Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Testing Date: 12/26
Conditions: SUnny and about 60*

I'm trying something different with this set as I get deeper into the testing. This round I only brought the hybrids with me (I remembered!). Next round I'll add the transitional irons and play the short irons/wedges in my zstars. I didn't get to use my hybrids that much as I was usually driver wedge into a lot of the par 4's. While the scores werent what I wanted, I've really just been focusing on good contact and a consistent swing for the time being.

Shots:
Hole#9:
I had 187 left to the pin after my drive. I really needed an accurate shot because my miss that round was a push and there was water to the right. I hit the ball really well with my 5h. Unfortunately for me I pushed it just slightly! Right into the water. I think even if I hit it straight I would've been longer than I expected. There wasn't too much wind but enough it just carried the ball right over the edge. It was struck a little on the toe but that just shows the forgiveness of the clubs.

Hole #10:
We started to play hurry up golf and I topped my drive. First drive I whiffed all day. I took out my 4h because I just wanted to put it somewhere around 100 yards. I topped the ball again. Lol. So I pulled out the 5h and went swinging. Well struck shot that just took off. Left about 75 yards in and of course I messed it up but I was in a good position to at least go for a bogey. Ended up with a double but the hybrids kept me in the game.

Hole#11:
Topped my drive but not as bad (I did end up fixing this). I had 196 or so left to the green and figured pull out the 4 again. I just crushed it! Had a nice draw on the ball that unfortunately ran me into the water a little. ALthough it wasnt what I wanted, the contact and tempo was there. I think before I may have just kept playing bad but having these irons/hybrids allows me to refocus and get back into a groove much quicker than before. I dont know what it is but its comfort that is for sure.

Overall:
I didn't use the hybrids a whole lot but when I did, I hit them well. Sometimes results arent always the greatest indicator because if youre lined up wrong, or coming over the top etc... you'll put the ball where it shouldnt be. I look for a club that confidence inspiring, forgiving for my misses and one that feels good throughout the swing. I'm finding all that and more with these A12os's.

Good write up TMod, I too really love the hybrids in this set. I agree with you, there is a comfort and forgiveness about these clubs that makes them confidence inspiring.

Very nice write-up and I like your idea here. Look forward to the next.

Testing Date 12/27/2011
Testing Location: Driving Range and Golf Course
Conditions: Sunny 62* with light North winds

Overall: Spent about 2 hours on the range and working on the short game....I hit lots of 1/2 and 3/4 shots today working on finese shots. The Adams just give the ball a nice little click and the ball seems to jump off the face. Moved to the course and and continued to hit the ball well. I did have a couple of shots that I hit really chunky today...but the course was very soft after all the rain of the last week.

Hybrids: The one thing I am not looking forward too for the Morgan Cup is giving up these Hybrids....I hit these things so pure and straight and they come down so soft!!

Transitional Irons 7-8: These are the clubs that I hit chunky a few times today....I guess the wider sole and soft conditions caused me to dig a little too much a few times. I did hit the 7 Iron into a 162 yard par 3 that was playing a little down wind and dropped it about 15 feet from the pin.

Scoring Clubs 9-GW: I didnt hit the 9 or the PW today, just the GW.,...used it for chipping and pitching a few times with pretty good success....Hit 3 full shots with it and put them all within about 10 feet.

Just a pretty day to be out playing golf.....I played 2 balls all the way around today......shot 86 on one ball and 83 on the other....not great....but not bad either.

Good stuff TBT, I love to chip with the 7 & 8 irons so I will keep in mind that they may dig in a little too much when I play tomorrow as it is pretty wet here too. Thanks.

Good write up TMod, I too really love the hybrids in this set. I agree with you, there is a comfort and forgiveness about these clubs that makes them confidence inspiring.

Very nice write-up and I like your idea here. Look forward to the next.

Thanks fellas. I agree just so forgiving and straight. I'm thinking they might fit very well into the ZStars gap wise.

Testing Date 12/27/2011
Testing Location: Driving Range and Golf Course
Conditions: Sunny 62* with light North winds

Overall: Spent about 2 hours on the range and working on the short game....I hit lots of 1/2 and 3/4 shots today working on finese shots. The Adams just give the ball a nice little click and the ball seems to jump off the face. Moved to the course and and continued to hit the ball well. I did have a couple of shots that I hit really chunky today...but the course was very soft after all the rain of the last week.

Hybrids: The one thing I am not looking forward too for the Morgan Cup is giving up these Hybrids....I hit these things so pure and straight and they come down so soft!!

