Wyndham Clark's 60 @ Pebble, Course Record or not?

I wouldn't leave three straight putts short like that.
No, you wouldnt. Definitely would blow them by the hole by 10 feet like me.

Course record for sure, he played by the rules in place.

I wouldn't leave three straight putts short like that.
Hell no, gotta gas one just to break the trend if anything

I'm not sure how much LCP really helps a pro who is gonna hit ball first. I'm not sure it helps me that much to be honest. At least on normal days

If the weather is bad/wet enough that LCP is needed, there's probably areas that are going to hurt as well (like fairway roll etc). I saw one tee ball that stuck into the ground on a downhill lie from 156 out or whatever. On a normal day he probably has 120 in.

It's give and take.

It would be a better argument to say it doesn't count since there was no pressure as the PGA is the second best tour and mostly just exhibition golf at this point

Course record.

It was the rule of the day that everyone adhered to. Looking at the opposite, can a course record be shot when it is sunny, calm, and perfect conditions? Does it count less versus when it is raining or windy, or both? The LCP was more to keep things playable

I say it’s his (Clark’s) record. I understand the distinction… but, one better is one better.

It is a record, absolutely!

I have no idea what the conditions were the last time a course record was shot (61 at a 2017 college event). I would guess the conditions that day considering the event were maybe easier than a PGA event? Clark played by the rules of the day and played well.

That drop at 16 was definitely questionable, but he had a rules official look at it before he took the drop and didn’t “cheat” like some have said. LCP was in effect because of the course conditions; it isn’t like he was some random dude playing his own rules and got the record.

Would the ball have plugged in the bunker on 12 if the conditions were “normal”? Maybe, maybe not. I am sure every player had some bad luck based on conditions throughout the day.

I didn't think it was a bad drop given the rules they were playing under. I also agree some other situations might have been negatively impacted by the conditions.

A lot has been said about Clark's 60 @ Pebble Beach this last weekend, skyfisters arguing that lift, clean and place should not allow for a course record, etc etc. Since then, there has been a lot of back and forth on whether it should now be considered the Course Record or not because of the ball in hand rule that was in effect vs playing it down.

Should it be the Course Record at Pebble Beach?
Best round?
Course Record* ?

Thoughts?
Since it was done with in the rules at the time, it should count at it's highest level. Imo, it's the course record.

The best argument I have seen was comparing it to Official World Records in running/sprinting. If the wind is aiding over a certain amount, it is considered a win, but not considered a record.
I've seen this and it does kind of make since. As Canadan posted above he did catch a break that he might not have, had the course not been lift clean and place. He also has the ability to clean the ball and place it perfect lie in the fairways. If not playing in that then you could have a little mud on the ball or get a lie in a divot that you have to play out of. It's an argument that can go either way. I say best score and tournament record but not course record. I may be a little biased wanting the former Red Raider to keep it though. :ROFLMAO:

Either way it was still a heck of a round and amazing putting performance.

Course record IMO.

As long as he posts his score I don’t see an issue, from our buddies at USGA⤵️

Playing under preferred lies: The course may adopt a Local Rule for preferred lies (lift, clean and place) if warranted. This Local Rule should be limited in duration and decided on a daily basis. Scores made while the Local Rule for preferred lies is in effect must be posted for handicap purposes – unless score-posting has been temporarily suspended. Check with the course before teeing off. If a player chooses to adopt preferred lies on their own, their score should still be posted for handicap purposes. However, keep in mind that frequent use of preferred lies can result in a Handicap Index® that is too low.

People can and will call that round many different things, but the number 60 wont vary. If courses want to have a record with and without lift, clean and place rule in effect, I don’t have an issue with that as it seems reasonable.

Pretty sure it would be easy to be happy with 60, with or without the yellow sticker on the card.👌

LCP and the soft conditions made the course play just about as easy as it could. There would have likely been a tournament scoring record as well if the 4th round was splayed in the same conditions as the first 3 days. These guys just eat up soft surfaces. All that said, its still a CR.

Yes, it’s a record. lift, clean and place does make it easier to score

It's a course record. It was played in conformance with the Rules of Golf, during a sanctioned PGA Tour event, playing the same conditions everybody else was playing.

with open-toe sandals!
Family Guy Pain GIF

we don't asterisk other tournament wins when conditions make scoring easier.

Back