How to hit Irons Farther.

polarisdude94

golf junky
Reaction score
Handicap
How can I hit my irons farther? I'm 16 and I hit my 8 iron 150. Is this normal or above or below average? What can I do to hit the ball further? Just wait till I get bigger? Lift more weights? I already lift now, but not real extreme. What are some good exercises and lifts for golf?

How can I hit my irons farther? I'm 16 and I hit my 8 iron 150. Is this normal or above or below average? What can I do to hit the ball further? Just wait till I get bigger? Lift more weights? I already lift now, but not real extreme. What are some good exercises and lifts for golf?

Plyometrics, yoga, core strength training. Lessons help too. It'd not about super strength, it's about athleticism(ie bubba Watson)

But a 150 8iron isn't bad at all. I'm 21, 6'1", 190, and hit my 8i 165-180 depending on the day.

Sheesh I'm 6'3 190 and struggle to get my 7 iron 150! But then again my swing I outta whack

I'd say it's perfectly fine. I'm 21, 6'2'', 245, and my 8 iron is 170-177, but I have a fast swing speed. When I was 16 though, I hit my 8 iron about 140-150. The more you play, the longer you'll get, just don't try to hit farther. It will come.

it's all in the timing! Concentrate on staying in synch with good tempo and plenty of lag and it will come. My 8 iron yardage is 165 with x flex shafts. I can get much more than that out of Stiff but then I lose the control. I grew up in a club that had no junior section so I had to play against the seniors. As a result I developed a very wide arc to try and keep up - I used to hit my PW 145-150!! When I'm working on my irons I try to ensure I never go more than 80% at the ball and keep good balance and control of flight.

Before you get too worried about distance, look at Luke Donald. Pure irons with much less distance than the flashy guys and a flat out mind blowing short game. Spend more than 50% of your time practicing your short game and your scores will tumble enough to give you patience for the yardage to come!

Good luck.

Size and strength really has little to do with it. I played last summer with one of the best junior golfers in the city here, he didn't hit driver as far as I hit 3 wood but his 5 iron shots into the green on those holes were closer to the pin than my 8 iron shots. He shot in the high 60s that day and beat me by about 10 strokes. I am 6-3 and 210 and hit 8 iron 165 with a normal full controlled swing.

I'd agree with the majority of responses saying worry less about distance and more about short game and putting to lower your scores. But the question wasn't about lowering your scores, it was about distance. Pick up a Tour Striker. With practice it will train you to get into the proper hands forward ball striking position. I've said it in the TS thread, and I'll say it here, I still struggle with getting the TS Pro 7i in the air, but I'm seeing great gains in my regular irons.

pd84, I would recommend finding a good instructor and letting him know what you want. They hear it all of the time, and will help you with distance and accuracy so the added distance will translate to lower scores.

Wrong question, you should be concerned on hitting the irons well. Control is far more important than distance. 150 for an eight is fine if you can control that 150.

Plyometrics, yoga, core strength training. Lessons help too. It'd not about super strength, it's about athleticism(ie bubba Watson)

But a 150 8iron isn't bad at all. I'm 21, 6'1", 190, and hit my 8i 165-180 depending on the day.

What are some good plyometric exercises? I have heard that they are really good. I hit all my clubs a controlled distance. I think I have enough lag in my swing. Because when I try to lag it more I get out of sync and lose distance.

What are some good plyometric exercises? I have heard that they are really good. I hit all my clubs a controlled distance. I think I have enough lag in my swing. Because when I try to lag it more I get out of sync and lose distance.

Just YouTube it. There's too many! :)

I'm going to crawl under a rock...I can't hit my 8 anywhere close to 150.

I'm going to crawl under a rock...I can't hit my 8 anywhere close to 150.

Don't worry. I used to hit my 6 iron 150 a few years ago. Just picked up another clubs length after I had a lesson with the pro where I caddy.

It's all about club lag and head speed. Obviously different lofts also. I only hit my 8i about 160 comfy and I have a 98-100 MPH 6i SS. Accuracy is what counts. I use "traditional" lofted clubs though.

It's all about club lag and head speed. Obviously different lofts also. I only hit my 8i about 160 comfy and I have a 98-100 MPH 6i SS. Accuracy is what counts. I use "traditional" lofted clubs though.

98-100mph SS with a 6i? Isn't all SS's the same for all clubs? What is your SS with the driver? can you explain also what you mean by "traditional" lofted clubs?

Sorry for all the questions but you got my attention with hitting your 8i so well.

I also use traditionally lofted clubs. 47* PW.

98-100mph SS with a 6i? Isn't all SS's the same for all clubs? What is your SS with the driver? can you explain also what you mean by "traditional" lofted clubs?

Sorry for all the questions but you got my attention with hitting your 8i so well.

Swing speed gets slower as the clubs get shorter in your bag (generalization).
many of todays irons are stronger lofted than that of those a few years back. PW are 44 and 45* instead of 47 and 48*.

Damn.. Whats wrong with 150yards with a 8 iron?

sometimes i feel that people are to obsessed with long shots.

No generally the shorter the club the slower the SS,

Swing speed gets slower as the clubs get shorter in your bag (generalization).
many of todays irons are stronger lofted than that of those a few years back. PW are 44 and 45* instead of 47 and 48*.

No generally the shorter the club the slower the SS,

Thanks for the info...

Damn.. Whats wrong with 150yards with a 8 iron?

sometimes i feel that people are to obsessed with long shots.

I'd be very happy to hit my 8i 150yds...That's distance is currently my 6i.

I'd be very happy to hit my 8i 150yds...That's distance is currently my 6i.

I think as long as you hit a rather straight shot it's all good. Dont think about the lenght of the shot initially. As someone said earlier in this thread. The lenght will come.

Enjoy the game instead of worrying about how far you can hit the ball.

I think as long as you hit a rather straight shot it's all good. Dont think about the lenght of the shot initially. As someone said earlier in this thread. The lenght will come.

Enjoy the game instead of worrying about how far you can hit the ball.

I've seen that part come true. I've started to hit the ball a bit further now than the last year that I played (2009 due to knee surgery) but it's a tad disappointing when my friend hits a crappy low shot but gets so much roll that he almost matches my distance. Though the final score I end up winning big time :D

Sorry to threadjack Polarisdude94. This will sound funny for a young guy like you but two years ago I was doing yoga with the gf Sunday mornings and noticed all my golf shots and soft ball swings were launching much longer due to all the core work. Easily carrying another 10-15 yds for golf and not sure on the distance of the softball but I was hitting the fences much more often.

I'll be 56 tomorrow. Early last year my swing speed was 78 mph. Now it's around 106 mph. I didn't hit the gym or anything like that. I took some lessons and worked on my golf swing in the off season.

Back