Anyone try to play 'safe golf'?

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
Has anyone ever gone out to a course, or their home course, and step on the tee and say "I am not going to take a shot that I am uncomfortable taking"? I have started doing this to help build confidence, and although I am not shooting personal bests everytime, my 'average' score has dropped by a shot and a half. The bads just arent so bad anymore. I am now thinking of where to place my shots and truly trying to place my way around the golf course rather than bomb, gouge, and go for eagle. I used to never lay up, now I do just about every time, and I am making more birdies on par5s than I ever have before.

Love to hear other thoughts on this.

Last weekend when I played, my friend said something to me that has stuck in my head. He told me I was just going up and hitting the ball instad of playing the course. I intend in future rounds to play smarter, safer golf and see what the end result will be.

Thanks JB. I am also wondering about putting. How many people try and two putt? Let me rephrase,

If you are putting to a cup that is a 'hit the hole or its gone' type of putt, what do you do?

just starting to play this way this past weekend. better to play safe then think I'm Mickelson which I'm not!

I play golf to have fun. And I have more fun when I go for it pretty much every time. That being said if I am in a tournament or competition I generally take a more conservative approach. You just have to be smart about where you take your risks. Taking all risks out of the game makes it less fun IMHO.

Of course after the round it is always fun on the 19th hole when your score is better. But I find that I remember specific shots that I pull off more than an entire score.

My last round I played at ASU Karsten, it was more a scouting mission to check the course out before an "all for fun" tournament next month. What I found was even though I shot 100, I felt so much better about my round. I used the yardage book and tried to play smart shots. A lot of my strokes came from lost balls/the fast greens lol. There was actual rough on the course too. I will try that from now on as I enjoyed myself more than I have in the last month or so. I have to note that I have really enjoyed the last month so it was a pretty big deal to me.

If its a long putt or something that has a lot of movement, I play to get it close. Although, I putt better when I dont think about it too much. But if its one those putts you described I let it roll. I don't like to leave things short. I'd rather be putting uphill than downhill again. Im not sure if thats the way to be but I like it better for my game right now.

After spending some time here and reading the thread that JB linked I realized that I didn't just need to go up and hit the ball as far as I could. I'm playing much smarter this year and have benefited from it. I haven't tried the 3w off the deck once, I'm not pulling the driver out on every hole, and I try to play to a distance (7i or less if possible). It's actually very satisfying for me to put some brain in my game, especially since my body doesn't always do what it's supposed to.

I will always go for it if I feel that the chance is there. That being said, I don't try to pull off the miracle shot and I have no problem laying up, but if I have 240 or less to a green, you can bet I am going for it unless I have to shape the ball and then I usually try to stick it in the middle of the fairway. There is a time and a place for everything.

It is a constant battle for me to hit the shot I should rather than go for the miracle. I don't think there is anything wrong with playing to your strengths I mean I see tour pro's who aren't super comfortable chipping around the green and they pull the putter out if at all possible. I know that I post better scores when I play smart.

Anyone try to play 'safe golf'?

SethO said:
I will always go for it if I feel that the chance is there. That being said, I don't try to pull off the miracle shot and I have no problem laying up, but if I have 240 or less to a green, you can bet I am going for it unless I have to shape the ball and then I usually try to stick it in the middle of the fairway. There is a time and a place for everything.

Well said Seth. +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last weekend when I played, my friend said something to me that has stuck in my head. He told me I was just going up and hitting the ball instad of playing the course. I intend in future rounds to play smarter, safer golf and see what the end result will be.

Rhino - Perhaps instead of viewing it as safer golf - you could think of it as course management.

Reactions: JB

I tried going for it within 200 last weekend, and you saw how badly that ended for me. I eventually had to force my hands off the longer irons. My shorter game was pretty consistent, so this Saturday, i'm just going to stick with 5-iron and up and just try to stay consistent.

I tried going for it within 200 last weekend, and you saw how badly that ended for me. I eventually had to force my hands off the longer irons. My shorter game was pretty consistent, so this Saturday, i'm just going to stick with 5-iron and up and just try to stay consistent.

My game was so far off that I wanted to cry. That 5 iron was working for ya pretty well.

i always think my way around a golf course. i have no problem teeing off with hybrids, irons, whatever i need to to give me the best number in to the green. i will go for it occassionally but everything has to be right (conditions, lie, confidence). some of the guys i've played with here at THP will tell you that i like to think before i swing away.

I say that every time I play. then I proceed to try to hit the fading draw knockdown punch shot from behind a tree 250 yds over water to a elevated green with an 8 iron...

I say that every time I play. then I proceed to try to hit the fading draw knockdown punch shot from behind a tree 250 yds over water to a elevated green with an 8 iron...

good choice, chainces are, if you pull it off, your be short of that water, and have a wedge in

please tell me you don't actually think I was being serious...

it was the BURN!!!!!!!!! comment I was referring to.

back on topic...I told myself this past weekend while I was driving to the course...I said "self, you need to play it safe today. Lay up...don't try shots you know you can't make" and of course I did just the opposite. I really need to work on course management. I lose so many strokes from stupid decisions.

it was the BURN!!!!!!!!! comment I was referring to.

back on topic...I told myself this past weekend while I was driving to the course...I said "self, you need to play it safe today. Lay up...don't try shots you know you can't make" and of course I did just the opposite. I really need to work on course management. I lose so many strokes from stupid decisions.

definition of insanity: doing the same old thing and expecting different results.

The best score I ever had was playing with a group from work who were all better players than I. I was just hitting my 4w off the tee and laying up wherever possible to avoid disaster holes, and my short game just happened to be on that day. But I view playing most rounds as learning experiences, so even if my driver ends up in the trees, I look at it as an opportunity to practice my knockdown shot from underneath branches. And some days, you just wanna have fun.

I said "self, you need to play it safe today. Lay up...don't try shots you know you can't make" and of course I did just the opposite.

Hi Self... Welcome to THP!

Back