2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is interested ill be doing a thread about a one month juice cleanse

http://whole30.com/

All things being equal, it's a 30 day diet (intentionally non-sustainable) that's zero sugar, near-zero carb, no dairy,, no booze, no legume, no junk food substituted (ie muffins with almond flour). It's supposed to suss out latent allergies to things, like lactose intolerance that manifests in odd ways, or peanut allergies that don't kill you, just make you not feel so hot. When you get done, you add things back into your diet slowly and can find things that affect your body that you don't notice because you're normally consuming a lot of different kinds of crappy food. It helps that the big reset button is enough time to clean out your liver and alcohol tolerance, your kidneys, etc. Helps break up some bad habits like only eating veggies with a sauce of some kind.

I finished mine on 31 January. I feel really good. Rebecca and I gave ourselves one minor cheat (I got sriracha with my eggs) and ate really healthy. Saved a ton of money not eating out or drinking booze, we both lost some weight, and we both feel better. It's not really a diet to couple with an exercise regimen, because the really low-carb part makes sustained aerobic exercise tough, and you run the risk or burning off some lean muscle, but otherwise, I think it was really good, and a solid reset button. I'm a bit of a hedonist when it comes to food and drink, and I got away with it for years by just killing myself in the gym...these days, that started to catch up with me, especially when it came to recovering from tough workouts. It was a really good evaluation of how much more I need to pay attention to what I'm eating. Now that we're both comfortable with that diet, we're more aware of when we're consuming things like starches or dairy, because we didn't do it for a month.

My wife and I plan to run it longer with minor treats here and there but we both feel great.

My wife and I plan to run it longer with minor treats here and there but we both feel great.

Agreed. Rebecca and I have transitioned pretty easily to the paleo-diet this month, but we've added in carbs as she's training for a marathon, and I'm getting back to anaerobic endurance training (ie CrossFit WODs) as well as training for a couple of obstacle course races. We need a bit more energy on call than we got from Whole 30. The biggest thing to me is that I recognize what's a staple and what's a splurge. Eggs are a staple. Beer is a splurge. Beef is a staple. Cashews are a staple. Vegetables are a staple. Pizza is a splurge. Soda is a splurge. When you can recognize that, I think it's way easier to keep your diet in order even after you climb down off the 100% strict Whole 30.

Do you have any recommendations for form and such when doing dead lifts with dumbbells? I lack a bar.

I'm interested too. No bars at home but some heavier dumbells.

I would say make sure your dumbbells track your legs (pull back towards you) all the way up.
I'm interested too. No bars at home but some heavier dumbells.

I hit a milestone today. Stepped on the scale this morning and it was 200lbs. I haven't seen that weight for a long time. Even on he day I was married I was around 205 or so. Feels good to hit the milestone and I have 190 in my sights.

Congrats! Keep up the good work Mike! That 200 lb mark is my first weight loss goal. Funny how before we had kids 200 lb was my "crap I'm completely out of shape", self-loathing weight. Now I haven't been south of 200 in 5+ years (I'm 215 today). So cracking that is gonna feel like breaking the sound barrier.

I'm on my 3rd day of a low-carb diet trying to get rid of all these darn cravings. I've really let go this winter and need to get rid of 20 lbs. I still go to the gym but need to go even more. I'm motivated diet-wise right now but still need a big push to work out more. Two days a week isn't cutting it.

I'm on my third day of a low-carb, no junk-food diet. I keep track of my student's birthdays & hand out a card & a Hershey's Kiss. Today when I opened the container and got a whiff of that chocolate smell I felt like one of the vampires in Twilight. Man that's a tempting smell when I can't have any!

Another day, another 1:15 at the gym. 1/2 mile run as fast as I could go, weights, 1.25 mile run afterwards.

I really need to start some sort of a routine, but at least 4 times to the gym since Sunday is a decent start.

Another day, another 1:15 at the gym. 1/2 mile run as fast as I could go, weights, 1.25 mile run afterwards.

I really need to start some sort of a routine, but at least 4 times to the gym since Sunday is a decent start.

A very good start I would say! Keep it up man. After a couple of weeks youll be amazed at how you feel if you don't go. Just push through it and you will start to see some good results.

I need some good recs for workout music.

