Are Golfers too Obsessed with Looks?

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I am talking about clubs here, not clothes. Lets be honest, as a whole, golfers long for thin top lines, small clubheads and traditional head-shapes. This leads some to go with clubs that may not be best for them. Have any of you ruled out a club because it was just ugly? Even if it would improve your game?

I play Cleveland HB3's. So toplines mean nothing to me.

However, the Cleveland VAS irons were far too ugly for me to consider.

So yes. And no.

Those Vas irons were absolutely atrocious!
I play Cleveland HB3's. So toplines mean nothing to me.

However, the Cleveland VAS irons were far too ugly for me to consider.

So yes. And no.

if i dont like the looks of it i wont play it period, confidence over the ball is a HUGE part of this game and if i have a club in my hand that i think is ugly as all hell then i know i wont hit it good.

I would not care what my clubs looked like if my scores were dropping and they helped my game to become more consistent. I feel sorrow for the ones who have to game players irons because that makes them feel more like an accomplished golfer. I have heard some say they buy the players clubs so they can grow into them or that they help them to focus better on their ball striking. More power to them if this really works but my opinion is for golfers to use the technology that helps you play the best you can possibly play. If playing shovels with thick top lines improves your ball striking, you got to go with the percentages.

I think this arguement can go the way of "players clubs", or go the way of "all one brand".

IMO i think its rare that one company offers clubs that is the BEST in each category for ones game. So yes, I think golfers do get caught up in looks sometimes. But I also think people who play blades get blasted way too much for it. Directly or indirectly.

if i dont like the looks of it i wont play it period, confidence over the ball is a HUGE part of this game and if i have a club in my hand that i think is ugly as all hell then i know i wont hit it good.

I don't understand this logic but I'm sure it is true for your game. For me, I don't care what a club looks like, if I hit one club better than any other I will play it all day long. I've never really understood why thin top lines are better looking than a thick top lines, or anything else.

I think this arguement can go the way of "players clubs", or go the way of "all one brand".

IMO i think its rare that one company offers clubs that is the BEST in each category for ones game. So yes, I think golfers do get caught up in looks sometimes. But I also think people who play blades get blasted way too much for it. Directly or indirectly.

i agree 100% with that, but it is kinda ridiculous when you see a 30HC with blades in the bag taking 15 shots to get to the green.

look good, feel good, play good. That's how I feel about most things and golf is in that mix, though not always holding up to the play good part. If I feel confident in how I (the clubs) look then my mind will be in a better place compared to something that looks ugly in my hand... I just already put myself in a bad place mentally. I'm also a mentalist and approach things with that aspect first. I teach high school kids how to drum, and if they think they're not prepared, they're right. Confidence comes from many places, appearance is high on that list.

I don't understand this logic but I'm sure it is true for your game. For me, I don't care what a club looks like, if I hit one club better than any other I will play it all day long. I've never really understood why thin top lines are better looking than a thick top lines, or anything else.

im sure its all in my head but if i dont like the way a club looks i wont play it, it all comes down to confidence and i gotta have that in my clubs, im not playing players clubs by any means, MX300 are not the thinest top line/sole out their but they arent shovels either.

To me it's a matter of confidence and visual repetition. I'd be just as inclined to feel awkward over a really big top line as I would a pink club head, but it's more personal preference. I am not saying one may not make my game better, but I am saying I have a certain level of comfort standing over thinner top lines or clubs that aren't white/yellow/pink/whatever.

Frankly, I don't care what a game improvement iron would do with a fat topline. Golf to me is a lot of feedback and a club that punishes me for taking a bad swing, and I get that with a forged head.

...and don't even get me started on square drivers haha!

I play a freakin' Hippo Hex2. That's all I have to say.

The club will just sit there and do nothing. The only thing that matters is what you do with it.

The reason one club performs better than another is because of what it does, otherwise why do we have hundreds of different club designs? Because they all do different things. It is true they have to be used but that doesn't have to be plainly stated to be understood.

I agree. But many different designs work better for many different people and many different swings. Thats why a fitting is important with a semi-repeatable golf swing.
The reason one club performs better than another is because of what it does, otherwise why do we have hundreds of different club designs? Because they all do different things. It is true they have to be used but that doesn't have to be plainly stated to be understood.

I like the look of blades and the sound when well struck - thats not happening with my current skill level. So I have a bag of uglies- Wilson D-FY irons (bulky heads and half and half shafts) and a couple of Niblicks. I can get around a course okay and thats what I care about.

I will never play a club i consider ugly. For me my gear is a part of the game and if i dont like the looks of it i wont use it. That being said, it may result in i dont play with the 110% best club for me.

I game the old Nike Slingshots with the green cavity. So I will more or less carry anything that works.

ya i'd have to say i have left clubs on a shelf because of the way they look and even the way they sound. some drivers just sound terrible

I would never play this no matter what it did for my game;

Tiger-Shark-PowerPod-II_600x600.jpg

My God, it's hidious!

Something about that thing is mesmerizing.

Yes, many people are too concerned about looks, social credit, and playing a one brand bag. Still, it's there bag and I don't care as long as they don't say something stupid about it.

See, I don't care what a club looks like looking down at it at address, because more often than not, I rarely look at the clubhead. However, I am concerned with how my stuff looks in the bag (the cavity design, color schemes, etc). Petty, yes it is, but since we're being honest here. There are certain clubs on the market right now that I don't like the look of (aesthetically) so I tend to stay away from them. I thought the Diable Edge irons were hideous, my thoughts on the S3's from Cobra are well documented as well. Honestly, one of the reasons I was so drawn in my the TP line of irons from Taylormade was b/c of how sweet they look to me, all industrial in design and color scheme. THey just scream golf tool to me!

Anyway, I'm like Hawk. I could give a flip about what someone has in their bag, just don't tell me it's in there b/c it's more workable, makes you practice harder, or whatever other cliche' reason there is for justifying certain styles of clubs.

I am talking about clubs here, not clothes. Lets be honest, as a whole, golfers long for thin top lines, small clubheads and traditional head-shapes. This leads some to go with clubs that may not be best for them. Have any of you ruled out a club because it was just ugly? Even if it would improve your game?

To be good for you, I think a club has to fit your eye as well as your stroke to be your best. I have seen a few clubs I wouldn't even try because of the way they look for sure. Looks and sound are important to me along with playability.

Back