TaylorMade Metal Woods - Morgan Cup Staff

You know I'd be there, but I just can't swing it. With buying the house and all the stuff that comes with that, we just can't make it down. I'll be there in spirit, I hope that's enough!
Man, your support is great. I know not everyone can make it down, but just being a part of it on the forum is great.

Awesome videos and pics guys. Those are some good looking sticks!

Dr. Evil. Pictures and write up being prepped for posting.

Kevin

Awesome video Esox.

Cool video Esox! Goodbye...LOL

What kind of grips did you go with?

Dude, you are slimming up, keep up the good work brother!

Esox living the good life! Great video

I love this thread.

The Guarantee was AWESOME. Great video, CG13!

Kevin, you are looking great. Excellent video as well.

Great video Esox...I loved the music. Just wondering if the dog has started to respond to the new name ("Ghost")? Seriously, love the new gear!

Just really cool vids and pictures guys. And the custom fit shafts, TM is really bringing it for their MC staffers!

Weapons of white destruction. Unlike most other Morgan Cuppers, and I'm sure this will be hard to believe for some, I did not go through a formal fitting process before choosing my clubs. That's not to say I didn't test everything I have on numerous occasions, but I did not go through a process in which I tested shaft after shaft. At my age, I look at launch monitors the same way I do doctors. Both are too likely to tell me something I don't want to know.

Another reason for my thinking is my game is evolving on a day to day basis due to my weight loss and how much time I've been practicing. I am easily hitting the ball 15 yards farther off the tee than just three or four weeks ago, and am one to one and a half club less with my irons. Consequently, I did not need, maybe need is a strong word, want is probably better, to have a young person at Golfsmith tell me I should be playing this or that shaft. What launch monitor testing I did shows I could most likely play with regular flex shafts, but I am on the cusp of stiff (and getting stiffer as my swing improves), and my spin numbers and launch angles are slightly low, (but changing weekly). I had hit the R-11 driver with Kai'li, the stock blur, and the Xcon 5. There were not great differences. A couple years ago I played an Xcon 6 in driver. Quite simply, I thought it was the best shaft I had ever played, though at 68 grams, a little heavy. That made the 5 at 58-59 grams a no brainer. It also seemed to promote better tempo. When the tempo was right, I loved how the shaft loaded.

So the R11 driver is shafted with a stiff Matrix Xcon 5 and is 10.5*. I'll start with it unchanged, but if the Xcon 5 is launching a bit high, I'll dial the loft down. Or the opposite. lol. Did you know you can adjust the R11 about 4,000 ways?

I liked the Xcon 5 so much I considered it as a 3W shaft, however, I have never played a 3W with a lighter shaft than my driver. Wasn't going to start now. Went with the 70 gram RIP Beta. I hit a 3W low and the mid-high launch should be just right. I predict bullets with this club that run like hell. Again, being able to adjust this club makes me certain the shaft and head are going to be a winner in some format.

I couldn't really test the shafts for the R-11 Rescue other than the stock in both the R11 and R11 TP. Didn't matter to me because I knew I wanted another Matrix in my bag. At 81 grams it give me the heft to keep the hybrid lower. I can get steep with a hybrid and balloon them, and the low to mid launch of the Altus will be perfect.

I made no changes to any of the clubs in terms of length. Standard was fine.

For grips, like AD, I went with the white Golf Pride VDR. After an experiment with NDMC on two clubs, I knew this popular grip wasn't for me. Too harsh on my supple skin. I had always been a big fan of Tour Velvet grips, and when I saw the VDR at Golfsmith, I realized they had the same soft feel, yet a little more "grip". They are quite tacky feeling. I can't wait to hit some balls with these grips on my clubs. They are standard size, no extra tape or anything like that.

I want to state I am choosing my clubs not so much for the future (though it's beyond cool they will be mine into the future), but specifically for what I think I want and need for the event. Wedge and irons choices will be made exactly the same way. I've looked at what challenges the Nicklaus and Watson courses at Reunion are going to offer, and my club choices are being made to meet those challenges.

Biggsy did a great job describing the TP headcovers so I won't go over that again, other than to say these babies ooze cool.

Here's a few pictures to go with my silly video. I'm putting these into play tomorrow. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period, but it shouldn't be long. I can still hardly believe this fat old dude got this opportunity. Thanks so much to THP and TaylorMade adidas Golf for making this happen.

Kevin

tmc1001.jpg
[/IMG]

tmc1003.jpg

tmc1004.jpg

tmc1006.jpg

tmc1007.jpg

tmc1008.jpg

And a couple sponsor trinkets I bought for myself. Because I'm worth it.

tmc1009.jpg

Alas no delivery for me. I don't think I'll see it until next week. Darn Canadian customs.

Tappin the keg!

ROFL Esox what is that music.

My life is filled with the smooth sounds of saxophones. All the time. lol.

That dog never responded to his own name, so Ghost works.

Kevin

Thanks for the write up, Kevin. I love hearing the shaft choices and info behind them. Your pics are excellent as well!

Great video, write-up and pics Esox.

great stuff guys, really glad for you all but sad for me at the same time hehe

Just got caught up on the thread, some beautiful sticks for everyone, and great write ups and pics. Esox, great video buddy! I love that you were even wearing Adidas socks, thats taking it to the next level! There was no box when I got home from playing 18 today so I was a little sad, but I'm sure it will be here tomorrow as that is what happened with the putters. Looks like the R11 driver and woods are a big hit with everyone.

Hey THP!

I came home tonight to a package from TaylorMade.

IMG_0241.jpg

I ended up going with an R11 10.5* driver, R11 15.5* 3 wood, and 18* Rescue.

IMG_0242.jpg

I'm not sure why this pic ended up being so terrible, but my shaft choices were: RIP Beta 60 for the driver, Motore F3 for the 3w, and the RIP 85 for the rescue.

IMG_0243.jpg

I went with the VDR's for grips. I have tried them in some wedges and liked what I felt. These are the first woods I have tried, or will try tomorrow, with these. The R11 head covers are great as well. I really like the strap they have for you to pull on instead of just tugging on the end of the cover.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

The Morgan Cup bag thus far...
IMG_0248.jpg

I can't thank The Hacker's Paradise and TaylorMade enough. I still really can't believe I am a part of this and am really looking forward to destroying some Paradisians in August.

Great stuff DD, some more R11 love and I love to see all the VDR's that are going on clubs. I'm very jealous of you guys right now but I'm sure they will be here soon.

Esox, what did you do to get your pictures to turn out that way. They look awesome!

Great description of your fitting process and the thoughts behind your selections. They are going to treat you well buddy!

Back