Any scotch drinkers

Helo

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I got into scotch probably about six or seven yeas ago and haved thoroughly enjoyed the journey. I love trying new scotches from different regions or simply trying different bottlings from the same distillery. I think one of the most enjoyable aspects of this is the discovery of what it is you actually like. I started out drinking the mellow speysiders like Glenlivet (a good point of entry by the way) and have gradually moved toward the full blown peat monsters of Islay. Right now I'm drinking Laphroaig 18yr. I've also been enjoying Talisker, Ardbeg, and Glenfiddich.
There is nothing like enjoying a glass of scotch after being outside all day. It really does act as what some call a "restorative". Really curious to hear what you all are drinking.

Scotch is next on the list for things to learn to drink.
I've been told I take too much air in with each sip so I end up choking/coughing on the peaty gas.

You do know we still flog anyone caught putting ice or water in it? Immediate deportation for anyone caught putting a mixer in a malt.

I love me some Johnny Walker! I do love a good Scottish Scotch thought. The Grant brand is a great Scotch Whiskey.

If you like smoky/peaty flavor, gotta go with Lagavulin. Yum.

I love Jameson Irish Whiskey but I don't think it is classed as Scotch.

I got into scotch probably about six or seven yeas ago and haved thoroughly enjoyed the journey. I love trying new scotches from different regions or simply trying different bottlings from the same distillery. I think one of the most enjoyable aspects of this is the discovery of what it is you actually like. I started out drinking the mellow speysiders like Glenlivet (a good point of entry by the way) and have gradually moved toward the full blown peat monsters of Islay. Right now I'm drinking Laphroaig 18yr. I've also been enjoying Talisker, Ardbeg, and Glenfiddich.
There is nothing like enjoying a glass of scotch after being outside all day. It really does act as what some call a "restorative". Really curious to hear what you all are drinking.

I have been a glenlivet drinker for some time. I enjoy trying new ones myself and one of my favorites is Lagavulin. Definitely more of a peaty scotch. I also just got a bottle of The Belvenie, not sure if I spelled that correctly but its super smooth. I think the bottle I received is a 21 year. There have been some others that I have tried that were wonderful. I'll have to get some of the names and I will definitely try some of those u listed above.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, I really like Balvenie. Very smooth and has a lot of great flavors. Lagavulin is on my list for next one to try. I've only heard good things about it. I'd also like to try Highland Park. Heard it's heathery and has a touch of sweetness. Lately I've been drinking these total smoke monsters and it's nice to try something new.
I have been a glenlivet drinker for some time. I enjoy trying new ones myself and one of my favorites is Lagavulin. Definitely more of a peaty scotch. I also just got a bottle of The Belvenie, not sure if I spelled that correctly but its super smooth. I think the bottle I received is a 21 year. There have been some others that I have tried that were wonderful. I'll have to get some of the names and I will definitely try some of those u listed above.

For a starter, I'd usually recommend something along the lines of a Macallan or a Glenmorangie. Both very nice and inoffensive!

We also give minus points for putting an 'e' in whisky :D

One of my favorites is Dalmore 15 yr. old, my all time favorite though is ABERLOUR A'BUNADH. While Aberlour makes many fine scotches this one is something very special.

Now if it's a bit of Irish you're after you have to try Connemara or Killbeggen

I enjoy Glenfiddich. I also enjoy Walker Red and soda. I find that warm spoft water brings out the flavor of the malts.

Oh yeah, I really like Balvenie. Very smooth and has a lot of great flavors. Lagavulin is on my list for next one to try. I've only heard good things about it. I'd also like to try Highland Park. Heard it's heathery and has a touch of sweetness. Lately I've been drinking these total smoke monsters and it's nice to try something new.

Yea u cannot go wrong with lagavulin. There are 2 editions that I have had. I believe the normal one they have is a 16 yr edition (white label on the bottle I believe) and then there is a distillers edition (black label on the bottle) I have had that was fantastic as well. Both are great. I will have to try highland park. I have seen it on several occasions but have not purchased it yet.

sorry paulo, i am partial to a bit of ice in mine..sacrilege i know..
currently in rotation i have a macallan 10yr old, very smooth and has won many awards. i actually prefer this one to the more mature macallan
And a glenfiddich 18yr old, fruity with a strong kick.

then again im a bit of a light weight and only ever manage 1 wee half before i put the bottle away, single malt gives me a stinking hangover.

I like Highland Malts, I stay away from the stuff that tastes (to me) like chewing on burnt wood.

sorry paulo, i am partial to a bit of ice in mine..sacrilege i know..
currently in rotation i have a macallan 10yr old, very smooth and has won many awards. i actually prefer this one to the more mature macallan
And a glenfiddich 18yr old, fruity with a strong kick.

then again im a bit of a light weight and only ever manage 1 wee half before i put the bottle away, single malt gives me a stinking hangover.