Transitional Irons 7-8: These are the clubs that I hit chunky a few times today....I guess the wider sole and soft conditions caused me to dig a little too much a few times. I did hit the 7 Iron into a 162 yard par 3 that was playing a little down wind and dropped it about 15 feet from the pin.

Scoring Clubs 9-GW: I didnt hit the 9 or the PW today, just the GW.,...used it for chipping and pitching a few times with pretty good success....Hit 3 full shots with it and put them all within about 10 feet.

Just a pretty day to be out playing golf.....I played 2 balls all the way around today......shot 86 on one ball and 83 on the other....not great....but not bad either.

Great write TBT. I agree with the bolded lol. THose are some really good scores man. I dig a lot as well and luckily we don't have wet conditions all the time out here.

One of our customers came into the golf shop today and told me he was looking at the a12 OS irons on Adams Golf and saw my review which included a video of a shot I made on our #14. He thought that was pretty cool. He started asking me about the clubs and I told him they were great and he was welcome to try mine out if he would like. I think he's going to buy a set of them.

That is cool KB, you are now an internet star, wtg.

One of our customers came into the golf shop today and told me he was looking at the a12 OS irons on Adams Golf and saw my review which included a video of a shot I made on our #14. He thought that was pretty cool. He started asking me about the clubs and I told him they were great and he was welcome to try mine out if he would like. I think he's going to buy a set of them.

Pretty cool KB, gotta love it when non-members read the review and come let you know about it.

Date: 12/29/30
Method: On Course Round
Conditions: Cold, Breezy, Frozen Ground/Greens

A real surprise in the sudden chance to get back out, Nebraska don't give up many day's like this in late December most years. It's been several weeks since I was able to actually play a real round so I jumped at it, regardless the conditions. I'll start by saying this was anything but a solid round for me. My ball striking was terrible, but I did manage a few very respectable shots here and there and the overall results were not club based, but user error.

Iron's: I was pretty on and off here, but normally am to a degree with the longer iron's, however this day I found myself pushing everything well left of the target even the short iron's. I did this until like the last 5 or 6 holes before picking up on my sweep. Once I got aggresive and started hitting ball first and through the line started paying off. One particular short par three, 118 into the breeze, has a creek to cross and a very sloped green back to front. The gap wedge came through on both trips to it (9 hole course) with the first ball directly over the flag and the other exactly flag high, but both balls bounce way to the back on these frozen greens.

Hybrids: This might have been the best round yet with the hybrids for me and it was about time. I've not really done well with these through this testing, but I don't think I miss hit one all day except one long par 3, 175 with cross wind, where I pushed that a bit left but flag high. Feel of these when smoothing the swing is outstanding with the Prolaunch blue shafts and my partner for the day was pretty excited after his chance to hit these. Nice high ball flight that penetrates yet lands soft.

Overall: Shot of the day was the last hole of the day, 165 to the green and way uphill into the wind. My ball was actually laying on an unpaved portion of cartpath, bare dirt. My game was shot anyway so I thought "Why Not". I had to of caught that ball perfect as it rocketed high and long right at the flag. We couldn't see where it ended up until we got there, but the ball landed front edge of the green and rolled close. This is the kind of thing that I've pulled off all along with these clubs, just most of the time with the irons. I'm not ready to put these away for the year, so we"ll be traveling to GI and the indoor screen there over winter.

Good report duey, glad the swing decided to kick in before the round was over, and that was a spectacular shot on the last hold. Keep up the good work buddy.

Good report duey, glad the swing decided to kick in before the round was over, and that was a spectacular shot on the last hold. Keep up the good work buddy.

Thanks DD. It's really odd to me that the hybrids have been tough for me all year and they come around on a day I swinging everything else really badly, lol. I had a few solid drive's with my William's and a couple with these hybrids that will have to stick in my mind to bring me back out this spring.

Okay, I played and practiced alot over the last week and neglected to update this thread. So I will give a quick overview.

I have posted in other threads that I have flattening my swing and have really changed my grip over the past few weeks so my game has been a struggle....I have managed to keep fairly results and I think alot of that has to do with the forgiveness of these clubs....whether I hit the ball solid or mishit the toe or heel, I don't lose a ton of distance and they don't stray too much from my intended line...that alone has probably kept me from getting frustrated with this change.

I hit a perfet 8 iron on Saturday from 140 with a baby draw that carried a bunker hit the green and stopped just inches from the cup....man it felt great!!

