Would you rather....

There's a big difference between losing to great play and getting carried.

Saturday morning I got carried by fairband, we lost, and I don't feel good about it.

Sunday morning I played great and got beat by lightningbolt44 who played amazing, and I feel just fine about it.

There's no way I'd feel like I contributed in a team setting if I shot a 268 and still won. That would be a trophy somebody else deserved to take home. All that is doing is risking your team losing.

In team play it can be anything. It could be as little as making one of their players tired, taking on one of their best teams and losing, cheering guys up. A team does not carry players, it stands united as one. If I am in a MLB lineup and I go 0-4 in the series, but we win, I am a part of that. Maybe it was making the pitcher throw more pitches, maybe it was cheering up a guy or making him laugh. It could be anything. But TO ME, the idea that my personal play matters more than the team's outcome overall is a selfish outlook.

Now saying that I am CLEARLY speaking FOR MYSELF only. I dont care what anybody else thinks honestly. But if I am tasked with putting my own team together, I would want guys that only care about the welfare of the team as a whole.

I think any team player will take the win first but as a competitor will also be not happy if they played poorly.

In team play it can be anything. It could be as little as making one of their players tired, taking on one of their best teams and losing, cheering guys up. A team does not carry players, it stands united as one. If I am in a MLB lineup and I go 0-4 in the series, but we win, I am a part of that. Maybe it was making the pitcher throw more pitches, maybe it was cheering up a guy or making him laugh. It could be anything. But TO ME, the idea that my personal play matters more than the team's outcome overall is a selfish outlook.

Now saying that I am CLEARLY speaking FOR MYSELF only. I dont care what anybody else thinks honestly. But if I am tasked with putting my own team together, I would want guys that only care about the welfare of the team as a whole.

If being selective were ever an option, I would only ask for a couple things when leading another THP-centric squad.

1 - Care about this site and the sponsors that make the event happen.
2 - Care about each other and create bonds leading up to the event through transparent communication (read: forum).
3 - Come to the event better, both physically and mentally.
4 - Play to win, but have fun.
5 - Lose gracefully, if it comes to that.

I would much rather play poor golf and win. It's a team game and a win is a win. I would still be happy that way.
No matter how well I play, if we lose I'm not going to be as happy.

The last sentence is pure gold

You win and lose as a team, I care about the team more than personal wins/losses.

You win and lose as a team, I care about the team more than personal wins/losses.

#TheGauntlet. It's a "we" thing. :good:

Some of these responses have nothing to do what with the OP asked in his 2 part type questions.
Unless I'm misunderstanding it, he is asking "as an indivual".

The team is the only thing that matters. I want to contribute as much as possible and would hope to be able to put points on the board, but if they team comes out in front in the end, that's all that matters to me.

If I play amazing, win, but the team loses, that win means nothing. Disappointment is all the same and completely dependent on the team result.

Since I realize, I havent actually answered, I feel the same way as this.
I imagine every person here who has a competitive bone in their body does as well. No one can get their ass thrashed and not feel bummed about it, can they? Yet, at the end of the day, if I'm as competitive as I think I am, I know I went out there and gave it my all ... and I can rest my head on my pillow that night and sleep easy. Maybe I'm annoyed with the feeling that I let the team down in some way, but safe in the knowledge I laid it all out there and hope that I helped in other ways that may not be able to be as easily measured as a win/loss.

Plus, team victories are always a great salve for individual defeats.

I would rather play poor golf and win. It is a team sport at that point and you can no longer think of just yourself. I personally would still not feel great as i knew i didn't truly contribute as much as i could. But at the end of the day I golf for the enjoyment of it. So win or lose i feel as tho i won since I was golfing. Just my 2 cents.

I would rather play terrible and have the team win. As long as I gave it all I had, even if that means it was some crappy golf, the goal would be a team win. I would just have to buy an extra round at the bar afterward to make it up to the team!

Team event? Play poor golf and win.

Individual event? Play poor golf and win.

I would certainly be disappointed if I played poorly, but if the team won despite my poor play, then Id be stoked and prefer to have the team victory. Its always about the win.

#JustWinBaby

I used to coach a little football years ago, I used to tell my players, "I don't care what the score board says, you play your best, give your best effort and the score board will take care of its self, sometimes it will say what we want, other times it will not say what we want, but in the end, if we do our best, we all win"

just imo, that is what "team" is all about, leave all out on the course and be proud to have played well regardless of outcome

I'd rather the team win for sure. Would help me feel better. I have a strong competitive side and I'd be disappointed in playing poorly but the celebration an camaraderie of the team would help that bad taste go down faster.

Playing bad and having your team lose would be the worse. I know me. I'd blame myself for letting the team down.

I would take the team win. No joy for the guy on the losing side who wins his matches.

This is a tough one for me to answer. I'm a pretty competitive person, and I hate to lose. I'm still a beginner, though. Most people (and especially most people that play in competitive events) are quite a bit better than me. I pretty much always expect to lose at this point.

I also have a lot more fun when I'm playing well (by my standards) regardless of how it compares to anyone else on the course. How I'd feel about the situation would depend on who I was playing with, who I was playing with, and what the expectations were going in. I'd be disappointed with a loss, but I'd also wouldn't feel right celebrating a win I did nothing to help achieve.

The bottom line is that I'd be somewhat disappointed either way, so I guess I'd rather play well personally. At least then I'd enjoy the time spent on the course more.

If being selective were ever an option, I would only ask for a couple things when leading another THP-centric squad.

1 - Care about this site and the sponsors that make the event happen.
2 - Care about each other and create bonds leading up to the event through transparent communication (read: forum).
3 - Come to the event better, both physically and mentally.
4 - Play to win, but have fun.
5 - Lose gracefully, if it comes to that.
I experienced this first hand, and it's what makes you such an outstanding Captain, but even better friend.

Even though there is a team, it's a series of individual matches. What is the single best I can contribute to a winning team? By playing well. Sure there is supporting your teammates and not letting your misfortunes affect others, and those are important factors. But there is only one thing I can control and that is my effort and my game.

So sure, I could play lights out and we lose. And if I played bad and we won, it would be bittersweet. I would also keep it to myself and put on the good face for everyone. But I would always happier be a reason we might have won on a losing team than a reason we might have lost on a winning team.

And I say this having been both guys on the baseball diamond many times. It's the nature of being a relief pitcher, many times the closer. I slept a whole lot better the nights of the losses when I did my part. I was many times up all night with guilt over having not done my part the nights we won. I cannot control what my teammates do. I also wouldn't blame my teammates if they were the reason the team lost. Reading the posts in here it seems like I am the minority here. Okay, fine. It's who I am.

Last edited:
It's all about the team! Two years ago I played very poorly at the Morgan Cup, but being a part of the winning team is something I will never ever forget.

I would much rather the team win. As much as I always want to do well, the team is what matters in a team competition.

TEAM =

Together

Each

Accomplishes

More

For me, it would have nothing to do with winning or losing. When I walk away after the round I just want to be able answer yes to one question that I ask myself. Did I play the best golf that I could that given day? By that I mean did I play every shot with a positive mental thought and not let other shots or situations bury my game. If I can answer that question yes, then I can win/lose individually or as a team in any combination and walk away as proud as can be.

I'd definitely take playing poorly but team still wins. If it's a team event, my goal is for my team to win. I look at it just like any other team sport. I know growing up playing basketball I had great individual games and lost and terrible individual games and won. I always felt better walking off the court with a win, didn't matter how I did individually.

365921.jpg

Back