Interesting Bubba comments...

Your having a miserable round......you are standing over you ball. It is in the wrong place....maybe even on the wrong fairway. You look up and it hits you right in the mug. You are in a foreign land....not really comfortable and not really able to get away because unlike home you can't just walk off the course and shuffle off to the hotel room. You could shuffle off the course, make a left here and a right there and be in Marseilles. Not saying there is anything wrong with Marseilles and not saying that Bubba is so pedestrian that he is just lost out there.

The point is it likely does not take much these days for Bubba to feel boxed in, without many if any remedies. Need we be reminded that Bubba is a completely open book with a pocket permanently attached to his sleeve so his heart does not fall off into the rough?

Honest question for our friends across the pond.
We have heard for over a year that honest answers are good answers. And its okay to give responses that are not popular as long as you are asked the question.
See Westwood, IJP, Rory, etc...

I have said for 2 years now that if a US player made the same type of comments on the Euro tour that the fans would not be so "open" about them. I was told that I was wrong and that its just a differing of opinions on how players should be able to speak their minds.

Clearly now, I am starting to believe I was dead on in that regards.

Just seen the interview on TV. I don't think he was being nasty about the course, just seemed to be avoiding talking about his round. The comment about not wanting to play again outside the US was a bit strange, but then I could see he looked quite emotional and maybe homesick. Perhaps that's all it is.

Personally I've no problem with someone being honest about what they feel about a course (positive or negative) no matter where they come from. Would be nice to see the best in the world playing in Europe and America on a regular basis, but can't see that happening in the near future with the split tours.

Just seen the interview on TV. I don't think he was being nasty about the course, just seemed to be avoiding talking about his round. The comment about not wanting to play again outside the US was a bit strange, but then I could see he looked quite emotional and maybe homesick. Perhaps that's all it is.

Personally I've no problem with someone being honest about what they feel about a course (positive or negative) no matter where they come from. Would be nice to see the best in the world playing in Europe and America on a regular basis, but can't see that happening in the near future with the split tours.

You know, I think it might have been MY disappointment that prompted my post actually. That we get one of the big names from the US tour over here, and after one round, he's made his mind up that he's not going to play in Europe again... But having read all the posts proposing the reasons for this, I guess its understandable. Lest hope he spoke in haste, and doesn't talk to any of his PGA tour mates before he's had a chance to reconsider !!! :)

It did actually make the news pages here, and I now wonder if he was advised to get over to Europe for a couple of tourneys before The Open. Bad move in retrospect, as he's +3 for his 2nd round so far after 12... My guess is he'll be on the first plane out tonight to regroup.

Last edited:
i really like bubba just watched his interview today and i felt for the guy. he looked gutted i hope he plays more over here but if not ill still get to watch him on sky.
but imho he looks like he has some personal issues just the way he come across i may be way of mark though

Did anyone watch the GC interview with Adam Scott by Steve Sands? I ask because he is swinging great, leafing the ATT National and had nothing but glowing comments about the course. The course that made some of the tours biggest stars look ordinary.
Play well....happy fufu bunnies!!
Play bad....look for words that won't sink your image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I happened to catch the end of Bubba's round and he did not look happy. I saw that interview as well and you could tell he was annoyed. I think too much may be made of his comment or lack there of. If he had come out and said he hated the course and greens were slow, that would have been an international golf incident. Bubba gave what I thought was a diplomatic answer considering his state of mind (of course I am assuming he was distracted by his poor play)

Bubba has always been open and honest to the point that he is criticized for crying after his wins on tour. I like the openess and the emotions on the sleeve that we get 98% of the time. the other 2%...well... he gets a pass from me.

Did anyone watch the GC interview with Adam Scott by Steve Sands? I ask because he is swinging great, leafing the ATT National and had nothing but glowing comments about the course. The course that made some of the tours biggest stars look ordinary.
Play well....happy fufu bunnies!!
Play bad....look for words that won't sink your image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are spot on on both of these post Tad, great insight and rep added buddy.

hmm....

http://www.bunkered.co.uk/blog/2011/07/01/sacre-bleu-bubba/

I'm hoping this is slightly wide of the mark. Bubba needs a break though, that's for sure.

I don't think it's wide of the mark, considering that this article says much of the same and is written by a different person:

http://www.golfbytourmiss.com/2011/06/homesick-watson-vows-not-to-return-to-europe/

Home sick Bubba Watson is believed to have been paid $200,000 to contest the French Open but he’s now vowed never to play again in Europe.

Watson was certainly in no mood for a long fireside chat after finding the water at the National club’s 18th on route to a disappointing three over par 74 on day one of the Euro 3m event being played on the 2018 Ryder Cup host venue.

