I currently have my 5 year old son with me two nights a week, typically on Wednesday nights and Friday nights. Since my wife and the movers are coming today, I had him last night instead of tonight. Today is his last day at the preschool that he's been going to for 3 years, and they're moving into a new apartment from the temporary conditions of staying with her parents.

Normally he's pretty well behaved when he's with me, as I actually enforce consistent discipline. Last night he started acting out a little during dinner. I was fairly emotional to begin with, and started to get upset, but backed down after thinking about how the situation was impacting him. I asked him some questions, and eventually found out that he was scared he was going to miss me. He didn't understand that we are still going to see each other.

I told him to come over and sit with me on the couch, and I reassured him that I would still be picking him up from his new school and having our sleepovers every week. And that we would still go to the "cheeseburger store" (which is what he calls McDonalds). After that I was kind of starting to cry a little bit, and he turned around and asked why I was sad. I said it was because I was scared that I would miss him too. He gave me a giant hug and started to cry too. To break that up and lighten the mood, I started tickling him. For the rest of the night he was so sweet. Lots of hugs and horseplay, and constantly telling each other how much we love each other. The first words out of his mouth this morning when I woke him up for school were "I love you Daddy".

I'm a wreck.

Good dad. Good son. Thanks for sharing.

I currently have my 5 year old son with me two nights a week, typically on Wednesday nights and Friday nights. Since my wife and the movers are coming today, I had him last night instead of tonight. Today is his last day at the preschool that he's been going to for 3 years, and they're moving into a new apartment from the temporary conditions of staying with her parents.

Normally he's pretty well behaved when he's with me, as I actually enforce consistent discipline. Last night he started acting out a little during dinner. I was fairly emotional to begin with, and started to get upset, but backed down after thinking about how the situation was impacting him. I asked him some questions, and eventually found out that he was scared he was going to miss me. He didn't understand that we are still going to see each other.

I told him to come over and sit with me on the couch, and I reassured him that I would still be picking him up from his new school and having our sleepovers every week. And that we would still go to the "cheeseburger store" (which is what he calls McDonalds). After that I was kind of starting to cry a little bit, and he turned around and asked why I was sad. I said it was because I was scared that I would miss him too. He gave me a giant hug and started to cry too. To break that up and lighten the mood, I started tickling him. For the rest of the night he was so sweet. Lots of hugs and horseplay, and constantly telling each other how much we love each other. The first words out of his mouth this morning when I woke him up for school were "I love you Daddy".

I'm a wreck.
Wow man hang in there, you are being an awesome dad to your son!! Keep it up.

I'm a wreck.
Hang in there buddy, I know it can't be easy. The important thing is that you are still in his life and that he will have a father growing up. Sounds like you have a good kiddo there.

To lighten to mood I asked my 5 year old daughter last night if she was excited about going back to San Diego this summer. After getting a big "Yes!!" I asked if she wanted to go back to Legoland. After getting yet one more "Yes!", I asked if she wanted to go back and ride the roller coaster that we all rode together last summer. She paused and says, "Is that the one that made me feel like I was going pee-pee in my pants?"

I then got a resounding, "Yes!"

Not gonna lie shark I'm trying my hardest not to tear up here.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Wow Shark, I am sorry. Don't have words, but I am actually glad that you guys talked about it. I am sure this isnt easy for either one of you, but glad you both have shared your feelings.

This made me tear up a bit

Thank you for sharing that Shark. It is really heartbreaking but you are doing the right thing and being a good father. That's all you can do man. Just hang in there.

I'm a wreck.

You're an awesome dad. Sorry to hear about what you're going through, but coming from a kid, this is awesome. There needs to be more dads like you in the world.

Thanks guys, the encouragement means a lot.

Hang in there Shark...I can't even imagine what you're going through. I've got an almost 5 year old and couldn't imagine not getting the hugs almost everyday.

It's tough being a dad, especially in your situation. I went thru what you son is going thru now and I can say you handled it perfectly. Your a great dad, keep your chin up and things will work out. I am glad you guys could understand each other and express the amount of love you have for each other. It really goes a long ways!

Shark, I'm sure this is the hardest thing to go through. Based on the raw emotions and how passionate you are about being a good dad you will work this out. The world needs more good men like you. Thanks for sharing buddy

Thats awesome Hawk, cant wait to make those kinds of memories....