I won't bore you with all the details, I'll just say that these are incredibly forgiving clubs and playing these over the past several months is really going to influence my choice of irons for the Morgan Cup...I have had so much success with the SGI irons that I am really looking hard at what I will play in July.

Nice update TBT, keep us posted on the swing change.

Nice write up Duey. Glad you could get out and enjoy the great Nebraska weather. Sounds like you like the clubs. I have a friend in Denver that is looking at them so I am keeping an eye on this thread.

I was able to get out and walk 18 today, the Adams were very solid again. It was in the 40's for the most part, it may have peaked at 50 or 51 while I was playing, but when I finished and was leaving the car was showing an outside time of 48*. I said all of that to let you know that the ball was not carrying quite as far as usual. The score today was 40-40 80, 7 bogeys, 1 double, 1 birdie and 9 pars.

Hybrids - I hit several quality shots with these, I don 't know if it was because of the cold or what but I did seem to either be directly at the pin or it was a miss left. I can think of 3 missed left shots and all were pin high, so I either got up and down or messed up the chip a little and carded a 2 putt bogey on those holes. The best shot was a 238 down hill 3H that reached the green ( a combination of downhill and hard fairways) it was about 10 feet short and right of the pin. I missed the putt, but it was a great hybrid shot for me and I really don't believe my previous hybrid would have reached the green. I had a nice 159 5H that missed the green but was pin high, solid approach on a tough opening hole, I flubbed the chip, carried only 8 feet of the 10 needed as I was short sided, but I should not have missed to the left. I hit several nice draws today, and played once for a cut and the ball did move about 5 yards right which was sufficient, but 10 yards was what I really wanted.

Transitions - Exact same story as with the hybrids, either straight or missed left. Several nice shots with each and these 2 clubs remain my favorite clubs to chip with.

Irons - Again these scoring clubs were mostly straight but did miss to the left when they did not find the green, I am wanting to get out tomorrow as it is supposed to be in the 60's and see if the left misses go away, I think I may have been overswinging to try an make up for the colder weather. We'll see soon.

I still love these Adams clubs and they will be in my bag after the testing is compete for quite a while I believe.

Date: 12/29/30
Method: On Course Round
Conditions: Cold, Breezy, Frozen Ground/Greens

A real surprise in the sudden chance to get back out, Nebraska don't give up many day's like this in late December most years. It's been several weeks since I was able to actually play a real round so I jumped at it, regardless the conditions. I'll start by saying this was anything but a solid round for me. My ball striking was terrible, but I did manage a few very respectable shots here and there and the overall results were not club based, but user error.

Iron's: I was pretty on and off here, but normally am to a degree with the longer iron's, however this day I found myself pushing everything well left of the target even the short iron's. I did this until like the last 5 or 6 holes before picking up on my sweep. Once I got aggresive and started hitting ball first and through the line started paying off. One particular short par three, 118 into the breeze, has a creek to cross and a very sloped green back to front. The gap wedge came through on both trips to it (9 hole course) with the first ball directly over the flag and the other exactly flag high, but both balls bounce way to the back on these frozen greens.

Hybrids: This might have been the best round yet with the hybrids for me and it was about time. I've not really done well with these through this testing, but I don't think I miss hit one all day except one long par 3, 175 with cross wind, where I pushed that a bit left but flag high. Feel of these when smoothing the swing is outstanding with the Prolaunch blue shafts and my partner for the day was pretty excited after his chance to hit these. Nice high ball flight that penetrates yet lands soft.

Overall: Shot of the day was the last hole of the day, 165 to the green and way uphill into the wind. My ball was actually laying on an unpaved portion of cartpath, bare dirt. My game was shot anyway so I thought "Why Not". I had to of caught that ball perfect as it rocketed high and long right at the flag. We couldn't see where it ended up until we got there, but the ball landed front edge of the green and rolled close. This is the kind of thing that I've pulled off all along with these clubs, just most of the time with the irons. I'm not ready to put these away for the year, so we"ll be traveling to GI and the indoor screen there over winter.

Okay, I played and practiced alot over the last week and neglected to update this thread. So I will give a quick overview.

I have posted in other threads that I have flattening my swing and have really changed my grip over the past few weeks so my game has been a struggle....I have managed to keep fairly results and I think alot of that has to do with the forgiveness of these clubs....whether I hit the ball solid or mishit the toe or heel, I don't lose a ton of distance and they don't stray too much from my intended line...that alone has probably kept me from getting frustrated with this change.