Also included in Watson’s round were three birdies but also four bogeys before the double at 18.

The American lefty trudged off lying close to 100th position on his debut in a regular Race to Dubai tour event.

But when politely asked for a post round comment all the World No. 12 could say was: “I think this might be the only time I play in Europe. I miss my home.

“I love France. France is a nice place. Paris is a beautiful city. I went to the Eiffel Tower, to the Louvre, somthing like that, and the arch way, and saw the castle that we are staying next to (Versailles Palace).”

So much for Watson’s pre-tournament ‘I just wanted to come to France, and just to experience a different culture, different lifestyle, different golf, different atmosphere’ comments.

Watson clearly made no effort to familiarise himself with Paris and one of the great cities of the world.

He came across as a complete fool when on the eve of the event he was asked if he had taken in any of the famed Paris landmarks.

Watson described the Eiffel Tower as ‘that big tower’ and the Arc de Triomphe as ‘this arch I drove round in a circle and in riding past the Louvre on his motorised push bike, Watson described it as ‘a building starting with L’.

Also Watson’s been ‘difficult’ all week by declining simple requests for interviews and even an approach from one of SKY’s more attractive female employees to film a head shot of him during the informality of Wednesday’s Pro-Am.

“See my manager,” was his only comment.

Also it’s believed Watson refused to share a courtesy car from his hotel to the course with a European Tour player and instead demanded his own courtesy car.

You don’t do those things in Europe.

And Watson’s also done little to earn the appearance money he’s been reportedly paid.

He’s known to enjoy spending time with young children but has Waston asked to host a clinic for young French golfers? Of course not!

For all you may think about Tiger Woods, at least the former long running World No. 1 happily agreed to bringing smiles to young golfers.

All Watson’s done is tarnish his fun-loving image and drawn comparisons to the ‘ugly American tourist’ that we all thought we saw the back of decades ago.

“He’d be better off staying home in America rather than the time and money spent of getting here to France,” was one observer’s comment.

And if Watson does miss the cut in his very first regular European Tour event, the big question is whether Watson will hand back half of his appearance fee?

Here’s betting he doesn’t.

didnt like the way the commentators dumped on him today. out of order one of them looked like he didnt want to be there the other looked like he was trying to twist the knife.

I just read this article and had to make my comments. This doesn't seem to be the Bubba we are all used to. I would consider it an experiment gone wrong. Bubba is an animal that needs to reside in his natural habitat and seems to be the definition of "creature of habit." Hopefully he can shake off his French experience and play well in the Open Championship.

I just read this article and had to make my comments. This doesn't seem to be the Bubba we are all used to. I would consider it an experiment gone wrong. Bubba is an animal that needs to reside in his natural habitat and seems to be the definition of "creature of habit." Hopefully he can shake off his French experience and play well in the Open Championship.

When you say 'we are all used to'....a couple of things spring to my mind. Bubba from the last year or 2 maybe, but he's had his moments in the past already. The most pertinent one though - He's in France, being paid a lot of money to be there. They're not used to him at all. Wouldn't you at least make an effort to please the sponsors/organisers even if you weren't playing well?
Not particularly Bubba, but I think we can pander to golfers and other professional sportspersons a bit too much when things aren't going their way.

When you say 'we are all used to'....a couple of things spring to my mind. Bubba from the last year or 2 maybe, but he's had his moments in the past already. The most pertinent one though - He's in France, being paid a lot of money to be there. They're not used to him at all. Wouldn't you at least make an effort to please the sponsors/organisers even if you weren't playing well?
Not particularly Bubba, but I think we can pander to golfers and other professional sportspersons a bit too much when things aren't going their way.

I'm not taking anyones side in this situation. 'We are all used to.." is referring to the fun loving, goofy, layed back, Bubba. I'm also not indulging his actions either. I think that you take a person like Bubba, who is so used to having things the way he likes them and being comfortable with the flow of things on the PGA tour, and then throw him into a new environment, he is bound to react differently. He did something he probably didn't want to really do for a little bit of extra cash $$$. Great! He can go out and buy another expensive watch.

Great point paulo. I'm surprised he didn't make the effort. I barely knew of the Bubba before he lost weight and started playing exceptionally well so I know him more as the goofy fun loving twitter hound bubba.

All in all though I don't slight him. I'm still a fan.

I'm not taking anyones side in this situation. 'We are all used to.." is referring to the fun loving, goofy, layed back, Bubba. I'm also not indulging his actions either. I think that you take a person like Bubba, who is so used to having things the way he likes them and being comfortable with the flow of things on the PGA tour, and then throw him into a new environment, he is bound to react differently. He did something he probably didn't want to really do for a little bit of extra cash $$$. Great! He can go out and buy another expensive watch.

