TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Thanks for the insight. I would say that I am a higher spin player. So would the r1 be able to bring that down to a more optimal level. On my better shots the monitor said I was spinning at around 2900 rpm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the insight. I would say that I am a higher spin player. So would the r1 be able to bring that down to a more optimal level. On my better shots the monitor said I was spinning at around 2900 rpm

One of the lowest spinning stock setups I've seen. Not just for me, but for a host of players I've fit. Definitely give it a tryout.

One of the lowest spinning stock setups I've seen. Not just for me, but for a host of players I've fit. Definitely give it a tryout.

That surprises me with stock setups such as the Bridgestone j40 and Cleveland Classic.

Is 2900 rpm considered a lot of spin?

I'm not really sure if it is or not. The person helping me wasn't really that helpful with the numbers

Is 2900 rpm considered a lot of spin?

Really depends on your ss and a of a. My ss is around 105mph and my a of a is between +1 & +2, so I try to keep my spin rate between 2400-2600 rpm. For players with a slower ss they need more spin to reach optimal carry numbers. I remember reading an article where they broke down proper spin numbers per ss. I believe it was 3100-3400 for ss of 80-90, 2800-3100 for ss of 90-100, 2500-2800 for ss of 100-110, and so on. Dont quote me on that because im not sure if that is exactly correct. Those numbers are also to maximize carry not carry and roll.

Tapatalking from the bottom of the cup.

I agree totally with JLit26 on this, the R1 is the first driver for me that has knocked the spin down and flattened out my ball flight with out having to go to a shaft that feels like a telegraph pole! The other plus is that you can use it with higher loft so it helps with side spin numbers and accuracy.

Taylormade has now made the v2 (tour head) avaliable it is now on there website for $599

Picked up the Black after hitting it many times in the sim. Second driver I've purchased this year as I've never had as much luck with my Amp Cell as I did when I first bought it. After 45 holes, I think I might have a solid driver here. I'm seeing much less severe misses, which is a good thing because I can miss the crap out of a driver. Good hits are pretty darn long too.

Currently set at 10.5˚ with draw weighting. Messing with the sole plate a little still, but honestly not seeing a ton of difference between the draw/closed settings. Haven't gone the other way yet. Going to try and get some range time in this week to dial it in a little more. Hopefully I'll be back to my old self soon enough!

Congrats on the purchase! I love how this driver likes to find fairways :) I mentioned in the R1 Black thread that I had maybe my 4 best drives ever on my home courses 4 hardest driving holes yesterday.

Bought the black R1 myself, 1 round under the belt and a little range time. Still tuning it in lol.
It does feel different on impact compared to my old Ping i15.
I'm getting good distance and usual ball flight just the impact is throwing my some.
Anyone else notice this or is it me?

I had a great driving day with my r1 drove a 290 yard green and only missed two fairways with it all day. Love the solid click on center hits and the ball is GONE!

Bought the black R1 myself, 1 round under the belt and a little range time. Still tuning it in lol.
It does feel different on impact compared to my old Ping i15.
I'm getting good distance and usual ball flight just the impact is throwing my some.
Anyone else notice this or is it me?

Nope. I think it's sounds awful looks ugly and feels strange however the thing performs like a champ I'm just starting to play with the settings a little and see what happens. I'm thinking ear plugs should be sold as an accessory.

Nope. I think it's sounds awful looks ugly and feels strange however the thing performs like a champ I'm just starting to play with the settings a little and see what happens. I'm thinking ear plugs should be sold as an accessory.

This. Exactly this.

Haha! It is definitely loud. I wasn't a fan of the white, but the Black was too good to pass up. Like the old school look at address.

I have noticed that this driver feels a little more head-heavy than the Cell or the Classic. Could just be me but that's how it feels. I like it. Now if only I could hit it as square as my 3W...

Honestly, I don't get all the talk about sound. If I hit it way particularly out away from the middle it can sound off, but shouldn't it not sound great on mishits? On regular strikes it sounds good. Also, even though the black and original are supposed to be exactly the same I sometimes think the Black is slickly more muted.

Honestly, I don't get all the talk about sound. If I hit it way particularly out away from the middle it can sound off, but shouldn't it not sound great on mishits? On regular strikes it sounds good. Also, even though the black and original are supposed to be exactly the same I sometimes think the Black is slickly more muted.

For me it's because of the driver I'm coming off of.

For me it's because of the driver I'm coming off of.

SI and I are twinsies on this it seems. I'm coming off the X Hot which is the sweetest sounding and feeling driver I've gamed in awhile. Just couldn't deny the R1 numbers any longer.

I picked up a black R1...so pumped. Small par 4's are starting to shudder.

Threw a gray Lamkin REL 3Gen on mine today and took a few hacks in the sim. Gaming it for the first time at MB this Thursday and Friday. Can't wait to see it translate to the course.

Threw a gray Lamkin REL 3Gen on mine today and took a few hacks in the sim. Gaming it for the first time at MB this Thursday and Friday. Can't wait to see it translate to the course.

Sorry the XHP didn't work for you but I honestly think you're better off. There's just something about those drivers that don't seem exactly "solid" to me.

Thought about the R1 black before trying the D2/D3, it's a great stick. Happy Driving... :D

Having my Black R1 fitted today at 11 am by my club pro. I hope he gets it tune in for me. I messed around a bit myself but didn't notice any differents between the settings.

Hi
How do I change my loft from 10.5 to 11.25 on my r1 driver? I can't find a setting for it.

It is the unlabeled hash mark between the 10.5* and 12* settings.

Back