Don't worry Brian, you know we only tell the foreigners that you're not allowed to put anything in it to see them drink lots of it neat! :D

To be honest, I haven't really acquired a taste for whisky yet. I may mature into it. I'll keep trying.

I have been a drinker of Glenfiddich for many years. My family got together a while back and bought me a bottle of aged 40 yr. old for my Graduation. From what I found, it set them back at least a grand. It is very good and I still have about 2/3 left.
Funny story:
A few years back some of us(about 7 I think) were sitting at a bar and this really obnoxious dude was hitting on every woman in the place and basically just being an a$$, he announces that the next round is on him so we all ordered a shot of a 28 yr old Glen Ord that the bar had and I do believe it cost him about 15 bucks a shot. Never saw the guy in there again.

I have tried Scotch on several occasions but do not love it.

I am trying as many bourbons as I can get. Though technically not a bourbon my current favorite is Gentleman Jack.

If you are trying bourbon, a recommendation I would have is Elijah Craig. I came across is a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoy it. Great flavor and reasonably priced. Give it a try. I like it on the rocks and its super smooth.

I enjoy a nice single malt on a regular basis. I usually keep a rotation of 3 to 5 different malts, but I usually have more bottles from Islay and the Highlands. Of these 4-5 different single malts, I keep a couple for myself and a couple for guests.

One of my favorites and my "go-to" is Bowmore 14. It is from Islay, and has the typical smoky/peaty taste. But it also has a touch of seaweed and an aftertaste of lemon and honey. It is great and many of our guests enjoy it as well.

I do keep a bottle of Laphroaig, but I typically only drink it on really cold days or when guests want to have it. I honestly believe that many people rate it so high because they are "supposed" to say it is great, despite the fact that many people are adverse to the distinct "iodine" taste. No doubt, it is a great single malt, but I think there is too much hype.

Another great bottle is Auchentoshan 21. This is my "go-to" for guests and my personal choice for warmer days. It is a bit lighter and is very smooth. It is on the spicier end, with a notable touch of citrus and oak.

You do know we still flog anyone caught putting ice or water in it? Immediate deportation for anyone caught putting a mixer in a malt.

Ill agree with the mixer like coke or pepsi - but in every professional tasting ive been in - the scotch companies bring their own bottled water that they used to make the scotch - and a drop or two "wakens the dragon". They instruct you to mix a little water in the pure scotch (or any whisky or whiskey) before drinking. It helps release aromas and smell is just as important in tasting as anything else.

I love Jameson Irish Whiskey but I don't think it is classed as Scotch.

that would be irish whiskey! good nonetheless but world apart from a good scotch.

I like all scotch; depends on my mood really. I like blends during the day when i need something lighter - single malts at night after dinner or something. The glenmorangies are probably my go to scotch. If i want something really peaty - then an isle malt of some kind - Lagavulin, laphroaig. There are sooo many.

Laphroaig is definitly a legend. The aged bottles are quite a bit mellower than the standeard 10 year old. I like the 10yr, but it can rip your face off. I like to alternate between Islay's and Highlands. Talisker is a great inbetweener. Has the weight of an Islay, but some of the complexity of a Highland.
I enjoy a nice single malt on a regular basis. I usually keep a rotation of 3 to 5 different malts, but I usually have more bottles from Islay and the Highlands. Of these 4-5 different single malts, I keep a couple for myself and a couple for guests.

One of my favorites and my "go-to" is Bowmore 14. It is from Islay, and has the typical smoky/peaty taste. But it also has a touch of seaweed and an aftertaste of lemon and honey. It is great and many of our guests enjoy it as well.

I do keep a bottle of Laphroaig, but I typically only drink it on really cold days or when guests want to have it. I honestly believe that many people rate it so high because they are "supposed" to say it is great, despite the fact that many people are adverse to the distinct "iodine" taste. No doubt, it is a great single malt, but I think there is too much hype.

Another great bottle is Auchentoshan 21. This is my "go-to" for guests and my personal choice for warmer days. It is a bit lighter and is very smooth. It is on the spicier end, with a notable touch of citrus and oak.

Laphroaig is definitly a legend. The aged bottles are quite a bit mellower than the standeard 10 year old. I like the 10yr, but it can rip your face off. I like to alternate between Islay's and Highlands. Talisker is a great inbetweener. Has the weight of an Islay, but some of the complexity of a Highland.

I haven't had Talisker in a few years, but I remember the 10 yr being pretty robust with a pepper taste (which I enjoy that taste on occassion). I cannot recall if I have had the 18yr, but may give it a run on the next go-around.

I have always suggested Cragganmore to folks as a "bridge" malt if they wanted to start appreciating/drinking those from the few distilleries in Islay. Though it is from the Highlands, it is sorta like training wheels before getting to Islay.

Im definitely going to have to put some of these on my must try list. Great insight in this thread.

Back