Which ball is the best?

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Comment came up on an article and I thought it was interesting.

The commenter said that he'd tested every ball out there and that ball X would be the 'best' ball of 2015. Interestingly enough, the ball he'd chosen as 'best' in 2014 was about as different from this one as he could get without changing cover types.

Is there such thing as a 'best' ball?

If so, what's the criteria?

The one that best fits my game. Which means what I consider the "best ball" will be different from a lot of other people.

I believe there is only a best ball as far as one individual goes, there is no best ball for the masses. It is mostly dependent on what the individual wants out of the ball.

No such thing as a "best ball" for the general public. Every player is looking for something different in a golf ball, whether it's spin, distance, forgiveness, feel, tour recognition, or price point. There is no "best ball" for everyone, despite what some commercials say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one I can get the best deal on.

Seriously though, its what fits my needs and wants the best, and traditionally its been the 330-RX.

The best ball for a golfer is the one that fits that individual golfer to maximize their performance. One size fits all does not apply to golf balls.

There is such a thing as a best ball for an individual person and there is such thing as the best ball in terms of fitting the widest cross section of the golfing community but to say something is the Best ball without adding to that sentiment is just silly.

Best ball for my game at a reasonable price point.

Honestly I have never found the best ball for my game. I've gone through ball fittings in the past and usually like what the recommendation is. However I've yet to find that magical ball. I guess when I am looking for a golf ball I have criteria that usually looks at a few things.

1)Performance
2)Price
3)Durability

Just give me something that feels good off the putter and I'll deal with all the other shots.

I think the is no single best ball, everyone wants and needs something different.

Some want distance, some feel, others want spin, some look at price.

The best ball is the one that does exactly what I tell it to do, that doesn't sink in water and is never lost in rough :D

Joking aside, I agree that there isn't a ball that is the best for everyone as we all want something different from it

I don't know if there is or isn't. I play a ball that was fit for me. But that certainly only means that's the best ball they have offer me. I haven't tried every ball manufacturer on the market, and have no intentions on doing so. My game has enough issues elsewhere that finding that magic ball seems a little silly.

I'd take it a step further and say many people notice larger differences between balls than exist in reality. Especially if we're talking about spin, distance, or directional control. So many variables out there that can make something appear to be better or worse. We have a good or bad round or even just a good/bad series of shots and a ball suddenly spins more or is 'straighter' or is longer.

I don't really believe in a "best ball" for the golfing layman. I think that for 99% of us, the ball that we see the best numbers from will vary from day-to-day. With that said, I do have a preferred golf ball, but I cannot firmly say that it is the "best" for my game, whatever that means.

When it comes to "premium" golf balls, I'm just not good enough to discern the subtle differences. That is not to say I don't have preferences. But, to me it is more subjective than based on data. If I have confidence in a ball, for whatever reason, that's my ball. For some time that has been the Bridgestone B330-S because it was recommended to me after more than one dynamic fitting. I can't discern the differences, but the monitor can.

I don't know how there could be a best ball. We've been told for the past few years to play a ball that fits our game (except Titleist ProV1, those work for everyone). So the "best ball" for player A may not be the "best ball" for Player B. Even on the PGA Tour for those that play Titleist, some are playing ProV1X, others just the ProV1. Obviously, among the elite who play that brand of ball, they don't all agree that one model is the "best ball."

The commenter MAY have found the best ball for him, but it won't be the best ball for everyone. Truthfully, I was blown away at several aspects of the Monsta Golf Balls this past Fall, which just goes to show that even the 'best ball' for me can change over time.

~Rock

Comment came up on an article and I thought it was interesting.

The commenter said that he'd tested every ball out there and that ball X would be the 'best' ball of 2015. Interestingly enough, the ball he'd chosen as 'best' in 2014 was about as different from this one as he could get without changing cover types.

Is there such thing as a 'best' ball?

Best in anything is so circumstantial and different to each individual that it is ridiculous to have a "best" of just about anything that has human input. Just like you can't have the "best" irons/driver/bag/glove/grip/anything golf really because everyone is different and uses everything slightly differently.

Now with that said I believe that an individual can have something that is the best for them personally. But even with that the criteria changes from player to player and will change as your game evolves.

I believe there is only a best ball as far as one individual goes, there is no best ball for the masses. It is mostly dependent on what the individual wants out of the ball.

No such thing as a "best ball" for the general public. Every player is looking for something different in a golf ball, whether it's spin, distance, forgiveness, feel, tour recognition, or price point. There is no "best ball" for everyone, despite what some commercials say.

