Wyndham Clark's 60 @ Pebble, Course Record or not?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
A lot has been said about Clark's 60 @ Pebble Beach this last weekend, skyfisters arguing that lift, clean and place should not allow for a course record, etc etc. Since then, there has been a lot of back and forth on whether it should now be considered the Course Record or not because of the ball in hand rule that was in effect vs playing it down.

Should it be the Course Record at Pebble Beach?
Best round?
Course Record* ?

Thoughts?

It's a record.

he played by the rules of the day. Course record.

Course record for sure. It's not like LCP was applied no matter where the ball ended up, and the course was truly soaked.

Best round not course record

Everybody plays by the same rules so it should stand. Interesting fact I heard that the DPWT does not acknowledge any records from rounds using preferred lies. If only that putt on 17 dropped it woulda been a 59

This is so absurd. It is a course record without a doubt. People need to get over their negativity and appreciate history when it happens. He didn't get it with buying mulligans or throws. He played the course and followed the rules there were presented that day. End of story.

Its the record, and skyfisters can kick rocks.

I dont care if it was lift clean and cheat. He hit the shots and made the putts. There was a sketchy drop but whatever. It is a record..

Definitely a course record. They had more struggles due to conditions than they had advantages.

It’s 100% the record! He played within the rules. I didn’t see anybody else shooting a 60.

I will say, generally I don't get emotional about records on lift/clean/place - but there is no doubt in my mind that the drop he received on whatever hole that was that went from deep rough (definitely not embedded, we saw the bounce) to a nearly perfect lie, saved him at least one stroke.

That said, he left three putts on the front door, so really, things tend to balance out I guess.

Definitely a course record. They had more struggles due to conditions than they had advantages.

I was inclined to say no it should have an asterisk next to it. However I didn't consider the way the the conditions impacted the rest of the round. Now I am not sure. Certainly on I think it was 16 he wouldn't have been able to get to the green from where he hit his tee ball. It was a tough day overall though.

no, you have to pay for your round for the record to count there. All 1,000 dollars lmao
Lol, that's a take if I have ever seen one.

I think so.

He didn't break any rules, so it should stand.

I will say, generally I don't get emotional about records on lift/clean/place - but there is no doubt in my mind that the drop he received on whatever hole that was that went from deep rough (definitely not embedded, we saw the bounce) to a nearly perfect lie, saved him at least one stroke.

That said, he left three putts on the front door, so really, things tend to balance out I guess.
The best argument I have seen was comparing it to Official World Records in running/sprinting. If the wind is aiding over a certain amount, it is considered a win, but not considered a record.

Seems like something silly to be upset about but not I shouldn't be shocked. It's a record he played the rules as they were that day.

It counts. He made it around the course the same way everyone else did rules and likely weather wise too.

Only way it doesn’t count ever is if @ddec does it.

It was the rule that day. Its a course record.

It counts. He made it around the course the same way everyone else did rules and likely weather wise too.

Only way it doesn’t count ever is if @ddec does it.
I wouldn't leave three straight putts short like that.

LCP didn’t help his driving distance and didn’t mean **** because he still made 190’ of putts.

I was inclined to say no it should have an asterisk next to it. However I didn't consider the way the the conditions impacted the rest of the round. Now I am not sure. Certainly on I think it was 16 he wouldn't have been able to get to the green from where he hit his tee ball. It was a tough day overall though.
I have no idea what the conditions were the last time a course record was shot (61 at a 2017 college event). I would guess the conditions that day considering the event were maybe easier than a PGA event? Clark played by the rules of the day and played well.

That drop at 16 was definitely questionable, but he had a rules official look at it before he took the drop and didn’t “cheat” like some have said. LCP was in effect because of the course conditions; it isn’t like he was some random dude playing his own rules and got the record.

Would the ball have plugged in the bunker on 12 if the conditions were “normal”? Maybe, maybe not. I am sure every player had some bad luck based on conditions throughout the day.

Yes, it is a course record regardless of the lift, clean and place in effect. Those were the rules for that day for everyone.

Back