Most influential person in hip hop.

How is Run DMV not in the discussion especially joining forces with Aerosmith to do walk this way. Not to mention their style influence with the adidas shoes and clothes.

To me that is the perfect expression on why I dont believe it to be a popular rapper.
Rick Rubin is arguably responsible for that taking place. Ironically 2 of the 3 members of Run DMC didn't want to do it at first.

I don't dispute Rick Rubin being influential and while they were popular I would put their influence up,there with most artists and industry folks of that era.

I also think eazy-e was as if not more influential than dre and others mentioned,

Im confused. I think you might have Rick Rubin confused with someone else. See the bolded (while they were popular and up there with most artists). You said Run DMC (interesting typo) and linked their partnership with Aerosmith as the reasoning. I was pointing out that Rick Rubin is the person that came up with the idea for that partnership and he and Russell Simmons together put it in place with DMC. It was also actually their manager on the road Lyor Cohen that got the adidas thing going.

Unless you are saying that Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons were just artists and industry folks of that era. Which I think you will find most hip hop people to disagree with.

I don't see any mention of Nas with his albums up to I Am. Illmatic, it was written and I am are great.
Everyone seems to have forgotten about the Pharcyde as well. Common and his early stuff was really good as well. Can't forget Black thought and The Roots either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one's got Eminem? I know the ones before and what they did him but didn't he bring it home by making it mainstream?

Didn't Dre basically make Eminem what he was?

I don't see any mention of Nas with his albums up to I Am. Illmatic, it was written and I am are great.
Everyone seems to have forgotten about the Pharcyde as well. Common and his early stuff was really good as well. Can't forget Black thought and The Roots either.

Dude...

Passing me by - Pharcyde is one of the most underrated hip-hop songs ever... the whole song just flows and it is IMO perfect. That and tell me you haven't cranked up "Otha fish" after a bad breakup

Hard to go against Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine, after watching "The Defiant Ones". It reveals a lot to one who did not follow the game that closely. But I think Jay Z has done wonders for the hip hop game and Diddy has made an empire over at Bad Boy.

Hard to go against Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine, after watching "The Defiant Ones". It reveals a lot to one who did not follow the game that closely. But I think Jay Z has done wonders for the hip hop game and Diddy has made an empire over at Bad Boy.

Has he though? I can think of Biggie........nobody else. Definitely nobody current.

I have come to appreciate his music more than I did way back when. Thank you XM radio.

Have always liked his message,lyrics. Have yet to see the movie yet,but will change that soon

Run DMC and the Beastie Boys.

Snow has got to be somewhere in the middle here.

Lil Dicky
Man I am going to have to go listen to the album now. Little pillow talking, classic male pregame.....

Has he though? I can think of Biggie........nobody else. Definitely nobody current.
He had Mase back in the day and Lil Kim, The LOX and some others. Guess now he is making his money on other things but he is worth $820mil so he is doing something well. Off topic I know

Maybe not as influential as others already listed but Wu-Tang did some work

I was listening to Wu-Tang at the gym a couple of weeks ago.

I'm also going to throw this out there, De La Soul and Tribe Called Quest are required listenings. Hip hop doesn't have to be super hard street life. Inject some positivity and thought into your rap music.

Also, The Roots "Things Fall Apart" and the "The Roots Come Alive" are masterpieces as well.

Theres no one greatest influence. Up until maybe 10 years the answer is "The DJ". Whoever the go-to DJ is at the time has the most influence. Kool Herc, Red Alert, as a couple early day DJs, The DJ Clue's, Tony Touch, Green Lanterns basically made or broke an artist. DJ Premier, Diamond D, DJ Evil Dee... laid down the soundtrack to the NY Streetlife of the 90's, and made the DJ-> Producer crossover more mainstream. Dr. Dre (NWA), Ice T and others put the west coast gangsta movement on the map. Guys like Master P and E40 made millions independently and gave the blueprint for artists to break away from the Major Label shackles. Russel Simmons kicked down doors and along with Rubin made Def Jam a house hold name. Outkast and Goodie Mob made the eccentric outside the box sound more acceptable....

I can ramble about hip hop all day...As a veteran in 3/4 of the elements of hip hop (i never COULD breakdance) I spent the majority of my life in it.

Last edited:
Dr Dre

Dude...

Passing me by - Pharcyde is one of the most underrated hip-hop songs ever... the whole song just flows and it is IMO perfect. That and tell me you haven't cranked up "Otha fish" after a bad breakup
Pharcyde is the shiz... go listen to "Runnin'" and "Drop" and try not to listen for a second time.

The Wu changed how groups think about being a group and breaking out as solo artists and controlling it under one big umbrella or leader (The Rza). And ODB took crazy to a whole new level of course. LOL

Heiroglyphics is another group with the same group / solo artists thing going on.

I'm also going to throw this out there, De La Soul and Tribe Called Quest are required listenings. Hip hop doesn't have to be super hard street life. Inject some positivity and thought into your rap music.

Also, The Roots "Things Fall Apart" and the "The Roots Come Alive" are masterpieces as well.
I can drop positive examples all day and wish more people would listen to them so they don't think hip hop / rap is only the crap on most radio stations.

The Roots "Do you want more?!?!!?" and "Illadelph Halflife" are better albums IMO, and if you ever get a chance to see them live, do NOT hesitate....although I prefer them from 15 years ago, they still put on a helluva show!

Their influence was being an awesome live band and still having seriously dope beats!

Theres no one greatest influence. Up until maybe 10 years the answer is "The DJ". Whoever the go-to DJ is at the time has the most influence. Kool Herc, Red Alert, as a couple early day DJs, The DJ Clue's, Tony Touch, Green Lanterns basically made or broke an artist. DJ Premier, Diamond D, DJ Evil Dee... laid down the soundtrack to the NY Streetlife of the 90's, and made the DJ-> Producer crossover more mainstream. Dr. Dre (NWA), Ice T and others put the west coast gangsta movement on the map. Guys like Master P and E40 made millions independently and gave the blueprint for artists to break away from the Major Label shackles. Russel Simmons kicked down doors and along with Rubin made Def Jam a house hold name. Outkast and Goodie Mob made the eccentric outside the box sound more acceptable....

I can ramble about hip hop all day...As a veteran in all 3/4 of the elements of hip hop (i never COULD breakdance) I spent the majority of my life in it.
Nice addition to the conversation! Can't forget the DJ! Like you, I could ramble about hip hop all day long. If we ever meet at a THP event, you will have to tell me more about your involvement in 3 of the 4 elements.

Heiroglyphics is a group I haven't heard in a long time. Such good stuff in the day.

I can ramble about hip hop all day...As a veteran in 3/4 of the elements of hip hop (i never COULD breakdance) I spent the majority of my life in it.

I agree 100% on the once power of the DJ. Funk Master Flex, D-Nice, Pete Rock man I would love waiting for the new DJ Ron G mixtape to drop.

krs-one

Kool Herc (Eastcoast) many consider the godfather of Hip Hop (1972)

Easy E (Westcoast) many consider the godfather of gangster rap (1987)

Rick Rubin (east)

Jimmy Iovine (west)

Back