The one I can get the best deal on.

Seriously though, its what fits my needs and wants the best, and traditionally its been the 330-RX.

The best ball for a golfer is the one that fits that individual golfer to maximize their performance. One size fits all does not apply to golf balls.

There is such a thing as a best ball for an individual person and there is such thing as the best ball in terms of fitting the widest cross section of the golfing community but to say something is the Best ball without adding to that sentiment is just silly.

I think the is no single best ball, everyone wants and needs something different.

Some want distance, some feel, others want spin, some look at price.

The best ball is the one that does exactly what I tell it to do, that doesn't sink in water and is never lost in rough :D

Joking aside, I agree that there isn't a ball that is the best for everyone as we all want something different from it

I don't really believe in a "best ball" for the golfing layman. I think that for 99% of us, the ball that we see the best numbers from will vary from day-to-day. With that said, I do have a preferred golf ball, but I cannot firmly say that it is the "best" for my game, whatever that means.

I don't know how there could be a best ball. We've been told for the past few years to play a ball that fits our game (except Titleist ProV1, those work for everyone). So the "best ball" for player A may not be the "best ball" for Player B. Even on the PGA Tour for those that play Titleist, some are playing ProV1X, others just the ProV1. Obviously, among the elite who play that brand of ball, they don't all agree that one model is the "best ball."

The commenter MAY have found the best ball for him, but it won't be the best ball for everyone. Truthfully, I was blown away at several aspects of the Monsta Golf Balls this past Fall, which just goes to show that even the 'best ball' for me can change over time.

~Rock

Best in anything is so circumstantial and different to each individual that it is ridiculous to have a "best" of just about anything that has human input. Just like you can't have the "best" irons/driver/bag/glove/grip/anything golf really because everyone is different and uses everything slightly differently.

Now with that said I believe that an individual can have something that is the best for them personally. But even with that the criteria changes from player to player and will change as your game evolves.

So it's not the Pro V1, even though that lady from Titleist said it is?

Yeah, best ball can mean so many different things. I think for many golfers, the best ball is probably a NON Urethane cover ball as most struggle to control spin keeping the ball in play, and under club into greens where extra spin exaggerates the problem.

I would like to think that a urethane "Tour" ball is better for my game yet some of my best scores have come while using cheaper surilyn covered balls that minimize my misses off the tee.

So it's not the Pro V1, even though that lady from Titleist said it is?

First, that may be one of the most epic multiquotes I've seen in quite awhile.

Second, of course ProV1 is the best. What Titleist says is gospel.

Third, that's why I play ProV1 (sarcasm, not really, it took 1.5 years of testing balls out to find the best ball for my home course).

~Rock

The best ball is the one that listens to instructions in the air, as of yet, I've not found it.

To say that there is one ball that is best for everyone is silly. These days there are so many different specialized features in balls that folks with different needs are taken care of. For instance, I believe that the Bridgestone E6 is a fantastic ball that eliminates sidespin like no other, for some, that is a perfect fit. Does that mean that Matt Kuchar is going to start playing the E6? Heck no!!

Here's a link to the video I was referncing AND the THP thread on it. It is an excellent read.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/pga-show-mary-lou-bohn-titleist/

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?28507-Pro-V1-Best-Ball-for-ALL-Golfers-!!

And here is the OP from that thread:

You're going to love this one. Mary Lou Bohn is the VP of Golf Ball Marketing and Communications for Titleist. In a recent interview from the PGA Show with Jimmy Roberts she goes on to explain to Roberts that the Pro V1 is "the best performing golf ball for all golfers." Link below, if someone knows how to embed that video into the page let me know or feel free to post it here.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/pga-show-012712-titleist-mary-lou-bohn/

The best ball is the one that listens to me while traveling through the air or across a green after striking it.

The only ball that has come close to this is the e5......it went when I told it to and it sat when I told it to (both on the same shot). Then someone said it's coming right at the flag and it went in.

Oh.....and I have video proof.

Like anything else, proclaiming something the best is usually more about lip service and opinion than anything else. I suppose the best golf ball for me would consist of going as far as possible when I swing well, do its best to minimize my misses by either not spinning as much/staying straighter and give me great feel on and around the greens. I don't care how it spins because that's not really part of my game, but how it feels off the face of my putter and wedges, and my ability to control the ball flight wise and roll distance wise is important to me.

My knowledge of ball characteristics is fairly limited, but the three balls that resonate to me over the years have been the Supersoft, E6 and Velocity. No idea if these have similar features or not.

Back