One piece of advice - WRITE IT DOWN when it happens! If you can't get video of it, write it down. You'll never remember all the funny stuff each kid said/did later on.

For example: My wife's grandmother passed away at 98 on Monday. Her cousin has 4-yearold twin girls, and he & his wife must've been telling them that great-grandma was in heaven now, because when they got to the funeral home for calling hours, they asked their parents "Is this heaven?" 'cuz they had been told they were going to see G.G.

If it was me, I would've had to use a line from Field of Dreams: "No. this is Iowa."

Kids rule sometimes.

I've been wearing UA compression shirts under my polos when I play because it's cold here. Today, my boy goes to get dressed before school and comes out with a (severely mismatched) short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve shirt.

"Dad, I'm wearing my golfing shirt just like you!"

Kids rule sometimes.

I've been wearing UA compression shirts under my polos when I play because it's cold here. Today, my boy goes to get dressed before school and comes out with a (severely mismatched) short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve shirt.

"Dad, I'm wearing my golfing shirt just like you!"
That's awesome, that starts the day off right for sure!

I'm a wreck.

I started to tear up a bit reading this, Shark! I wish you and your son the best!

You're in a tough situation. I have a five year old son, so I can't imagine having to go through what you are. Stay strong.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

The wife and I forgot to take care of the tooth fairy responsibilities last night. Oops! Tooth fairy excuses and explanations are underway.

So I wake up today to my wife handing me my son who's been up for like an hour, he woke up crying, pulling at his ears and when I held him he was on fire. So we call the nurse line to get a doctors appt lined up once they open. We think we're done, nope, my daughter wakes up with her eye stuck shut, she has almost snot coming out of it and it's bright pink, I say yep, she's got pink eye. So we call the doctor once they open to make the appt a double, I have to cancel my morning tee time, we take the kids to the doc and yep my daughter has pink eye, but nothing wrong with my son, probably just a virus. Weird how life hands you lemons sometimes, then you just make lemonade. We will be skipping church tomorrow with the kids ailments, so I'll be heading out for a rare sunday morning round!

So I wake up today to my wife handing me my son who's been up for like an hour, he woke up crying, pulling at his ears and when I held him he was on fire. So we call the nurse line to get a doctors appt lined up once they open. We think we're done, nope, my daughter wakes up with her eye stuck shut, she has almost snot coming out of it and it's bright pink, I say yep, she's got pink eye. So we call the doctor once they open to make the appt a double, I have to cancel my morning tee time, we take the kids to the doc and yep my daughter has pink eye, but nothing wrong with my son, probably just a virus. Weird how life hands you lemons sometimes, then you just make lemonade. We will be skipping church tomorrow with the kids ailments, so I'll be heading out for a rare sunday morning round!

Yup, everyday is full of surprises. take care.

The wife was at DefCom five so we are having an impromptu date night. No idea what to do, may have to go with The No Plan Plan (explanation provided upon request). The kids have been a bit of a handful today so I bought cheap doughnuts as a bribe - they get them tomorrow for breakfast if the sitter gives us a favorable report when we get home. Fingers are crossed.

Childcare is maybe the most stressful thing that I deal with regularly. Nothing is ever just ok it seems :D

The place that we've taken the boy since he was tiny, and now the place that him and his sister both go has notified us that they will likely be closing in a couple months because they owners of their building have other plans for it. Really throws us in a pickle. Especially with the boy, since he's already a nervous nelly about going there every day with people he knows and loves.

Drinking might make this better.

Childcare is maybe the most stressful thing that I deal with regularly. Nothing is ever just ok it seems :D

The place that we've taken the boy since he was tiny, and now the place that him and his sister both go has notified us that they will likely be closing in a couple months because they owners of their building have other plans for it. Really throws us in a pickle. Especially with the boy, since he's already a nervous nelly about going there every day with people he knows and loves.

Drinking might make this better.

Oh No! That is terrible man. I dont know what we would do. I am sure it will work out though. It always seems to.

My daughter got her first tooth. I dont want her to grow up :(

Drinking will make this better.

Sorry to hear that Hawk. BTW, FIFY.

Yea, It's going to be interesting. I don't know why childcare is so stressful, but it just is. May just find a true pre-school program for the boy. Stupid life getting in the way of my sanity.

My daughter got her first tooth. I dont want her to grow up :(

Cute!

Back