2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

I had the exact same thoughts, you can definitely taste a little artificial something, but it's not that bad. For the calories, it's totally worth it. I would love to try other flavors, but like you said it's so damn expensive!

I bought the chocolate as well and I'll report back tonight. The only other one my store had was strawberry and I'm not a strawberry ice cream fan

No, I haven't. I always find coupons for Dannon so I normally buy their greek yogurt. Tell me more about Siggis.

b54442b1da55c8ecf2d2c03319cfb51a.jpg

That's from WW. But I enjoy the taste as well. It's a bit more expensive than other styles.

It's Icelandic style Skyr yogurt. More custard style to me.

b54442b1da55c8ecf2d2c03319cfb51a.jpg

That's from WW. But I enjoy the taste as well. It's a bit more expensive than other styles.

It's Icelandic style Skyr yogurt. More custard style to me.

That's a little higher in sugar than I normally like, however the custard style has me intrigued.

That's a little higher in sugar than I normally like, however the custard style has me intrigued.

That was flavored. Here is straight up vanilla

8b3f2d21a4c11ed7737d73cb425fe95d.jpg

Ice cream is always a favorite of mine all year long and I absolutely love it. being I love it so much and have always stuffed my face with it I can honestly say there is rarely ever any light form of ice cream that is ever quite as good as the real thing imo. There are some we can enjoy and be happy eating but still never quite the same imo.

Well, that is until I found these a couple years ago and while not technically ice cream they are in that similar family of desert snacks. "Healthy Choice" fudge pops are absolutely delicious. I would eat these when not even concerned with eating lighter just because they are so good imo. It seems anytime I offered them to company at my house someone would always comment how delicious they are. Anyway, even though they are a better choice while still trying to enjoy an ice cream type of snack I don't buy them since on my latest health kick only because my problem is that I cant ever have just one or even two...lol no, not me...I have to eat friggin 5 of them in a row so I just wont by them right now. But anyway, they are very delicious and not a calorie killer for those looking to make a somewhat better choice for a snack or a dessert.
2002-fudge-bars_zpsrjm9axfv.png

Ice cream is always a favorite of mine...

Same here. I swapped ice cream for these:

k2-_71484522-1c6b-4654-8d3e-1cf4fb787bfb.v1.jpg-c13598a2ebf368b42961248655993edb418cc8ce-optim-450x450.jpg

Satisfies the frozen, sweet, and chocolate all at once.

Same here. I swapped ice cream for these:

k2-_71484522-1c6b-4654-8d3e-1cf4fb787bfb.v1.jpg-c13598a2ebf368b42961248655993edb418cc8ce-optim-450x450.jpg

Satisfies the frozen, sweet, and chocolate all at once.

Those look cool.. To be honest, as much as I've always loved ice cream and also fwiw love fruits and berries, I much prefer my ice cream with nuts and/or chips. Like butter almond, or choc chip, pistachios, pecans. peanut butter cups, etc... and not so much do I like fruit in my ice cream. But you can give plain ice cram too. Coffee flavor is one my fav's. Well that's it, now I've done it...lol... I got a craving for some good old fashion ice cream now so I gotta stop talking about this in this thread ...lol.

I've been on the 200lb plateau for months now. I understand that building muscle will do this sort of thing, but I'm itching to step on the scale and see a number beginning with '1'.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The struggle is real! Right there with you. Finally got to 198, but the scale gets really stingy on those last few scale pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The struggle is real! Right there with you. Finally got to 198, but the scale gets really stingy on those last few scale pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scales can be tricky too. But not so much the scale. Its not uncommon to see even more than a few pounds variance in just one day due to a few temporary factors not to be taken as true weight gain or loss. The biggest factor is water in the body. Salt in our diets which is almost impossible to avoid even if we don't add extra causes the body to temporarily retain water and therefore weight. Carbs also work to keep the body from ridding itself of excess water. Drinking a lot of water (which we should all do) also adds weight. Exercise can temporarily add or lose depending how much we drink or sweat out. And even (yes) going to the bathroom (or not) is indeed measurable weight one way or the other. So we lose 11lbs and all a sudden the next day its only 8 or 9. OMG what just happened? But a couple days later its 11 again or maybe 12 if you kept up the good work.

Imo we really cant get caught up in daily weighing but better to just see a steady trend over a period of time. Once per week perhaps but again eve then you might just be in one of those temporary false weight gain moments when you weigh yourself. Not to mention muscle gain if one works out intensely enough to gain muscle mass. In general though if one is far over weight they should via diet and exercise still be losing weight regardless of that. If one is serious enough I would say 3 to 4 weeks time should offer something significant on the scale.

Hey, I didn't gain weight over night. I gained by not taking care of myself collectively for a long time. So it only stands to reason its a slow collective effort the other way. Losing 13 lbs in about 6 weeks was great for me but even though I am going to keep working it, I don't think the next 13 will quite as fast.

Month 2 of insanity is no joke.
Max internal circuit was 50 minutes and i burned almost 650 cals . Killer workout

Max internal circuit was 50 minutes and i burned almost 650 cals . Killer workout

Just thinking about Month 2 can bring me cold sweats. Such a beast of a workout. Keep pushing through.

