Launch Monitor Testing w/ Howzat

Thanks for the updates guys.

Lovin' the updates guys! Crushing the AC!

Side spin numbers. Does that number indicate looking down at the ball? L being clockwise spin or counter clockwise? Does than number have much value?

I believe left is counter-clockwise. So 700L is likely relatively straight to a slight draw, and 3000R is in the pool behind a house on the right side of the fairway.

That distance loss on the toe miss with the SLDR is nuts for a slight miss.

Yikes hopefully he has another option for the MC

I'm assuming the JetSpeed will be an option. More forgiving and not as low spin, yes?

More forgiving and not as low spin, yes?

It depends on who you ask. I believe it is, due to more spin for a lot of golfers. The CG placement is similar to SLDR however.

Dang Erik, much better numbers on the AC for you. Especially on ball speed. You need to hit the Bio Cell on the screws for some good comparison!

Got tired fairly quickly and lost the driver swing for a while. Not enough time to get all the comparisons I was hoping for. I was interesting playing the same shaft in multiple heads over a few days and seeing that just taking the same shaft and expecting similar results in different heads is just silly. To really be a fair comparison you would need to spend hours trying to find the right setting and shafts that work in each and then compare apples to apples so to speak.

Some random thoughts:

-BB Alpha has some cool tech. 700 rpm difference for me with the gravity core change. Driver is just not a great fit for me. JB on the other hand hits this very well.
-Big Bertha may have been a tie for me for best driver. It played very similar to he AMP Cell that I love. Not the longest but all kinds of forgiveness. Just too much spin.
-Bio Cell was one that I didn't end up getting very many swipes with. Would need some more with this one but from what I could tell it would also fall into the too much spin category.
-Bio Cell + was the winner on the day. Best distance on the LM by a few yards and misses tended to be directional vs. distance. When I get my swing dialed in this will be a bomber for me.
-SLDR and Covert 2.0 just did not do much for me. Distance was toward the bottom of the group and misses were punished.
-Some really good stock shaft offerings. Callaway and Cobra stand out here.

Time to hit some irons.

qeranete.jpg

These may be my three favorite irons on the market right now and it is tough to try to put them in any order. Got a few more yards out of the Bio Cell's but the sound (feel) was not quite as good as the Nike or Callaway offerings. Basically impossible for me to make a decision between them if I had to pick just one after only hitting 7 irons at the range. 3 very solid irons.

Last edited:
The too much spin in the Bertha is enticing for a no spin player like myself

Some great info Howzat. Really good stuff.

Is this monitor going to be available next weekend?
I would love to get a few shots on it. Never used one before.

Oh I think you would really like the BB. A lot.

Hit it a few times in Jan in FL and liked it. Really like it and the bio cell so far in 2014

Launch Monitor Testing w/ Howzat

I agree about the BB Howzat. It's very forgiving and solid, but the stock head/shaft combo was a little spinny for me as well. A shaft change did help it though

I agree about the BB Howzat. It's very forgiving and solid, but the stock head/shaft combo was a little spinny for me as well. A shaft change did help it though

I am sure with the right shaft it could be a great driver for me.

I am a low spin player and I even found the BB to be super high spin. I went with an X-Stiff shaft in The King in the hopes that it will help cut the spin down to a reasonable level.

Are you guys talking about side spin or ballooning ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm talking lots of backspin. Not quite ballooning but far from ideal launch conditions.

So cool to see you guys hitting stuff with the monitor. Some great info there, thanks guys!

Some real cool info in this thread.

I'm beginning to worry a little about TaylorMade's driver offerings for the Morgan Cup.

Back