You move. Do your team allegiances change?

Well? Do you switch squads?

• This is the way!

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Of course not!

Votes: 83 89.2%

• Total voters
Probably stick with teams from this area but also start to root for the new home team too. This is heavily dependent on where I move too. I could move to Pittsburg and never be a Steelers fan because I like the Bengals so much and they are still only a couple of hours.

I will always support my birth hometown teams. But I will also support the local teams. Sometime those secondary teams become teams I root for permanently, other times I stop caring about them when I move away. The one exception is hockey, where it is the Red Wings and no one else.
Another Hockey fan speaks, as an Avs fan I completely respect this.

I posted my thoughts in other thread. I can’t change my allegiances because I moved. I’m not in that situation but if I moved I have too much history and they are too large a part of me to switch. It wouldn’t be real. I wouldn’t care about the new teams in a real way.

I posted my thoughts in other thread. I can’t change my allegiances because I moved. I’m not in that situation but if I moved I have too much history and they are too large a part of me to switch. It wouldn’t be real. I wouldn’t care about the new teams in a real way.

Well said!

I agree with this 100%. As a hockey fan, if you root for 2 different teams I may question your fandom. There is no one but Avalanche in my life. Sure its fun watching Chicago and Bedard, but do I root for them.....hell NO!!
I root for two hockey teams and support both and have.

It depends on the depth of the allegiance and who did the moving. I grew up a Yankees fan. When I moved to Boston, it would never have occurred to me in a million years to convert to a sox fan. That would be blasphemy. I saw more baseball games in Fenway than in all other MLB stadiums combined, but no way would I have changed sides.

When the Hartford Whalers moved, my allegiance did not move with them. I simply became a Rangers fan (at the time my 2nd favorite team).

For football and basketball, on the other hand, I am more of a casual fan, and am happy to follow local teams wherever I've lived.

Which two?

For me personally its just a no can do. There are teams I like to watch, but support......I just cant. I mean I was fortunate enough to become an AVS fan during their inception, went to their first game at McNichols area, their first year....it was magic. Never have gotten off that high, I was sold for life.

Probably could say the same for the Nuggets too. Been a fan since the Issel/English era, my dad took me to many Nuggets games as a kid, and its been torturous to be a fan for all these years, but have spent a lot of money as I moved away to watch their games on TV.

I split the difference. I live in New England but have been a Braves and Bills fan since I was young. I actively root for my local teams unless they're playing my original teams 🤷‍♂️

When the Hartford Whalers moved, my allegiance did not move with them. I simply became a Rangers fan (at the time my 2nd favorite team).
Whalers.....best jersey in the NHL.

Even though I was born in LA I grew up a NY Mets fan bc of my dad. Went to college in AZ and didnt switch to the diamondbacks. I did enjoy watching the suns as it was the run and gun era but I’m still a Clippers fan (dad didn’t force his knicks fandom on me). For NFL I grew up a chargers fan but gave up on them when they left SD to be renters in LA. My fandom is all over the map. I won’t adopt a team just because I move to the area

I agree with this 100%. As a hockey fan, if you root for 2 different teams I may question your fandom. There is no one but Avalanche in my life. Sure its fun watching Chicago and Bedard, but do I root for them.....hell NO!!
The Avs have also had incredible teams numerous times in the last couple decades.

It's easy to cheer for a team religiously and exclusively when they are really freaking good.

Which two?

For me personally its just a no can do. There are teams I like to watch, but support......I just cant. I mean I was fortunate enough to become an AVS fan during their inception, went to their first game at McNichols area, their first year....it was magic. Never have gotten off that high, I was sold for life.

Probably could say the same for the Nuggets too. Been a fan since the Issel/English era, my dad took me to many Nuggets games as a kid, and its been torturous to be a fan for all these years, but have spent a lot of money as I moved away to watch their games on TV.
The Bolts and Cats.

Nope. My allegiance remains the same.

As do I. Bruins fan since childhood; Lightning fan because I frequently spend time in Tampa and have attended numerous Lightning Home games.

The Bolts and Cats.
Interesting, you would think it would be one or the other in FLA. good 5 year run for you.

Considering I've lived in the same area my entire life, my allegiance has never wavered. It wouldn't even if I moved though. I would have the NFL package (Redskins) & NHL (Caps) to catch all the games. No issue with MLB (St. Louis), I'd just watch them in person vs the closest team to wherever I live just like I do now. I go to the Cards vs Nats games every year. (y)

Nope... I might adapt and carve out some fandom for the new sports teams, as long as it's not a divisional rival

I’ve moved a lot over the years and have never switched allegiances, just doesn’t feel organic to me. To this day I still stream sports talk in the car from my home city.

Loyal to the end. I’ve lived near Buffalo for almost 30 years. Still rooting for my NY teams, even the Jets.

I've kept my Detroit allegiances, but I'm the sameish distance from there and 4 other sports cities

If it's the same sport/league/level and I was actually a supporter? No way I'm switching.

But a new sport or a different league/level? I might eventually became a supporter of the home town team.

If it's the same sport/league/level and I was actually a supporter? No way I'm switching.

But a new sport or a different league/level? I might eventually became a supporter of the home town team.
Yeah. This makes sense to me. If I moved NHL would team would be on the block. I never got pulled into the sharks bandwagon. The couple runs they’ve had are fun to be around but I’m not emotionally attached.

@JB says this is the way. I say it is lunacy.

If I moved to Baltimore I should become a Ravens fan? Insane.
Don't you have a Secret Santa gift to reveal?

And no, you don't need to switch teams if you move. You might take some grief, but I don't think you need to switch.

NY Metro area sports fan here so for me it's Yankees, Giants, Rangers and Knicks so its been a while...
Lets just say I'm thinking about it.

Back