It's good to get that hiccup out of the way! And I am glad it tasted like :poop: - that is a VERY good sign!

It's good to get that hiccup out of the way! And I am glad it tasted like :poop: - that is a VERY good sign!

+1...We're here for ya!

Good for you for owning up to your hiccup. At least it didn't taste good and you stopped at two drags. Now back to business! You can do it Matt!

Exactly the same sentiments from here!

Good Job Matt.
You won't even be thinking about it after a few more days.
The first day or two is the toughest.
It's about finding new routines that don't involve smoking.

Boy do I wish that were true for me. I've been through this enough timnes already that I know it's going to be quite some before I don't think about it at all.

I am glad to see you are being realistic about this Matt, I wanted one for about a year off and on. I was a pack and a half smoker but have been a non smoker for 34 years, so I know if I can do it you can.

I made this post to add some accountability to myself while quitting. So, in that spirit, I have to tell the truth. This morning at 4:30 I had a hiccup in my quit. I had two drags off from a smoke. It tasted like crap, and I could immediately feel my lungs filling up with junk. I'm aggravated with myself that I have to start over, but that is what I'm going to do.

Its more important how you deal with your setbacks Matt. I have full confidence that you will get through this

Hang on & hang on. You can do it.

I've been reading through this thread. I know setbacks, and they happen to us all. I quit a very bad substance 14 years ago, and had a few setbacks initially, but have been clean for that long now. The easiest part for me was changing routines and not hanging out with other users. Now, I need to quit smoking, but changing those routines will be a little more complicated, as I smoke when I do just about everything. Video games, every few rounds I step outside. Driving to work, 1 or 2, on the way home, the same. The hardest part is going to be golf. I will basically need to give up golf for a while, since I smoke like a chimney on the course. I am pulling for you and will be using your accountability as inspiration when I make the final decision to give it up.

I've been reading through this thread. I know setbacks, and they happen to us all. I quit a very bad substance 14 years ago, and had a few setbacks initially, but have been clean for that long now. The easiest part for me was changing routines and not hanging out with other users. Now, I need to quit smoking, but changing those routines will be a little more complicated, as I smoke when I do just about everything. Video games, every few rounds I step outside. Driving to work, 1 or 2, on the way home, the same. The hardest part is going to be golf. I will basically need to give up golf for a while, since I smoke like a chimney on the course. I am pulling for you and will be using your accountability as inspiration when I make the final decision to give it up.

Thanks for sharing Ryan. Quitting smoking is so difficult because it is so pervasive throughout day to day life. It's a pain the ass to have to step out for a smoke, or find yourslef planning your work/day around smoking, but that's what all of us have to do. You really have to find a quit plan that works for you. I found that none of the nicotine replacement devices were worth a darn for me. But for others they work.

Cold turkey or slowly reducing the amount per day that you smoke is best IMO. I have also found recently, that complete cold turkey was too much for me and produced a great deal of anxiety. I'm sure some (maybe even most) will view this as a cop out, but I honestly felt like I was going to have a heart attack by my third day. The first two went fine except for the lack of sleep, and forcing myself to give up coffee as well, meant I was in a coma all day.

So, like I did yesterday, I woke up this morning at stupid o'clock. Had a cup of coffee, and went outside for a smoke. I haven't had one since and I feel like a million bucks, both physically and mentally. So, I can't really say the I've quit yet. I'm OK with it for now, but that too will change. I will quit completely, and hopefully soon. But I have to do it a little differently than just flat cold turkey!

The easiest part for me was changing routines and not hanging out with other users. Now, I need to quit smoking, but changing those routines will be a little more complicated, as I smoke when I do just about everything. Video games, every few rounds I step outside. Driving to work, 1 or 2, on the way home, the same. The hardest part is going to be golf. I will basically need to give up golf for a while, since I smoke like a chimney on the course. I am pulling for you and will be using your accountability as inspiration when I make the final decision to give it up.

I fervently hope you don't have to give up golf!!!! But I completely understand. I had to change my habits completely also. I had to let my friends know why I was not doing a lot of the things we used to do together. For the most part they understood.

MD, I know what you mean. My wife and I both smoke and we have tried quitting a few times together in recent years. This is both good and bad. The last time we tried together, I made it about 18 hours before she was demanding that I find someone to get a smoke from. I have a terrible SHORT fuse to begin with, and that just made it worse on her. I did try wellbutrin for a while a couple of years ago. They say it 's supposed to reduce your cravings so that after being on it for a couple of weeks, you should be able to quit without having any cravings. My cravings never went down, and then, after having been on it for about 3 weeks, I started getting depressed, so I had to stop taking it.

After reading this through again, I have decided that after I take my wife out sunday night for a few drinks, for her, I don't drink, I am quitting monday morning. I will be using this as an incentive since I really want to do a few other things this summer like get some lessons and order some new wedges. Plus, now having been diagnosed diabetic, on top of being an asthmatic, I really should quit. Otherwise, there's a good chance I won't be around to watch my kids graduate high school, let alone be able to walk my daughter down the aisle when she gets married.

That's awesome Ryan. Like I said, make a plan for yourself to quit on, and then be a little flexible with it. I don't mean just bag on the plan the first time it becomes difficult. Only recognize your physical and psychological limitations and work just outside of them to quit. Trying to go too far too fast is a recipe to start smoking full time and saying the hell with it all together.

It's a hard thing. I think Ozzy may have been right when he said smoking was harder to quit than heroin and the other assortment of drugs he was on. I wouldn't know about the drugs, but I have a feeling Ozzy may be good authority on difficulty to quit illegal drug use.

