Would you strike this deal with your spouse or significant other???

• Play out the rest of the fall season 5 or 6 weekend rounds.

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • Hang them up for the year, Play two rounds on a trip to Vegas with buddies.

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

LordByron

Reaction score
Handicap
So a buddy of mine asked me to go to Vegas with him to play golf and watch football. We would fly in late Sat, golf Sunday and Monday fly home Tuesday.
The kicker is, room and most meals will be taken care of for me. I will pay for golf and flight...and other.

So the deal I am going to purpose to my wife is as follows.

I give up golfing on the weekends for the next six weeks, effectively ending my season as far as weekend golf goes. Then I head to Vegas with my buddy guilt free. We will likely play Wolf Creek and one other course.

I have added the caveat that I still play once on my fall work trip, and once when a buddy of mine gets us on his bosses course. Both of these rounds will occur during the week, she doesn't really care about the cost of golf, but about the time away from home.

Basically I am trading 5 or 6 rounds for 2 and Vegas with a buddy.

Would you guys strike this deal?

I wouldn't even offer it.

Yes I'd take it and try to figure out a way to get a couple rounds in during the week on the down low.

I would propose giving up golf for the month of Sept or Oct on the weekends. Not both. You may end up there, but don't handcuff yourself right off the bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a buddy of mine asked me to go to Vegas with him to play golf and watch football. We would fly in late Sat, golf Sunday and Monday fly home Tuesday.
The kicker is, room and most meals will be taken care of for me. I will pay for golf and flight...and other.

I give up golfing on the weekends for the next six weeks, effectively ending my season as far as weekend golf goes. Then I head to Vegas with my buddy guilt free. We will likely play Wolf Creek and one other course.

I have added the caveat that I still play once on my fall work trip, and once when a buddy of mine gets us on his bosses course. Both of these rounds will occur during the week, she doesn't really care about the cost of golf, but about the time away from home.

Would you guys strike this deal? (I tried to add a poll but not sure its working for me)
Not at all, but I'm not sure why it's necessary. Does your wife begrudge you your golfing?

5 or 6 at home for 2 in Vegas....darn tooting!

If I had to propose such a thing I would do it in a hearbeat

Can we adjust the poll to say: go to Vegas and finish out the golfing season at home?

That's my vote.

Seems like you are giving up quite a bit for a couple rounds in Vegas.

I usually just see if she would like something like a spa day or gift in return. That way she gets something out of the deal and I don't have to give anything up. It's more expensive but works. Bribery goes a long way.

Why do so many relationships in this country involve the man sacrificing what he loves doing?

I am with Dean. A good sales person never gives away the farm to gain a plot. Tell he what you want to do and see what she says. If you feel guilty about going, maybe your shouldn't go. My spouse is my best friend and if I feel something I want to do is going to be an issue then I PASS. Fortunately for me, she never says no 90% of the time.

hahahahaha! i knew you'd bring this to the forum :)

I'm going with BOTH... Wolf Creek is awesome and so is playing golf at home.

I have no advice for you though sir because everyone's situation is different.

Yes I'd take it and try to figure out a way to get a couple rounds in during the week on the down low.

This will happen...ha. I do know I am playing one round in Sept, at Rich Harvest Farms, and one in Oct. at Arcadia.

Diamonds. That is all

Not at all, but I'm not sure why it's necessary. Does your wife begrudge you your golfing?
N
Not really but at this point in the season it starts to wear on her a bit. It's the time away from home. We have three little ones, she is pretty supportive considering.

I am with Dean. A good sales person never gives away the farm to gain a plot. Tell her what you want to do and see what she says. If you feel guilty about going, maybe your shouldn't go. My spouse is my best friend and if I feel something I want to do is going to be an issue then I PASS. Fortunately for me, she never says no 90% of the time.

Kongmeister is smart.

I wouldn't offer it either. Don't come to the negotiating table with your best offer. Id just say that you got invited to go and take it from there.

This would be my response:

85ea8cb8b88b753985536075ef528975.jpg

I usually just see if she would like something like a spa day or gift in return. That way she gets something out of the deal and I don't have to give anything up. It's more expensive but works. Bribery goes a long way.

She doesn't care about any of that... She values time together with family above all. That's why time is the bargaining chip here.

I wouldn't offer it either. Don't come to the negotiating table with your best offer. Id just say that you got invited to go and take it from there.
^^^This is what I am doing, just planning ahead in case I hit a road block. I am not that big of a dummy...well maybe, but that's neither here nor there.

I think it can be easy to discount the inconvenience to a spouse that's going to be left back at home with the kids. That said, I would start by telling her you've been invited and see her reaction. You might be surprised. I also agree with others that if it becomes necessary you don't lead with your best offer.

That's just not how my wife and I operate. She has freedoms and I have mine, and we're better off because of it.

If I absolutely had to pick one in your case, I'd pick the golf leading up to it. I'm not good when I take big breaks and playing bad golf in Vegas would be a bit of a disappointment.

hahahahaha! i knew you'd bring this to the forum :)

I'm going with BOTH... Wolf Creek is awesome and so is playing golf at home.

I have no advice for you though sir because everyone's situation is different.

I am not really looking for advise, I am just interested in what others would do given the choice. I know exactly how I am going to play this, and it's not a huge deal to me whether or not I go. Just an affordable opportunity to go out west and play some golf with a buddy. My wife never really gives me much grief about golf, and I play a minimum once a week when the weather allows. We pretty much share all responsibilities at home so if I leave for overnight trips I do feel like that puts a bit more of a burden on her. I would be happy to do the same if she wanted to go on a weekend with friends but she just isn't into it.

Another poll where I was looking for a "None of the Above" option. I play year around so there's not just a few weekend rounds in play here. I would probably do both regardless. If that wasn't possible, I'd pass on the trip.

Back