Strongest era in Golf

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
The greatest golfer thread got me thinking about which era is the strongest in Golf. Era might be tough to quantify so I'm open to suggestion that differ from mine.
  • Hogan
  • Palmer
  • Nicholas
  • Watson
  • Norman
  • Woods
  • McIlroy
Some may over lap but I think we have them all covered. Which era would you say is historically the deepest and most challenging for golfers to win?

I think it's a little early to call something the rory era, but the game is ever getting stronger. Technology, video, etc is enabling players to be better and more frequently. The equipment is so much better than it used to be.

iPad tapping!

McIlroy era, many, many young players who are REALLY good.

Whatever era is happening right now.

Honestly, I just don't know enough about past eras to give a semi-educated response. I'll be interested to hear some thoughts though.

I don't know if you'd call it the McIlroy era just yet....but eventually. I'd say the current era has to stack up there with any of them. The depth of the fields are amazing. Any of the top 50 or 60 guys in the world right now could just go on a roll and it wouldn't surprise anyone. That is what makes me think that we'll never see someone win as many majors as Nicklaus did. The fields are just too deep now. Back when Nicklaus did it there weren't nearly as many guys who could win the majors as there are now.

Look how many different guys have won the last 15 or so majors. I think that goes to show the competition that is out there right now

I think it's a little early to call something the rory era, but the game is ever getting stronger. Technology, video, etc is enabling players to be better and more frequently. The equipment is so much better than it used to be.

iPad tapping!

I think he meant the newer era by Rory era but we get the gist.

I think it's right now. There's so many great players out there now.

I think he meant the newer era by Rory era but we get the gist.
no I meant what I wrote. I give rory the nod for his own era because I think he will have a bigger impact than any other golfer since woods.

Look how many different guys have won the last 15 or so majors. I think that goes to show the competition that is out there right now
true but anyone can get hot for a weekend. A lot of those winners haven't done much since.

I don't know if you'd call it the McIlroy era just yet....but eventually. I'd say the current era has to stack up there with any of them. The depth of the fields are amazing. Any of the top 50 or 60 guys in the world right now could just go on a roll and it wouldn't surprise anyone. That is what makes me think that we'll never see someone win as many majors as Nicklaus did. The fields are just too deep now. Back when Nicklaus did it there weren't nearly as many guys who could win the majors as there are now.

Whatever era is happening right now.
Mcilroy era

iPad tapping!
so what era is the strongest?

I can't help but think there's an era coming that combines the massive swath of young gamers we have in the game now with a giant influx of Asian golfers akin to what's happening on the LPGA circuit

I agree with you here. I think the Rory era means current era (he is #1).
Would it surrise anybody if any of these guys went on a roll?

Paddy Harrington
Alvaro Quiros
Goosen
Ben Crane
Ryo
Overton
MAJ
Mark Wilson
Kevin Na
Saboweenie
Gary Woodland
Tommy Gainey

These are just a few names and all are outside the top 50 and quite a few are outside the top 100.

I would think the Palmer era because I look at who was playing at the start of it and who came in to play at the end of it. In my opinion as an era the one were in now is a little weak. I think the equipment and coaching and trainers and lack of real personalities has turned the game into a cookie cutter and monotone sport it's all parity now. I miss Chi-Chi and Trevino

Solid list JB. I would be surprised to see Tommy Gainey go on a run though.

A run maybe? But I would not be shocked to see him here or there. And he is well outside the top 100.

A run maybe? But I would not be shocked to see him here or there. And he is well outside the top 100.
For sure. If he were to contend in a couple majors in the next year or so I don't think anyone would be surprised. Hell he fits the bill perfectly for a PGA Championship title! Rich Beem anyone?

I agree with the current era. Just looking at the last Ryder and Presidents cup teams, I think many of those players could have been dominate in past eras.

I think the fields are deeper today than they have ever been, but its always tough to compare era to era. Before Tiger golfers didn't work out or anything like they do today....everyone is playing equipment that is optimized to them down to the last tenth and it's more of a world wide game than in era's past.

Or, you could look at it as players are satisfied with making a living. That's what I think about the big money era we are in now. I don't think it is because the competition is more fierce than it was in previous times, I think when someone can finish in the top 100 of the money list and still make a million bucks, there's no real incentive to try to be dominant.

There are exceptions, but for the most part, I think guys are happy to make a paycheck. Grab a top 10 here or there, maybe a top 5, squeak out a win once in a while. Big money.

I think the fields are deeper today than they have ever been, but its always tough to compare era to era. Before Tiger golfers didn't work out or anything like they do today....everyone is playing equipment that is optimized to them down to the last tenth and it's more of a world wide game than in era's past.

I'd agree with this. It's a different ball game now and there were guys in the past that were doing incredible things with far inferior equipment. Not a lot of them though.

Now. No debate.

Or, you could look at it as players are satisfied with making a living. That's what I think about the big money era we are in now. I don't think it is because the competition is more fierce than it was in previous times, I think when someone can finish in the top 100 of the money list and still make a million bucks, there's no real incentive to try to be dominant.

There are exceptions, but for the most part, I think guys are happy to make a paycheck. Grab a top 10 here or there, maybe a top 5, squeak out a win once in a while. Big money.

Its getting harder and harder to be that guy though Smalls. There are 250 guys every year that could compete on tour and if you set it on cruise control, you lose your card.

This era. I mean, Let's just look at the names of the young, up and coming guys that still have 10+ years of their prime still to come that won this year:

-Brandt Snedeker
-Kyle Stanley
-Bill Haas
-John Huh
-Rory McIlroy
-Rickie Fowler
-Dustin Johnson
-Webb Simpson
-Ted Potter Jr.
-Scott Stallings
-Keegan Bradley
-Jason Day
-Nick Watney
-Jonas Blixt
-Ryan Moore

Pretty good list of guys right there....and they were the ones that won this year. I'm not even counting the guys who contened, such as Ryo, Colsaerts, Cauley, Noh, Overton, English, and Kirk. The list goes on.

For me it was the early 60's. Palmer, Nicholas, Hogan, Chi chi, Venturi, Player and others didn't make millions of $ on endorsements. For the most part if you won, you were successful. They were also pretty colorful characters for the times playing pretty normal equipment.

1950-1970

The names that come out of this range that are legendary is amazing.

The current era could be better but you can't tell yet.

For example I think Bubba gonna be a one timer... not exactly legendary material IMO.

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Back