What Tees Would You Play?

I think it makes perfect sense, actually. I don't mind playing from 6,900 yards or frankly 6,450 but I have zero interest in playing 470 yard par 4s. Creating the member tees could have come from a mixed tee built by the membership (see: tee name) to accommodate a greater range of golfers.

My course has done very much the same, despite there being only a 200-250 yard gap between tees. In many cases it makes a HUGE difference, my course included.

You seem to be basing your opinion of the course on only the longest holes. I like a course that has a good variety between long holes and shorter holes, in other words "half-par" holes. A long par 4 really plays like a par 4.5, but then if there's a shorter par 5 or par 4 to balance it out, it's good by me. The other thing is that I don't think it makes a ton of difference to have tee boxes split by only 10 yards or so, but that's just me.

This is exactly right. I love courses that give multiple options and in this instance they did so to accommodate a large range of golfers built by the membership base for their weekly games.

One of my favorite resort courses in the state has done the same.

I go back and forth on this one. On one hand, I like when courses give you options in terms of tees; one of my dad's home courses has a composite tee on the scorecard between black and blue that is pretty good for my game. On the other hand, I think that multiple tee options are lost on most golfers because they only look at the total yardage at the end of the scorecard and don't consider the yardages of individual holes. So take a look at this scorecard and it would be simpler to just have the blacks at near 6500, the blues at near 6000, then the 2 other sets at 5500 and 5000. Heck, with the course being in Florida, put in a set of tees at 4200-4500 yards as well.

We have a course here that actually looks very similar to that on the scorecard - yardages and difficulty ratings. It's a newer Nicklaus course and (to me) is very difficult considering the length.

I have played it from equivalent yardages to the blues, the whites, and a self made combo of the two. If I'm playing by myself, it'll be from the whites or the combo. If I'm playing with other people there's a chance I play the blues, but I'll probably not be so thrilled with my decision.

You seem to be basing your opinion of the course on only the longest holes. I like a course that has a good variety between long holes and shorter holes, in other words "half-par" holes. A long par 4 really plays like a par 4.5, but then if there's a shorter par 5 or par 4 to balance it out, it's good by me. The other thing is that I don't think it makes a ton of difference to have tee boxes split by only 10 yards or so, but that's just me.

I go back and forth on this one. On one hand, I like when courses give you options in terms of tees; one of my dad's home courses has a composite tee on the scorecard between black and blue that is pretty good for my game. On the other hand, I think that multiple tee options are lost on most golfers because they only look at the total yardage at the end of the scorecard and don't consider the yardages of individual holes. So take a look at this scorecard and it would be simpler to just have the blacks at near 6500, the blues at near 6000, then the 2 other sets at 5500 and 5000. Heck, with the course being in Florida, put in a set of tees at 4200-4500 yards as well.

With more tee options for members, it means golfers can input their handicaps when they are playing split tees.

i'd go member tees. it's just a little shorter than what i typically like to play, but if it's tight with small greens, i think that would be a good yardage. i don't know about you, but if i were to play the 6k tees and end up with a big number, i'd be more frustrated than playing the 6,200 tees. just something about knowing that i couldn't post a decent number from short yardage that would really pi$$ me off.

Probably the blue. I normally shoot for 6200-6400 yards. But if its a tight course, I'd rather tee off with something a little more accurate and have fun than lose balls with the driver.

~Rock

I could play Blues or whites and be alright with it.

Based on my last round? Red tee game was atrocious. Normally I would play from the Blue or the Members tees. I wouldn't say comfortable with the slope rating there but I like a challenge.

Using Tapatalk

Just going off of yardage, I'd play the Blacks, even with the tight fw's and small greens. If I got to play it a 2nd time, I'd play the Members tees.

I'd love to see pics of the par 5's. On the card, they are all reachable in 2. But, I bet that's not the case.

Just going off of yardage, I'd play the Blacks, even with the tight fw's and small greens. If I got to play it a 2nd time, I'd play the Members tees.

I'd love to see pics of the par 5's. On the card, they are all reachable in 2. But, I bet that's not the case.

Based on JB's reply to the comment about the driveable par 4 (in that you would have to carry it all the way) I am going to go back to my comment that there are a lot of forced lay-ups

I would be interested to know the course and see the layouts as well - maybe JB will chime in with the name in due course

Agreed, distance wise they seem very reachable, but if they are island greens or anything you'd have to carry 230 and stop on a small green, I would probably be forced to lay up.

Most Likely the members for me.

Members or Blue would seem to a good play. Depends on how many I could hit Driver and stay in play

Probably the blues

Probably Blue. I've tried white on my home courses and they can be more punishing on drives that a pushed right for me. I have a little more room to keep it in play if I back up a set of tees. I usually score a little better moving back because of one or two less penalties off the tee. If I were going to not be hard headed and play a 3 or 4 iron off the tee, I'd move up to the whites.

I still make enough mis-hits that moving back to the members would probably hurt me on distance and would force me to play some of the par 4's as par 5's.

Depends on who I was playing with. If it was me and some THPers, probably Blues or Members. With my Dad, who I normally golf with. Whites for sure. Would rather enjoy the round as he doesnt hit the ball far at all.

I'd play the black, but I'm a glutton for punishment. I've played a few of the 'shorter', tight tree lined courses in Chicago and they are certainly a challenge for sure! Par 3's and 5's aren't bad and only a few long par 4's. But I'd also want to play where the majority of my group is playing from. I'm not a fan of everyone in a group using different tees. Slows things down a bit for me.

I'd play the blues one round and then go around twice and play the blacks the second time around and compare and take notes..

Blues or members would work for me

I'd play blue or white although once the par 4s get 400+ it's a little long for my game.

Whites, maybe blue. Both of those yardages bracket what I typically play.

This is exactly right. I love courses that give multiple options and in this instance they did so to accommodate a large range of golfers built by the membership base for their weekly games.

One of my favorite resort courses in the state has done the same.

I have a huge respect for courses accommodating membership, and this was done recently at my course between the green tees (6,082) and the golds (6,600). It's a big gap, and the holes they moved people up made a MONSTER difference for quality of results and pace of play. I liked it so much that I made my own set of tees between the tips (6,950) and the gold tees (6,600) to take away four obnoxiously long holes, while keeping me challenged on some of the more technical holes. Means I don't have to play a 240 yard par 3, and I'm down for that!! hah!

Love mixed tees.

Blue all day!

I am absolutely basing my opinion on the long holes and I am sure that's exactly what the membership did as well. If you look at the shorter par 4s on the course they actually share tees with the back tees -- So I'm not altering that experience to make it too easy on myself just as they did not as a membership.

It also turns a 230 yard par 3 into a 208 yard par 3. I'm not on tour, and don't feel the need to play a 230 yard par 3 on a regular basis. 208 is plenty long enough.

Based on JB's reply to the comment about the driveable par 4 (in that you would have to carry it all the way) I am going to go back to my comment that there are a lot of forced lay-ups

I would be interested to know the course and see the layouts as well - maybe JB will chime in with the name in due course

I basing my reply purely on the OP. I hadn't read through the replies until now.

Nothing wrong with forced layouts. The architect makes me play the smart shot off the tee and puts a scoring iron in my hands for the 2nd shot.

I think I know what course it is. :angel::devil:

Back