Contest Threads - Not What They Seem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for feedback here. It appears a lot of people are posting contest threads for merchandise in which the sole goal is not to inform about the contest, but instead to get you to click their link and signup because they get bonus entries.

Due to the fact that the goal is to obtain info (by the companies) and sell a good (in this instance, the link so they have a better chance to win), its not a lot different than SPAM by definition.

But I wanted to put it out there to the community because more and more of these are popping up and it has become a daily thing almost with new threads that contain no information other than click here.

What are your thoughts?

I don't mind supporting someone by clicking a link but I think these should be like the deal of the day (assuming the poster shares what they are doing). Keep one thread running to avoid so many contest threads.

Looking for feedback here. It appears a lot of people are posting contest threads for merchandise in which the sole goal is not to inform about the contest, but instead to get you to click their link and signup because they get bonus entries.

Due to the fact that the goal is to obtain info (by the companies) and sell a good (in this instance, the link so they have a better chance to win), its not a lot different than SPAM by definition.

But I wanted to put it out there to the community because more and more of these are popping up and it has become a daily thing almost with new threads that contain no information other than click here.

What are your thoughts?
I think it is fine if it is disclosed. I feel if someone wants to post one that way they should also provide the link to the main contest for people as well. Just in case someone doesn't want to provide the extra entry for the thread starter.

Could also do sort of a latter starts with the thread starter they get the next to enter then the second person posts their link and so on down the line

Maybe a single thread for all of them?

Personally, I don't bother entering, so I'd have zero issues with them disappearing for good.

I think links without disclosure that add chances to someone are no good. If someone does as DawgDaddy does and just posts the generic link to the contest that seems cool.

I would be on board with one dedicated thread, but it doesn't bother me a ton TBH.

One thing for sure. If you enter these contests, you will get a lot of spam. For many of these, I get emails announcing the contest and have usually already entered if I was interested. I rarely click on the link, but often thank the poster anyway. For the most part, I've stopped posting the contests myself, unless it seems really special.

I agree that posting a link where the poster gets extra entries for you clicking on that link should be disclosed. To my knowledge, all that I have started have just had generic links that don't provide any benefit to me.

I don't really enter very many contests because of the personal info you have to fork over, but when I do click on a link I have no idea if I'm supporting someone or not. I think a heads up that clicking will support that person would be a good idea, just in the interest of full disclosure.

Contest of the day thread? that way it doesn't clutter it up when you post new THP contests.

I only post contests seldom, but when I do I usually try to post a non-bonus-entry link, and give a brief descriptor of the contest.

As long as the poster discloses that he or she gets extra entries if the link is clicked then I have no issue at all with it. I think a sticky thread would be a good idea. That way the feed doesn't get cluttered and it also makes is easier to find the giveaways.

I have always assumed good intent on the part of the poster, that they were primarily interested in sharing the contest with the community. So I haven't really given much thought to them getting extra entries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 thread is the way to go.

cause when a guy goes signup crazy you can see all of those 1 by 1 listed as the recent 10 threads posted into, which is annoying

I don't mind supporting someone by clicking a link but I think these should be like the deal of the day (assuming the poster shares what they are doing). Keep one thread running to avoid so many contest threads.
Ditto! And as long as they divulge that they get an entry if you click.

Totally agree with the spam comment and I get most of the emails with the same contests that are posted, so if they were to go away I wouldn't be heartbroken.

I am with the general consensus here in that I think 1 thread for all of them would be nice.

As far as getting someone to click the link so you get extra entries ... is it possible that people just copy/paste the link from the top of the browser and don't realize it's directly benefiting them, as opposed to giving everyone a straight 1 to 1 chance? Benefit of the doubt and all that.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another how the ruling on this goes, though to be honest ... if that forum was relegated to THP contests I'd be fine with it. I probably miss a good portion of contests because I don't go in there very often as I get notification of many of these contests in my email inbox already.

Agree with cookie. I will help most anybody but it should be disclosed if that is the case.

Also agree on having them all in 1 thread.

How about a sticky thread for outside contests? I feel like I miss plenty because they're all over the place.

I think there should be one thread for non thp contests, similar to the deal of the day thread

As far as getting someone to click the link so you get extra entries ... is it possible that people just copy/paste the link from the top of the browser and don't realize it's directly benefiting them, as opposed to giving everyone a straight 1 to 1 chance? Benefit of the doubt and all that.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another how the ruling on this goes, though to be honest ... if that forum was relegated to THP contests I'd be fine with it. I probably miss a good portion of contests because I don't go in there very often as I get notification of many of these contests in my email inbox already.
Normally it is a specific link that appears on your screen after you submit a contest entry. The page tells you to share that specific link to get extra entries everytime someone uses that link. Copying and pasting from the browser address line will just give someone a link to go to that page to enter and should not provide any extra entries.

I can't stand them to be honest. One thread as the catch all would be better IMO.

People should say that they are getting extra entries if they supply a link to click on if that is the setup.

We already have a dedicated subforum for contests, I don't see the need to compress all of them into one thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back