I hit a perfet 8 iron on Saturday from 140 with a baby draw that carried a bunker hit the green and stopped just inches from the cup....man it felt great!!

I won't bore you with all the details, I'll just say that these are incredibly forgiving clubs and playing these over the past several months is really going to influence my choice of irons for the Morgan Cup...I have had so much success with the SGI irons that I am really looking hard at what I will play in July.

I was able to get out and walk 18 today, the Adams were very solid again. It was in the 40's for the most part, it may have peaked at 50 or 51 while I was playing, but when I finished and was leaving the car was showing an outside time of 48*. I said all of that to let you know that the ball was not carrying quite as far as usual. The score today was 40-40 80, 7 bogeys, 1 double, 1 birdie and 9 pars.

Hybrids - I hit several quality shots with these, I don 't know if it was because of the cold or what but I did seem to either be directly at the pin or it was a miss left. I can think of 3 missed left shots and all were pin high, so I either got up and down or messed up the chip a little and carded a 2 putt bogey on those holes. The best shot was a 238 down hill 3H that reached the green ( a combination of downhill and hard fairways) it was about 10 feet short and right of the pin. I missed the putt, but it was a great hybrid shot for me and I really don't believe my previous hybrid would have reached the green. I had a nice 159 5H that missed the green but was pin high, solid approach on a tough opening hole, I flubbed the chip, carried only 8 feet of the 10 needed as I was short sided, but I should not have missed to the left. I hit several nice draws today, and played once for a cut and the ball did move about 5 yards right which was sufficient, but 10 yards was what I really wanted.

Transitions - Exact same story as with the hybrids, either straight or missed left. Several nice shots with each and these 2 clubs remain my favorite clubs to chip with.

Irons - Again these scoring clubs were mostly straight but did miss to the left when they did not find the green, I am wanting to get out tomorrow as it is supposed to be in the 60's and see if the left misses go away, I think I may have been overswinging to try an make up for the colder weather. We'll see soon.

I still love these Adams clubs and they will be in my bag after the testing is compete for quite a while I believe.

Love these updates! I need to get mine together tomorrow for the last round i played. I just love how consistent these irons are and the fact they are staying in so many bags. I think Adams has really done something great with this set and I know Ill be paying a lot more attention to the Adams clubs going forward. The velocity slot technology intrigues me in FW's and Drivers now!

Love these updates! I need to get mine together tomorrow for the last round i played. I just love how consistent these irons are and the fact they are staying in so many bags. I think Adams has really done something great with this set and I know Ill be paying a lot more attention to the Adams clubs going forward. The velocity slot technology intrigues me in FW's and Drivers now!

I think it does all of us TMod, I don't know when I will get the opportunity to hit these, but I know they will be very popular clubs at the Outing and I will be in line to hit them then if I don't get a chance before hand.

I want to thank the testers that took the time to review these clubs. This testing has now been completed.

I want to thank the testers that took the time to review these clubs. This testing has now been completed.

I wish to again Thank Adams and THP for this testing opportunity, it really opened my eyes to the benefits of graphite shafted irons, Adams has a real winner here and I whole heartely recommend anyone looking for new irons or hybrids to please include these clubs in your short list. I know you will be impressed and you may just end up with these in the bag.

Thanks for the opportunity! Really enjoyed doing it and LOVE the clubs!!!

Thank you to THP and Adams for this opportunity. It really opened my eyes to the quality of Adams products and it was an honor to be selected. I'm going to have a hard time taking the hybrids out of the bag and the irons themselves are just staples of consistency. I have one final type review but I'll continue to update the thread as I use, well because I love these clubs!

I think it does all of us TMod, I don't know when I will get the opportunity to hit these, but I know they will be very popular clubs at the Outing and I will be in line to hit them then if I don't get a chance before hand.

Same here DawgDaddy. I'm usually pretty skeptical of technology that's marketed as something game changing, because it's just hard to imagine at times. The velocity slot really turned my eyes and I couldn't have imagined how much it helped beforehand.

You guys did THP & Adams Golf proud! There was some awesome and eye opening information provided in this thread. I have no doubt a few sets of these clubs were bought, due to your hard work and great reviews. :clapp:

I appreciated all the great writeups from those of you who tested these clubs. I think you opened some eyes to a great set of irons, including your own.

I appreciated all the great writeups from those of you who tested these clubs. I think you opened some eyes to a great set of irons, including your own.

agreed! I really enjoyed this batch of testing. Esp hearing from some who played graphite irons for the first time or first time in a while.

Back