Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

So basically these irons are awesome. I shot my first sub-par round ever today and it was largely on the back of hitting 15 of 18 greens in regulation.

Here is the deal with these irons. They certainly arent the best feeling I have ever hit. The feel off the face is definitely GI. It's not a bad thing, but the Apex Pro and other players CB feel better.

What makes these different and what matters to me is two things. They just want to go straight. Most irons in this category are great for working the ball, but I just want something point and shoot. I know I could work them if I needed to, but I would rather the ball go high and straight and these bring that to the table in spades. Secondly, they accomplish all of this in an amazing little form factor. Basically, I am getting game improvement performance in players cavity looks. I will happily give up some feel for what else is coming together in this head.

So basically these irons are awesome. I shot my first sub-par round ever today and it was largely on the back of hitting 15 of 18 greens in regulation.

Here is the deal with these irons. They certainly arent the best feeling I have ever hit. The feel off the face is definitely GI. It's not a bad thing, but the Apex Pro and other players CB feel better.

What makes these different and what matters to me is two things. They just want to go straight. Most irons in this category are great for working the ball, but I just want something point and shoot. I know I could work them if I needed to, but I would rather the ball go high and straight and these bring that to the table in spades. Secondly, they accomplish all of this in an amazing little form factor. Basically, I am getting game improvement performance in players cavity looks. I will happily give up some feel for what else is coming together in this head.

yeah none of that sounds like a bad thing. The feel might lose people, but the performance sounds like it should keep them around.

yeah none of that sounds like a bad thing. The feel might lose people, but the performance sounds like it should keep them around.

Part of the feel could be mitigated by playing a lower compression ball. The first ball I grabbed out of my bag today was a Nike RZN Black and its not high on the pillow off the face factor. Play these with a Chrome Soft and you get some of the feel back.

Part of the feel could be mitigated by playing a lower compression ball. The first ball I grabbed out of my bag today was a Nike RZN Black and its not high on the pillow off the face factor. Play these with a Chrome Soft and you get some of the feel back.

yup, one of the only balls left on the market with compression over 100. So definitely can be a factor.

Can you explain the bolded a little bit more for me?

Can you explain the bolded a little bit more for me?

Anything high on the face or towards the toe does have a hollow cast feel, best way I can explain it. A bit heavy and hollow. Nothing major, just not what I am used to coming from my last two sets which were forged PC type irons.

WHat would say you are seeing in terms of distance loss when hitting away from center?
Anything high on the face or towards the toe does have a hollow cast feel, best way I can explain it. A bit heavy and hollow. Nothing major, just not what I am used to coming from my last two sets which were forged PC type irons.

WHat would say you are seeing in terms of distance loss when hitting away from center?

Minimal. It's why I dont care about the feel. Maybe 5-7 yards on a bad toe shot? Seriously, I am not seeing any real loss in distance on off-center hits. Now my off center is a bit tighter then some but they still do what you want.

my XR pro's are in Export Jail in Kentucky, how the heck do they make it across the border from Mexico then are held up in Kentucky

Minimal Panda.

Go hit them. Seriously.

Not much different than any other quality club, you will lose distance if you don't hit it pure. I'm not sure what some of the other guys are talking about. Maybe they are speaking of ball strikes which are a fraction off but still get distance, but that's true with most clubs. I hit a couple hundred balls with these, the only thing I can say for anybody who wants new irons, go hit them yourself, don't rely on posters. Some clubs feel incredible to some and the same clubs feel awful to others. Go hit them and enjoy the experience! Watch out for fan boys too, every brand has em. :angel:

I am new to this forum. A search on the XR Pros brought be here. I am probably a 9 handicap these days and play forged Hogen Edge Pros. I absolutely love my irons, but these have me really intrigued. Who doesn't like more distance with increased forgioveness?? I usually hit my 8 iron 150 yds and my 5 iron 180 yards or so.