Just thinking about Month 2 can bring me cold sweats. Such a beast of a workout. Keep pushing through.
Just kinda caught me off guard had been awhile...ill be mentally ready tomorrow

I forgot how hard those workouts get

Hey, I didn't gain weight over night. I gained by not taking care of myself collectively for a long time. So it only stands to reason its a slow collective effort the other way. Losing 13 lbs in about 6 weeks was great for me but even though I am going to keep working it, I don't think the next 13 will quite as fast.

Quoted for truth. Every time I go with a fad diet I seem to lose no more than 10-15 pounds only
to put 15-20 back on. The weight seems to melt off the first month and then come to a halt.

This go around I'm trying to make better choices over all and/or replace my staple junk meals/desserts with something better. Like a couple bites of peanut butter instead of cookies, or the frozen fruit instead of ice cream. I plan on sticking with it as a lifestyle change, so we'll see.

Also no beer. I'm sticking with margaritas with no calorie mixer and only sparingly.

Last edited:
Seeing the number on the scale drop is one thing, but starting to see noticeable difference in the mirror remind me why it's important to eat healthy and workout. Finally seeing those visual results and it makes me feel even more motivated.

Seeing the number on the scale drop is one thing, but starting to see noticeable difference in the mirror remind me why it's important to eat healthy and workout. Finally seeing those visual results and it makes me feel even more motivated.

Amen brother. The scale hasn't been moving a ton for me over the past month or so but I can see noticeable differences muscle wise and I feel just generally very healthy. A year ago I couldn't run half a mile now I can run 4.. I still have more weight I want to lose, but right now I am just going to keep in the gym and making good choices, the rest will take care of itself

Amen brother. The scale hasn't been moving a ton for me over the past month or so but I can see noticeable differences muscle wise and I feel just generally very healthy. A year ago I couldn't run half a mile now I can run 4.. I still have more weight I want to lose, but right now I am just going to keep in the gym and making good choices, the rest will take care of itself

Not gonna lie....Taylor could have been taken for a personal trainer when we met up last week. He's gonna put on a gun show this Sunday on the course!

Couldn't agree more. My girlfriend "accidentally" bought me and XL shirt and it fit! Still work to be done but it was a little motivation that I needed.

Last night, I was able to do some exercises at the gym that I am not sure I could have done a year ago. More fuel for the fire to keep going.

The ole 36's are getting a bit loose.

Yusssss

Scales can be tricky too. But not so much the scale. Its not uncommon to see even more than a few pounds variance in just one day due to a few temporary factors not to be taken as true weight gain or loss. The biggest factor is water in the body. Salt in our diets which is almost impossible to avoid even if we don't add extra causes the body to temporarily retain water and therefore weight. Carbs also work to keep the body from ridding itself of excess water. Drinking a lot of water (which we should all do) also adds weight. Exercise can temporarily add or lose depending how much we drink or sweat out. And even (yes) going to the bathroom (or not) is indeed measurable weight one way or the other. So we lose 11lbs and all a sudden the next day its only 8 or 9. OMG what just happened? But a couple days later its 11 again or maybe 12 if you kept up the good work.

Imo we really cant get caught up in daily weighing but better to just see a steady trend over a period of time. Once per week perhaps but again eve then you might just be in one of those temporary false weight gain moments when you weigh yourself. Not to mention muscle gain if one works out intensely enough to gain muscle mass. In general though if one is far over weight they should via diet and exercise still be losing weight regardless of that. If one is serious enough I would say 3 to 4 weeks time should offer something significant on the scale.

Water weight is usually quite temporary. The real reason that carbs will adversely affect most attempts at weight loss is because they are so much more readily metabolized than fats. If you eat more than just a minimum of carbs, that is what your body will work with rather than using the stored fat that you are trying to get rid of. And refined carbs are the worst. If you must eat some carbs, stay away from processed grains and sugars. I find that I can't eliminate them completely, or maybe I should say that I don't want to. I don't need 100% deprivation in my life. But I am working hard to keep all carbs to an absolute minimum. :hungry:

Step question ...

How many of us track steps
How important achieving your daily goal
What is a good day step count and what is a killer day
What %/# of your steps are at a normal pace (in other words how import are running steps to you)
What role do you feel the casual steps play in your weight loss

I track via fitbit (and happy to "friend anyone of THP")

My daily goal is 10k and I am driven to get it ... to the point that I will be walking at 10pm at night to finish it off.

A good day is 12-14k and a killer day 18-20k+

I would say on a good day, 2-3k are done "a pace" while on a killer days probably 6-8k is done at jog/run pace. The running steps are important to me.

Honestly I am not sure the role of the casual steps play ... thus the question to you ... the THP experts ... :)

Water weight is usually quite temporary. The real reason that carbs will adversely affect most attempts at weight loss is because they are so much more readily metabolized than fats. If you eat more than just a minimum of carbs, that is what your body will work with rather than using the stored fat that you are trying to get rid of. And refined carbs are the worst. If you must eat some carbs, stay away from processed grains and sugars. I find that I can't eliminate them completely, or maybe I should say that I don't want to. I don't need 100% deprivation in my life. But I am working hard to keep all carbs to an absolute minimum. :hungry:

What you're saying is true, but carbohydrates do cause excess water retention.

http://paleoleap.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-water-weight/

Back