What do you guys listen to when you lift?

Depends on the workout. For pure poundage, hard rock / metal. For HIIT, trance / hard house. For pump, hip-hop.

Those radio stations on Spotify/Pandora.

should have clarified. Looking for artists names. Like disturbed or Metallica or whatever. Can't listen to radio stations in the gym. Thanks

If you're doing iTunes or MP3, hit the top 30 tracks for the genre and load them on your listening device.
LBs: POD, Disturbd, Prong, Green Jelly, Linkin Park

HIIT: Infected Mushroom, Amir Hamami, DJ Seduction, Tiësto, Westbam

Pump: Pharell, IAM, One Direction, Beastie Boys, De La Soul

thanks

Yup. :)

Down 22.1 pounds. Now. Lost 3 pounds this week while on the road for work. That is a big accomplishment for me, but I made the healthiest choices I could and worked out everyday except 1

Down 22.1 pounds. Now. Lost 3 pounds this week while on the road for work. That is a big accomplishment for me, but I made the healthiest choices I could and worked out everyday except 1

That is awesome Taylor! You are not going to be recognizable next time everyone sees you.

The best part of losing the weight is how much better your joints feel isn't it? At 40 my knees and the sports I played are catching up to me and the extra weight is felt immediately.

Good job & keep it up.

That is awesome Taylor! You are not going to be recognizable next time everyone sees you.

The best part of losing the weight is how much better your joints feel isn't it? At 40 my knees and the sports I played are catching up to me and the extra weight is felt immediately.

Good job & keep it up.

Ya I am hoping by UST to be down about 35 pounds or so then by KC to be at my goal weight or close to it.

Agreed, you feel so much better. I don't notice I am much skinnier but my clothes are looser and I just feel healthy

2015 Fitness and Weight-loss Thread

2015 Fitness and Weight-loss Thread

Congrats Taylor. Gotta admit when we played in Florida I certainly didn't see 30+pounds you needed to lose.

But great job none the less.

Ya I am hoping by UST to be down about 35 pounds or so then by KC to be at my goal weight or close to it.

Agreed, you feel so much better. I don't notice I am much skinnier but my clothes are looser and I just feel healthy

Great stuff! When you get motivated you get motivated! Which reminds me....the treadmill is awaiting me this morning.....

should have clarified. Looking for artists names. Like disturbed or Metallica or whatever. Can't listen to radio stations in the gym. Thanks

Shame, all it takes is something like Taylor Swift played over and over again to get enraged. You'll work out harder so you can leave faster.

Shame, all it takes is something like Taylor Swift played over and over again to get enraged. You'll work out harder so you can leave faster.
If you can hear the music during you're lift, you ain't lifting heavy enough.

#repsforjesus

I've dropped 7 pounds since Monday - just eating clean. Drinking nothing but water & lots of it. No junk food, no processed food. Replaced the bread in our house with Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted grains bread (very low glycemic index, with most of the "bad" wheat stuff not there) - just eating it sparingly too. Not eating anything after dinner.

Trying to have some good protein, good carbs (veggies mainly) with lots of fiber, and a little fat in each meal/snack.

The surprising thing is how quickly my cravings have gone away. Really after the 3rd day it hasn't been bad.

Now it's time to add some workouts. Feeling better & sleeping better too.

That is awesome Taylor! One of the best feelings was to drill another hole in my belt in order to prevent my pants from sliding.

I have a 40-50 lb. goal that I am hoping to hit by Pittsburgh Invitational.

I am just finding myself wanting to speed up the weight loss process and it just can't happen. The more steady the weight loss, the better for me.

That is awesome Taylor! One of the best feelings was to drill another hole in my belt in order to prevent my pants from sliding.

I have a 40-50 lb. goal that I am hoping to hit by Pittsburgh Invitational.

I am just finding myself wanting to speed up the weight loss process and it just can't happen. The more steady the weight loss, the better for me.

So you're saying by Pittsburgh you're gonna be a lean, mean, fighting machine?

Keep up the good work Aaron!

So you're saying by Pittsburgh you're gonna be a lean, mean, fighting machine?

Keep up the good work Aaron!

Hahaha not sure about the fighting part, but I am looking for the lean part! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back