Not much different than any other quality club, you will lose distance if you don't hit it pure. I'm not sure what some of the other guys are talking about. Maybe they are speaking of ball strikes which are a fraction off but still get distance, but that's true with most clubs. I hit a couple hundred balls with these, the only thing I can say for anybody who wants new irons, go hit them yourself, don't rely on posters. Some clubs feel incredible to some and the same clubs feel awful to others. Go hit them and enjoy the experience! Watch out for fan boys too, every brand has em. :angel:

I think just as any club it is important to hit this with a properly fitted shaft. I actually really disliked this club with the stock shaft. Had worse numbers then my apex pros. It was six yards short of my apex pro ust recoil combo and felt hard. I then tried it with five or six shafts till I stumbled upon the kbs caper lites. I think plinyyounger could significant improvements with a shaft other than the stock in that head.

I think just as any club it is important to hit this with a properly fitted shaft. I actually really disliked this club with the stock shaft. Had worse numbers then my apex pros. It was six yards short of my apex pro ust recoil combo and felt hard. I then tried it with five or six shafts till I stumbled upon the kbs caper lites. I think plinyyounger could significant improvements with a shaft other than the stock in that head.

You may be correct about the shaft. I'm not hating these clubs, not in the least, I just want to provide another view other than the lovers. I stand behind my opinion I wrote in an earlier post as well as my commitment to have folks actually go out and hit them prior to buying.

I don't think anyone would advocate buying a set of clubs without hitting them.

As for fan boys, it's unfortunate you can't support a company without it being perceived as blind faith.

I don't think anyone would advocate buying a set of clubs without hitting them.

As for fan boys, it's unfortunate you can't support a company without it being perceived as blind faith.
I am 1000 percent a fan boy of tech that works. In these, the tech works. Numbers/Data doesn't lie.

It's with great excitement that I get to share in the XR Pro iron experience with everyone. Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd carry my review photos and thoughts in this one, as it's been thriving over the last few weeks. My expectations are very high, as I have already hit the XR Pros both on monitor and on course, however I have yet to hit them with the Tour V 90 shaft combination. As I continue to pursue a lighter iron shaft, this has me optimistic and excited about the combination.

The set that has arrived for review is 4-PW, however Callaway offers a variety of set options.

Here are some of the primary features that Callaway is excited about with regards to the XR Pro Irons:

Cup 360 - For the first time ever, we’re putting cup-faced technology into a player’s iron. Our Cup 360 provides outrageous ball speed all across the face.

cup-360.jpg

Lower CG, More MOI and Ball Speed - The Internal Standing Wave is the ultimate team player. It’s refined the way that we lower CG, increased MOI and gives the face cup the freedom to provide more ball speed.

lower-cg.jpg

New Construction And Refined Shaping - A player’s iron needs a different level of refinement and attention, in this case a 2-piece construction that includes a dual heat treatment. The head shape is more compact, with a thinner topline and narrower sole width.

new-construction.jpg

In Hand Photos

20150328_140859-L.jpg

20150328_141509-L.jpg

20150328_141539-L.jpg

20150328_141627-L.jpg

20150328_141031-L.jpg

20150328_141144-L.jpg

20150328_141159-L.jpg

20150328_141207-L.jpg

20150328_141733-L.jpg

20150328_140725-L.jpg

20150328_141115-L.jpg

20150328_141232-L.jpg

20150328_141300-L.jpg

Oh. Dan has a set. Ball speed and carry for dddaaaaayyyyyyssssssssss

Nice Dan! You will see first hand these irons are long!!! Here comes 200yd 7 iron canadan bombs!

Love it.

Dan, looking forward to comparing notes brother

On course numbers were about right for me when I used AMart's although he's got a unique head/shaft combination.

I'm looking forward to what kind of numbers are going to be produced with the Tour V 90 shafts.

How many of you knuckleheads went with a 3i? Am I the only one?

Back