I'm attempting to quit for about the 6th time in my life. It gets a little easier each time, because I've definitely learned one thing, the first week is the hardest, because your used to your habits. A patch works for the nicotine crave, but when I first get in a car to drive anywhere, I feel like I should have one. Keep it up, were all rooting for you.

It's a hard thing. I think Ozzy may have been right when he said smoking was harder to quit than heroin and the other assortment of drugs he was on. I wouldn't know about the drugs, but I have a feeling Ozzy may be good authority on difficulty to quit illegal drug use.

I'm attempting to quit for about the 6th time in my life. It gets a little easier each time, because I've definitely learned one thing, the first week is the hardest, because your used to your habits. A patch works for the nicotine crave, but when I first get in a car to drive anywhere, I feel like I should have one. Keep it up, were all rooting for you.

The "other" substances were a breeze compared to smoking. The last time I stopped smoking for any period of length longer than 24 hours, I was 16, and I stopped for 8 months. Then, one night, out with some friends, we were at a restaurant and I bummed one from one of them, and that was it. The car is probably one of the hardest things to do. If I didn't despise the taste of sugar free candies, I might just start popping those every time I needed a fix. Luckily I have stockpiled a bunch of books that I need to read, so maybe I will just pick one up every time I need a smoke. Getting lost in a book is always a good thing anyway, right? Of course, I read fairly quickly, so I may need to go buy some more before this is all over.

Thanks for sharing Ryan. Quitting smoking is so difficult because it is so pervasive throughout day to day life. It's a pain the ass to have to step out for a smoke, or find yourslef planning your work/day around smoking, but that's what all of us have to do. You really have to find a quit plan that works for you. I found that none of the nicotine replacement devices were worth a darn for me. But for others they work.

Cold turkey or slowly reducing the amount per day that you smoke is best IMO. I have also found recently, that complete cold turkey was too much for me and produced a great deal of anxiety. I'm sure some (maybe even most) will view this as a cop out, but I honestly felt like I was going to have a heart attack by my third day. The first two went fine except for the lack of sleep, and forcing myself to give up coffee as well, meant I was in a coma all day.

So, like I did yesterday, I woke up this morning at stupid o'clock. Had a cup of coffee, and went outside for a smoke. I haven't had one since and I feel like a million bucks, both physically and mentally. So, I can't really say the I've quit yet. I'm OK with it for now, but that too will change. I will quit completely, and hopefully soon. But I have to do it a little differently than just flat cold turkey!

A lot of people can't do the cold turkey thing. If your new method gets you to your goal, who cares how you got there. However, make sure you don't find yourself reasoning your common sense. When I tried the lower your daily intake method - I kept convincing myself that one more was acceptable and sure enough I found myself smoking a pack a day again.

Tap before talk.

The Committ lozenges are working well for me so far. Keeps the nicotine craving at bay. Still hard to be around others smoking though so I try to avoid them at all costs...

Good luck quitting bro. I smoke off and on, but never that much. Quitting even 1 black and mild a day is hard, I can't imagine 1 pack a day.

Do this for yourself and your future. Once you quit, you will have more energy and feel so much better because you are not slowly poisoning yourself.

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

A lot of people can't do the cold turkey thing. If your new method gets you to your goal, who cares how you got there. However, make sure you don't find yourself reasoning your common sense. When I tried the lower your daily intake method - I kept convincing myself that one more was acceptable and sure enough I found myself smoking a pack a day again.

Tap before talk.

That is exactly why I leave them at home when I go to work. If I don't have them on me I can't smoke them. I know I won't go buy them while I'm out and about. Today was my first day under this new method, and it was actually awesome. I got to have my coffee first thing this morning, and I felt like a million bucks all day at work not smoking. I guess it sort of gave me something to look forward to, as pathetic as that is. But somehow it made handling the little nic-fits sooo much easier. Knowing that I could have one when I got home if I wanted. I have a long weekend in front of me, so I have to find myself away from the house as much as possible so I'm not around them, but I'm sure that won't be too difficult :golf :D

My wife told me tonight that she is nearly ready to drop them as well so that will make things even easier. I truly look forward to having them out of my life, but I guess I have to approach this quit with a little more patience.

You can do it man, you can do it!

This thread has actually helped me today. I picked up smoking black and milds to keep me company on my move. I used this as motivation to not get one on my drive home. Not only are you helping yourself, but you are helping to motivate me as well. Good on ya.

This thread has actually helped me today. I picked up smoking black and milds to keep me company on my move. I used this as motivation to not get one on my drive home. Not only are you helping yourself, but you are helping to motivate me as well. Good on ya.

Right back at ya Seth. Your original post from sometime in 2010 (?) helped me along as well.

Glad to hear you are still hanging in there with a plan to quit Matt. I think what you are doing is a good idea. You are on the right track! That's great that your wife is thinking she might be ready too. Go Matt!

Trying to check in every day Matt to let you know how much I am pulling for you buddy. Keep up the good work, your determination will get you through.

Trying to check in every day Matt to let you know how much I am pulling for you buddy. Keep up the good work, your determination will get you through.

Same here. Keep up the good work!

Glad to hear you are still hanging in there with a plan to quit Matt. I think what you are doing is a good idea. You are on the right track! That's great that your wife is thinking she might be ready too. Go Matt!

Same here. Keep up the good work!

Me too. I agree with all of these folks. Keep it up!

Back