Callaway Apex Hybrid Review Thread

I need to get distances dialed in on my new clubs and once I do I have a feeling a 3h or 4h is in the cards.

I played the 2/18* yesterday. It has C taper lite 120s installed and hit bullets with it. On par 3 195 to pin into the wind, I flew green completely by 10 yds. Definitely going to have to get more time with this to determine proper gapping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played the 2/18* yesterday. It has C taper lite 120s installed and hit bullets with it. On par 3 195 to pin into the wind, I flew green completely by 10 yds. Definitely going to have to get more time with this to determine proper gapping

I wanted to bridge the gap between my 21° apex utility and my driver with an apex hybrid. Because of the added distance that I found on the monitor I would have to go with the 21° apex hybrid just because of the distance gapping

I wanted to bridge the gap between my 21° apex utility and my driver with an apex hybrid. Because of the added distance that I found on the monitor I would have to go with the 21° apex hybrid just because of the distance gapping

Replacing your 3-wood?

I asked for a 5h for Christmas and then pull the XR Pro 3h out of the bag. Right now if I keep the hybrids in my bag, I have a huge gap between my 4h and 5i and overlap with my 4w and 3h so I'm hoping that I can pull the 3h or 4w out and close the gap with the 5h.

I'm looking hard at the apex hybrid line to compliment my CF16s, but looking at the lofts of the 4h and the CF16 5i, there doesn't look to be much difference. Has anyone tried this combo and can comment on the gapping?

I'm looking hard at the apex hybrid line to compliment my CF16s, but looking at the lofts of the 4h and the CF16 5i, there doesn't look to be much difference. Has anyone tried this combo and can comment on the gapping?

I would say you'll be fine dropping the 5i and adding the 4h in its place. Both are solid options but with a steel shaft in the 4h, I have just as much control with the 5i it is replacing.

Neb, you'll have to trust the folks at Callaway. They say the club is an iron replacement. Just wait and see what happens.

I know my response is not exactly what you are asking but... I have one degree of loft between my XR Pro 4 hybrid and OG Apex 5i, yet about 15 yards in distance gap. Trust your fitter, they will make sure you are dialed in.

I know my response is not exactly what you are asking but... I have one degree of loft between my XR Pro 4 hybrid and OG Apex 5i, yet about 15 yards in distance gap. Trust your fitter, they will make sure you are dialed in.
My thought is with the cup face in the CF16, that you wouldn't see the traditional gap between hybrids and irons.

I'll absolutely trust my fitter, but want to have as much info ahead of time in case we don't have time to check all the gaps and have to make educated guesses. That info may also help others who don't have the benefit of getting a fitting but are trying to find the right hybrid to pair with their CF16s.

And I would be surprised to see a 15 yard gap in only a 1* difference between the Apex irons and hybrids just because the Apex hybrids are not intended for distance. With that said, I have a feeling they slot in very nicely with the iron set eliminating that gapping issue which is often seen in the transition spot from iron to hybrid.

I would say you'll be fine dropping the 5i and adding the 4h in its place. Both are solid options but with a steel shaft in the 4h, I have just as much control with the 5i it is replacing.

Not dropping the 5, having 4h and 5i in the bag at the same time. The 4h would take the 4i spot in my setup.

Not dropping the 5, having 4h and 5i in the bag at the same time. The 4h would take the 4i spot in my setup.

Oh gotcha. Sorry about that Neb. Got confused. Well I would say with stock set ups, I would hesitate to put both 5i CF16 and 4h apex hybrid in the bag. But that's me based on my yardages and preference

Callaway Apex Hybrid Preview

Callaway Apex Hybrid Preview

My thought is with the cup face in the CF16, that you wouldn't see the traditional gap between hybrids and irons.

I'll absolutely trust my fitter, but want to have as much info ahead of time in case we don't have time to check all the gaps and have to make educated guesses. That info may also help others who don't have the benefit of getting a fitting but are trying to find the right hybrid to pair with their CF16s.

Yep, and I think that's only answered by hitting it. You will definitely have to make educated guesses in certain areas. Fortunately it will be with the help of a club fitting PH.D.

I'm very curious to see how the Apex hybrid compares to the XR Pro. I like that it's designed to be an extension of the irons as that's what I want from a hybrid, accurate and 15 yards longer than my longest iron.

I have a chance to hit the Apex hybrid today. Truly an iron replacement , hits fairly high lands soft. I thinking I will add it to my 6-pw,aw cf16 irons. Different feel but good , like it .
gb

Went to golfsmith and messed with the 2 hybrid. What a solid offering! Elevates really well considering 18° loft. Shaft pairing I dare say is perfect
13e98fc4e1e0d46ae72c040e12bf9afa.jpg

Went to golfsmith and messed with the 2 hybrid. What a solid offering! Elevates really well considering 18° loft. Shaft pairing I dare say is perfect
13e98fc4e1e0d46ae72c040e12bf9afa.jpg

You, my friend, are a monster!

Soon....soon....so so so so soon.

Got a chance to play the 2 today. Very easy to hit. Used it off the tee and from the fairway several time apiece. High, penetrating ballflight. Fantastic feel and sound.

I have tried the 3 and the 4 and like both quite a bit. I am actually thinking about going 4 and 5 shockingly enough and keeping the Heavenwood.

Exactly what I'm thinking. HW, 4 apex hy, 5 apex hy, 6-AW.

Would the HW be more in line with the 3 Apex HY instead of the 4 Apex HY? My new Apex's were just delivered and I ordered the 4 Apex HY and 5 - AW. I'll need to fill a gap between my Burner 3W (15 degree) and my Apex 4 HY. For reference I hit my Burner about 235 and was hitting the 4 HY about 210 on the simulator. But I can't hit the Burner off the deck for crap.

Would the HW be more in line with the 3 Apex HY instead of the 4 Apex HY? My new Apex's were just delivered and I ordered the 4 Apex HY and 5 - AW. I'll need to fill a gap between my Burner 3W (15 degree) and my Apex 4 HY. For reference I hit my Burner about 235 and was hitting the 4 HY about 210 on the simulator. But I can't hit the Burner off the deck for crap.

Really depends on the person. I find it inline with my 3 hybrid, others have found 4 hybrid.

Anybody hit these compared to the X2hot pro? I been in ponder mode on a 4h to replace my 4i next year. Like my x2hot pro but I am intrigued.

Anybody hit these compared to the X2hot pro? I been in ponder mode on a 4h to replace my 4i next year. Like my x2hot pro but I am intrigued.

I have both. Very different clubs. I mean like polar opposite difference. Size, look, sound, feel, distance, ball flight. Everything is completely different to me.

HMM may have to try and find a place I can get on a simulator then so I can get some numbers.

I know it's a debated topic about hybrids that "go left", but I can say that these hybrids after my first round truly shine as high launching and fade biased. They certainly set up neutral and are weighted to encourage a more consistent ball flight. I am heavily debating a 5H at this point based on performance so far.

Also, I would say the 3H is more inline with the Heavenwood for distance based on my experience so far.

Back