it prevented me from adding "double bogey-free" to the best round i've played so far.

Monday I was walking nine. I started out great going par, birdie, par then I get to the fourth which is a 195yd par 3 over water. I pulled my 5 iron and made one of the worst swings ive made in a very long time. One of those where the bleep did that come from moments. It sliced so bad I thought it was gonna bomarange back to me. LOL ended up making dbl on the hole, then it was par, bogey all the way in for a 40.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

I was laying 2 about 25 yards short of the green on a par 4. The pin was tucked and I needed to carry a greenside bunker. My ball was right next to OB, which ran the full length of the fairway. I opened up my 60* wedge and went for the flop. The rough grabbed the club and I shanked the ball 90* right, OB. It was such a WTF moment that I didn't consider changing clubs to get better turf interaction. Nope I went right ahead and did the exact same thing again just for fun. #cookiewontletmedothatinvegas

That would be my whiff.

Hit a foot behind the ball and the clubhead went over the ball.

On Sunday I top-sliced a hybrid tee shot about 200 mph, a yard off the ground into a tree trunk for about 75 yards. Was on the first hole too and set the tone for a triple bogey fight through the trees. Urgh.

I swung and missed on a punch out shot yesterday.

Ball was below my feet but still no excuse.

The guys loudly said "nice practice swing". :)

#golfishard

I hit a "drive" yesterday that barely made it by the ladies tee. Followed it up with a crushed 3 wood and PW to 3 feet to tie my opponents and bring it to an extra hole. Good birdie considering the tee shot.

I was 100 out with my most reliable club in my hands. Feeling pretty confident, I take my swing, shanked straight right OB. Drop and hit again. Hit on and two putt for double bogie.

My worst shot yesterday was a dead pull hook that went through a pine tree (60 yards away) and landed in grass about a foot deep. I was so over the top and had that club face so close. It was UGLY! Lucky for me I found the ball and was able to close my eyes and swing real hard at it. Landed about 30 yards short of the green and I got up and down. Good thing my first one hit that pine tree.....Or someone's garage would have gotten a nice dent! Doh!

2 shank with my 60 wedge on back to back holes, my partner enjoyed it :p

I did somethig stupid today

I did somethig stupid today

I don't know why I did it, maybe it was to see if I could.

I attempted a lob shot, 30 yards out, on a tight lie, with a 60* wedge.

It did not work out well, bladed the ball clear across the green and another 50 yards further :at-wits-end: :banghead::bad:

Hahah, been there dude. GG was in my group when I bladed a shot out of a greenside trap down the road and icejacked an escalade LOL!

It happens, silly game!

Man I've done that before, certainly a lesson when it happens lol.

Haha was this the first time it's happened? I've done it many times. I'd like to say it gets easier to take each time but that's a lie.

Back