2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid $1.99 for the warmup sets on the StrongLifts app. It's definitely worth it. Best I have felt the day following a workout in a long time.

Scraping the funk off the incline bench I'm guessing :)

Two choices for a replacement right now. One is a pretty highly regarded place for weights and reasonably priced. Other one is actually where Miletich Fighting Systems is based out of. They have a big Crossfit program there too, but I'm not so sure about that. May go that route and get the boy into MFS though.

Started out with a 400m row for time

then
5 rounds with 2 min rest between rounds
10 push-ups
10 box jumps
5 each arm TGU with 20 kg kettle bell
each round for time, but the idea is to stay consistent with your time

finish with 400m row for time

I know a bunch of THPers love crossfit. I don't mind the theory. I just despise the application of it.

Want to know if somebody does Crossfit? Wait 5 minutes and they will tell you.

I know a bunch of THPers love crossfit. I don't mind the theory. I just despise the application of it.

Watched the National Crossfit Championship Games on Fox Sports this past weekend, that crap is crazy.

I know it gets a bad rap for that and for some of the questionable methods/form that gung-ho people use, but we'll see. I'll probably sit in once or just watch and see. They have a mandatory beginner class before they allow you in the bigger class to learn some of the basics.

Either way though - main perk of that place would be the MFS for the kid and possibly me down the line.

"I'm in much better shape than you because I get bruises from my workouts."

Warmup
3x
10 Strict Press
10 Burpee
10 Box Jump

Strength
Squat Clean and Jerk
2RM at 135
1 x 135
1 x 125
Almost had 145 but couldn't quite get under the bar. For me the jerk is the 'easy' part as I am comfortable with split technique and am quick getting under the bar on the jerk.

Metcon
30 alternating DB Presses (20# DB)
100 Single arm KB Snatches (12kg)
30 Burpee Box Jumps (20" Box)
30 Alt DB Press (25# DB)
13:16

I really don't care what they call it, the gym I go to switched from art of strength to crossfit
the only way I'll workout is if I pay someone to tell me what to do.
I do agree there are some over the top people that think it's the only way but I'm not one of them
i switch between 2 classes the other is called dynamic which works on core muscles

One problem I am having with working out is sneaker failures. For Oly lifts and squats I wear Oly shoes and for running I wear running shoes but I have been wearing Reebok ONE Trainers for regular work and the soles keep breaking at the same point along the outside of the shoe. The first pair was around a year but the second pair was at 1 month. What do other guys wear for crosstraining/Crossfit type work.

Folks- I'm in vacation with my family - next week I will be available daily for tips and discussion. I'm really sorry that I haven't been around much in here of late

One problem I am having with working out is sneaker failures. For Oly lifts and squats I wear Oly shoes and for running I wear running shoes but I have been wearing Reebok ONE Trainers for regular work and the soles keep breaking at the same point along the outside of the shoe. The first pair was around a year but the second pair was at 1 month. What do other guys wear for crosstraining/Crossfit type work.

I wear new balance cross trainers. They seem to hold up well

Watched the National Crossfit Championship Games on Fox Sports this past weekend, that crap is crazy.

It is nuts. I can't do half of that stuff. I'm not jealous. But I saw some lifts were the form left the lifter, but the rep was pushed through despite the form. I hate that.

"I'm in much better shape than you because I get bruises from my workouts."

I don't mind workouts that give bruises. I loathe people who think that their better than anybody because they get those bruises.

I know it gets a bad rap for that and for some of the questionable methods/form that gung-ho people use, but we'll see. I'll probably sit in once or just watch and see. They have a mandatory beginner class before they allow you in the bigger class to learn some of the basics.

Either way though - main perk of that place would be the MFS for the kid and possibly me down the line.

Good luck man. I'm more about people finding what works for them. For many - it is the way to go. One thing I stress is form

2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

I had some Aciscs trainers that were marvelous. Being that I'm mostly squaring and deadlifts, I wear Olys all the time. But if I was going back to box jumps and things like that, I would go back to those in a second.

Add - trail running shoes also work very well.

It is nuts. I can't do half of that stuff. I'm not jealous. But I saw some lifts were the form left the lifter, but the rep was pushed through despite the form. I hate that.

I don't mind workouts that give bruises. I loathe people who think that their better than anybody because they get those bruises.

You would hate cyclists.

I consider myself a reformed CrossFit athlete. I don't care how fast you can do things, so much as how fast you can do things right. Sure, there are movements where you can't expect perfect form (muscle ups, for example), but I believe very strongly in learning the progression through the movements. I hate the idea of heavy Oly lifts done for time (admittedly, my definition of "heavy" is relative.) If you're moving more than your bodyweight (or for women, more than 75% of your bodyweight) in an olympic movement (snatch, clean, overhead squat, jerk, thruster, similar movements), I can't bring myself to do them for time. Yes, this means there are some workouts in CrossFit where I simply don't do them quickly as a result, while others I blast through.

I enjoy CF, but I like to think I'm not bound to it. there's still a lot of movements that aren't strongly addressed by the exercises espoused, the hip/shoulder turning & separation of a golf swing is certainly one of those movements that I rarely see shored up. Which is funny when you think of the number of common "farmland" exercises that use that movement (tossing hay, shoveling snow, swinging an axe.)

I've been using Altra shoes for workouts, and I love them. Zero drop shoe with just a little bit of cushion for running. Admittedly, I don't and never have used Oly shoes for lifting, I prefer barefoot. Anyway, for general fitness stuff, Altras do the job for me.

I consider myself a reformed CrossFit athlete. I don't care how fast you can do things, so much as how fast you can do things right. Sure, there are movements where you can't expect perfect form (muscle ups, for example), but I believe very strongly in learning the progression through the movements. I hate the idea of heavy Oly lifts done for time (admittedly, my definition of "heavy" is relative.) If you're moving more than your bodyweight (or for women, more than 75% of your bodyweight) in an olympic movement (snatch, clean, overhead squat, jerk, thruster, similar movements), I can't bring myself to do them for time. Yes, this means there are some workouts in CrossFit where I simply don't do them quickly as a result, while others I blast through.

I enjoy CF, but I like to think I'm not bound to it. there's still a lot of movements that aren't strongly addressed by the exercises espoused, the hip/shoulder turning & separation of a golf swing is certainly one of those movements that I rarely see shored up. Which is funny when you think of the number of common "farmland" exercises that use that movement (tossing hay, shoveling snow, swinging an axe.)
I like my box because form is big to them and they definitely encourage scaling during the metcons. We use dedicated strength time for heavy weight. I have never felt bad for not doing RX. They want to help get you better.

Still haven't heard from Reebok but I got a crazy deal on Amazon on a pair of NB Minimus MX20v3. They seem to have a slight cushion for box jumps which is good.

Tweaked my calf last week & took a few days off, but got out & did 7 miles this morning (not fast, mind you, but still without walking, so that's an improvement)

Had a nice bike ride today, haven't done that in a while. Felt really good...I need to do this more often.

I've got a question for anyone:

I always assumed 4 laps on the inside lane at the local high school track was 1 mile. I'm using Map My Run app, and it's telling me that the 1 mile mark is slightly less than 4 laps, so I wonder which is correct?

Does anybody else have this inconsistency using a running app?

Today I start my journey, I had to finish eating all the crap in the house because I couldn't put it in the trash lol.

Today I weigh 194.5, my moobs are about a B cup, and my belly is a 1/4 keg! My goal is to get back to 178, get off cholesterol meds (hereditary) and increase stamina and muscle, hopefully flexibility will follow. We're going to the gym this morning to join and get going. I just don't feel healthy anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back