Votes: 22 33.8%

• Total voters

PhillyV

Original Ass-Cap : G15' & G18'
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
Say you were to start up your own equipment company and this was going to be your one and only shot at this industry. What equipment would you produce? Would you go high end or would you go value? Do you pick one piece of equipment to specialize in or do you make a full catalog of equipment? Or would you avoid hard good and go the route of apparel?

Damn, this is a very tough question. Knowing what I know now, I would take the money and avoid the golf industry. Hahahah

Putters.

Though, would agree with Cookie here.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think Cookie might be on the right track, but I'd say Putters. While I don't think breaking into the putter market is easy by any means, I know a couple companies have a strangle hold on them, but it seems there is room for the little guy in that market. I think money can be made while making no new advancements that would require tons in R&D

I think I would go with irons, low RnD in blades, and less competition than in putters (I think).

Apparel. There's always a need for quality apparel. It's sad to see how far quality has dropped while prices have gone up in the last little bit.

I know there are quality companies still around but not nearly as many IMO

I have to go putters as well. Its the only area where you can get in with something different and custom seems to be all the rage right now. Too much competition in other clubs I think to break into it with a new company.

My answer isn't in the poll. I would focus on developing better consumer affordable launch monitor tech.

You're only allowed to carry 14 clubs at a time, but how many of us have that many putters?

;)

Putters I guess. That way I could feed my constant obsession by making my own haha

Knowing how hard it is to break in and have clubs becime mainstream plus having to compete against all the established companies I would avoid getting into club making and woukd focus on apparel

This is a really fun topic.
Hybrids are not on the list, but I think that is where I would head.

Id go the putter route if I was forced to go into the industry lol

Say you were to start up your own equipment company and this was going to be your one and only shot at this industry. What equipment would you produce? Would you go high end or would you go value? Do you pick one piece of equipment to specialize in or do you make a full catalog of equipment? Or would you avoid hard good and go the route of apparel?

For pure enjoyment, I'd probably say putters. If I am going full steam with clubs, it'd probably have to be the full line, and I wouldn't side with either value or high end. Somewhere right in the middle with tech that makes sense.

Either way, I wouldn't be too excited about it haha. Tough breaking into this industry without a huge bankroll it seems.

I just assumed it would be too tough to get into the club market, so i picked apparel... no matter what clubs you play, you have to wear clothes, so i thought maybe that would easier market to break into. Probably lower cost of entry as well.

that was my first thought too JB, with Adams practically dead, this category is fair game for any takers

Putters. Mainly with trying to be at the low end of the price point, but still custom.

I realize it would be a tough go, But I honestly think that even being able to produce a custom wall-hanger putter for people, at a low price, would gain some traction.

Let's say I'm a far less outspoken version of Bob Parsons, and I don't care whether or not I make any money. I'd probably build a line of irons and hybrids, just because those are the clubs I like the most. For the other clubs, I tend to find something that works and stick with it long term. Especially fairways.

Custom fitted wedges. While there's a pretty big stranglehold on the market with a couple of companies, I do think there's room for smaller companies to offer customization and diverse grinds.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

This is a really fun topic.
Hybrids are not on the list, but I think that is where I would head.
I noticed that right after i posted the poll. And interestingly enough after some thought i would probably say hybrids as well. The notorious leader in that department is on a downward trend and right now seems like the perfect time to find something innovative in that category and capitalize on the available market share

I would stay out of equipment and go apparel. It seems if you get the right quality of materials and stay on top of trends, you can make a name faster than you can trying to break old habits golfers have with their equipment.

I'd have to go with apparel. No R&D and the product could crossover to the mainstream. Too much money and risk to get into clubs and you can only sell golf clubs to golfers...

I'd say Irons is the smart choice, I would prefer to do Putters but that's such a crowded market. I would go the route of Bombtech and make a great product and keep it at a low price point

I chose apparel and you can add shoes into that mix. Lowest barriers to entry and MANY more ways to get to retail.

I noticed that right after i posted the poll. And interestingly enough after some thought i would probably say hybrids as well. The notorious leader in that department is on a downward trend and right now seems like the perfect time to find something innovative in that category and capitalize on the available market share

I watched Nickent do it with very good technology and until they expanded to full line were showing signs of making it

Back