What behind the scenes stuff do you want to know most?

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Like the title says, what kind of behind the scenes of the golf industry stuff is most interesting to you? Do you want to know how clubs are made, how clubs are marketed, how people's roles are defined, etc? What are you most curious about when it comes to how the industry works.

I've always been interested in how equipment is tested and iterated on, both in the lab and by players.

I'd be interested about the fitters on tour and how much work they actual do following the golfers around. I know, it's not quit what was asked, but with the changes that they they do and feedback from the golfers go back to R&D to improve something.

How do they determine the cost factor? Is it based off what the competitors are pricing their top of the line products, etc.?

how far in advanced companies are working on product launches.

How long does it take from creating the mold to manufacturing of the club is complete?

how far in advanced companies are working on product launches.
This. Though we'll probably never get a straight answer for a variety reasons, I'd love to know how many clubs are already designed but are simply waiting their turn to be released.

I'd like to know how much of a difference there is in the equipment the pros play vs consumers. I'd be curious to know if that gap is closing

I'd like to know how much of a difference there is in the equipment the pros play vs consumers. I'd be curious to know if that gap is closing
Several companies like Nike and Srixon have come right out and said it's the exact same equipment.

I'd like to know more about the R&D behind new clubs. How do they start on a new product?

I'd be interested about the fitters on tour and how much work they actual do following the golfers around. I know, it's not quit what was asked, but with the changes that they they do and feedback from the golfers go back to R&D to improve something.
^^This. I loved the Taylormade mini series and would love to see more.

I'd like to learn more about the relationship between club companies and shaft companies. How are 'stock' shafts chosen?

R&D

How many prototypes are tested before hitting retail of a club.
Are new clubs better than their predecessor and why?

Marketing tells us so but lets see the statistics, rather than saying this club is X times farther.

1. How far into the future are product lines "worked on"
2. Info on theTesting process-On tour, amateurs and robots

I'd like to learn more about the relationship between club companies and shaft companies. How are 'stock' shafts chosen?

You were at #theGrandaddy didnt they answer that one for you? I can get that done either way, but online people dont want the answer. They want to say its cheap and inferior. :D

I'd like to see pics and information about equipment that didn't get released like prototypes and things like that.

Id also like to see how they pair a Shaft with an iron head or metal wood, how do they find the best fit for standard offerings?

I'd like to know if companies hold back technology they know is better to increase certain products life cycles or if what is out is truly the best at the time of release.

You were at #theGrandaddy didnt they answer that one for you? I can get that done either way, but online people dont want the answer. They want to say its cheap and inferior. :D

Haha I asked the question and got a fantastic answer. I'm interested to see if other companies are taking the same 'value add' approach when it comes to shafts

Also interested in it from the shaft companies' perspectives. How do they get involved and market their shafts to club companies?

Haha I asked the question and got a fantastic answer. I'm interested to see if other companies are taking the same 'value add' approach when it comes to shafts
I asked this at the Adams event as well, and got a straight forward answer. They pick the shaft that gives the ideal launch for the segment they're targeting.

Production and testing processes.
What's coming.

How many iterations/tweaks does a product typically undergo before its brought to market.

Also, fulfillment of custom orders. Would be fun to see who's assembling and customizing and what their job is like. Especailly with things like stamping and paintfill.

How much influence do they get/use from tour players on the more game improvement and super game improvement clubs.

Would like to know about the science behind the design process. I assume there is some significant engineering and physics that goes into predicting the behavior of the golf ball off a club face. I can't believe TM said "Let's put slots into the face and heel of the club only because it'll look cool."

Last edited:
Back