Would you ever consider playing a par5 with a lay up tee shot?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Your on a P5 (not super long) and you know is not reachable or too dangerous to attempt and you never try even after a good drive.

In discussing managing ones game I've often discussed putting myself in position "A" on a basic P4 even if that means using a lay up tee shot vs the driver/3wood. The idea would be to play to your strengths and play to what the course gives you. At least for better management of certain holes for me over all. Many have agreed with such logic and say they also play sinilarly.

Well what about a P5 in the above scenario? Knowing its a 3shot hole for you would you consider lay up tee shot? Sort of with the same logic of being in position "A" as on the P4 but we now look at two positions instead. The logic here is to obtain position "A" to best help set up for and then obtain positon "B".

Perhaps for examples = 5w, 6iron, wedge. Or may be 4iron, 4 iron, wedge. Or maybe 3hyb, 5iron, wedge. Whatever, but you get the point. or is it alwys a big stick for the longest tee shot regardless.

I've done it, but very rarely.

I would definitely consider laying up, but it's rarely needed. It depends on the hole too, where trouble is and what not. If taking 4 iron off the tee and staying away from trouble is the best play, which allows me to have a clean 2nd (and hopefully 3rd) shot, I'd do it no problem.

All the time.
If I cant get home in two, I am almost ALWAYS looking at the numbers to where I want to be and the safest play.

Sure, I would consider it, especially if I am not driving well that day. I usually lay up to a number anyway, so this is no different.

Now, par 5 holes that force you to lay up on a tee shot (because of hazards, etc), I hate those kind of holes.

Do this quite a bit actually. A course nearby has a 560 yard par 5 with some tough terrain to the left (I'm a lefty and I play a baby fade with my driver) I hit hybrid - hybrid - Wedge every single time. Make a par about 90% of the time and couldn't be happier

I would definitely consider laying up, but it's rarely needed. It depends on the hole too, where trouble is and what not. If taking 4 iron off the tee and staying away from trouble is the best play, which allows me to have a clean 2nd (and hopefully 3rd) shot, I'd do it no problem.

one the reasons i braught it up was what you mention. A specific hole I play has some risk at driver distance. Not a whole lot but many end up in it and I often think that if its a 3shot hole anyway even if not in the trouble then why not just play the safest three shots at the more comfortable relaitve distances to ones liking anyway.

I do it all the time.

I always try and put myself in the best place to score. If that means laying up on a par 5 because it's going to take 3 shots anyways, I will do it.

Indeed, placement is a lot more important than distance, especially if I can't get there in two anyways.

I would not layup, it puts way too much pressure on the 2nd shot. It almost forces one to use a wood from the fairway on their second.

Now I'm not above taking a 4w off the tee for position but I know I can get after that if need be

Sure would. I am known as "the most boring golfer" to a lot of my golf buddies for reasons like this. Slow and steady, no need to force things if you are golfing recreationally (albeit, maybe a side pot) and want to score well. I traditionally have a steady 3i/4i that can get me out there 220-, that helps quite a bit.

Frequently.

Like others have said, if I definitely can't get there in 2, then I will look to where the safest places are and plan accordingly to take as much of the trouble out of play as possible

yep, quite frequently. There's a course I play semi reguarly that is 490 par 5. It's 220 downhill to a cross hazard, and 260'ish to carry it. I can't carry it, so I usually hit 5W or hybrid off the tee, to about 200 yards.

2nd shot is then about 290 and uphill, with OB right and tress left. So it's usually another hybrid of 190 to 200 yards, to leave me about 85 to 100 yards in, which is a comforable gap wedge for me.

With jb and others, if I can't hit it in two I'll hit two hybrids or whatever puts my third shot at an ideal distance for a close birdie..

Sure would. I am known as "the most boring golfer" to a lot of my golf buddies for reasons like this. Slow and steady, no need to force things if you are golfing recreationally (albeit, maybe a side pot) and want to score well. I traditionally have a steady 3i/4i that can get me out there 220-, that helps quite a bit.

Same experience with my playing group, except the nicknames are a little more colorful. It's usually followed up by grumbling on the next tee because someone had to write a 7 on their scorecard. HA! Suckers!

The par 5 at the course I played growing up was always a better 5iron, 4iron, W hole rather than Driver, 6 iron.

It pinches at the 230 mark and is a recipe for lost balls.

I think alot depends on your driver landing area and just what it looks like risk wise and/or how well your drivng that day.

So many people in another thread about "driver use" said it comes out on every P5 and is partly why i asked this question. Though i do think on most ocasions and on most P5's its driver and not usualy a bad thing. But for many reasons that are legit it doesnt have to be and many times its about making better choices to help your chances while in certain given situations.

The first hole on the course I play most is a 475 yard Par 5 dogleg right with OB along the entire left side. Fairway bunker at the dogleg to collect any shots that go through the dogleg. It's easily reachable for me with the driver, and most of the time with a 3W. Since I don't intentionally shape shots left to right, I always lay up short of the bunker. Pretty much takes out any chance of going for it in 2 though.

I only wished I played as good as my good logic.

I sure as heck can properly think my way through a hole with the best of them and with great success :)
But it doesnt often end up that way :(

If it's not even close to reachable, I'll pull out a hybrid or 3 wood off the tee. I have had the occasional 4 or 5 iron off the tee as well. All depends on trouble and how I'm hitting the ball.

I do it all the time on a par 5 at my home course where there is a dogleg, 210y is enough to turn the corner and a longer drive is useless.

I should do it on the 530 yards par 5 too, since i dont ever drive far enough to have a decent shot at it

Depends on the hole I suppose. I've definitely played less than 3W off the tee on a par 5 before and would have no trouble doing so again if that was the safe play for me. First hole in league is a sharp dogleg left. A lot of guys will try to draw it or fly the trees. I usually hit a 5W or 4H depending on wind off the tee just to get to the corner, then play it like a par 4 from there.

Right now my driver is probably the best part of my game, so unless the hole is laid out in a way that makes it virtually impossible to play drive a tee shot with a driver, I'm going to pull driver. A recent example, for me, is the 18th at Eagle Glen. A split fairway demands either a 200 yard tee shot or a 240 yard forced carry over a water hazard. I think something like that is about the only time I'd consider playing a lay-up club off the tee on a par 5.

Would you ever consider playing a par5 with a lay up tee shot?

Discussed often but never attempted.

510 yard par 5 = three 7 irons

Maybe more extreme than some other examples but basically impossible to get into any trouble.

Last edited:
Back