You're right, I think we learn more about the players when they're put in situations that may be outside their comfort zone.

Great point paulo. I'm surprised he didn't make the effort. I barely knew of the Bubba before he lost weight and started playing exceptionally well so I know him more as the goofy fun loving twitter hound bubba.

All in all though I don't slight him. I'm still a fan.

It's not the worst thing someone could do, and I certainly wouldn't stop following him or being a fan over it, but it did make me sit up and take notice.

Good bloke had a bad day and I think the guy from Bunkered is way too harsh. I'm sure Bubba will get his leg pulled on Twitter by the other pros and say something about it soon enough.

Be typical if he comes out and wins at Royal St George's now lol.

I can't believe he even got an appearance fee to begin with. The euro's have ton's of talent and they need to pay guys to play in a tourney? And who would have thought a guy who goes by the name of Bubba might not have any interest in French history or culture. This is a laughable situation, way to represent "something" Bubba.

I think the French still owe us for WWII and for taking over their mess in Vietnam. If we can get something out of them, we should. One golfer at a time.

Kevin

I have mixed feelings about this, on one hand it sounds like the tourney was a little loose on enforcing the phone and picture policy, but on the other hand it sounds like his skin is a little thin, no need to bash a country because of poor play. Him saying that the only reason he'll play in the open is because it's a major and he'll get home asap afterwards is a little childish as well. Hopefully the backlash coming his way will remind him of just how lucky he is.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/Bubba-Watson-blames-local-fans-after-missing-cut-at-French-Open-070111?GT1=39002

SAINT-QUENTIN-EN-YVELINES, France (AP)
American golfer Bubba Watson came to the French Open to experience a new culture but the move backfired as he blamed the local spectators' behavior and poor security on the Albatross course Friday for his disappointing performance.

Watson missed the cut after shooting a 3-over 74 in the second round for a 6-over 148 total. ''It's not a normal tournament,'' Watson said. ''There's cameras, there's phones, there's everything. There's no security. I don't know which holes to walk through. There's no ropes.''

Watson has won two titles this year but rarely plays in Europe. He was apparently affected by the permissive culture in France as spectators snapped photos and recorded videos while he was playing.

''I'm not used to that,'' Watson said. ''I'm not saying it's bad. It's just something I'm not used to, I'm not comfortable with. It's very strange to me. Just very uncomfortable.''

The American lefty complained that the rules were not respected by the fans. ''Every tee says 'no phones, no video cameras' and on every tee there's hundreds,'' Watson said.

Tournament director David Probyn was disappointed for Watson but hopes that he will come back, saying the player would be welcome.

''It's a shame Bubba has felt that way,'' Probyn said. ''I'm absolutely sure that other players have been put off by it ... but I haven't had any other complaint this week.''

Probyn disagreed with Watson's comments on security issues but acknowledged that the culture on the European Tour was different from the one on its American counterpart.

''Every fairway is roped. We've got marshals on every hole,'' Probyn said. ''It's probably true to say that we do not use professional security in the same way as they do on the PGA Tour.''

He also acknowledged that the European Tour was trying to adapt to spectators using mobile phones and other gadgets on a daily basis.

''It's kind of reality wherever you go,'' he added. ''It is then about educating people: how to use them and where to use them, and that's something that you'll see changing over the short to middle term.''

Ironically, Watson came to Europe to experience a new culture.

''The reason to come over here was just to experience it,'' Watson said this week before the start of the tournament. ''I've played on the U.S. Tour the whole time and just wanted to come over here, just to experience a different culture, a different life, a different golf, a different atmosphere.''

But by Thursday Watson felt homesick after carding a 3-over 74 in the first round.

''I miss my home,'' Watson said Thursday.

Despite his unhappy experience in Europe, Watson was adamant about participating in the British Open this month.

''I'll play the British Open because it's a Major, that's the only reason,'' Watson said. ''I'm going to go sightseeing real quick and then probably sightsee tomorrow (and) get home as fast as possible.''

I think the French still owe us for WWII and for taking over their mess in Vietnam. If we can get something out of them, we should. One golfer at a time.

Kevin

And you owe them for keeping the english fleet from landing during the revolution that you very well could have lost had they not done that, so why not call it even? Anyway this whole event has made me think less of Bubba. I was really starting to like the guy, but I watched those press conferences and interviews, and while I hate to say this, he sounded like the stereotypical american tourist who is shocked that everything isn't the same way there as it is at home. I'm really not impressed by him right now, and while it doesn't make me dislike him, I won't be cheering for him like I was before.

*shrug*

France isn't one of my preferred destinations in Europe. Can't blame him. Everything about that country is 'difficult'. Though for 200 grand I would've chosen my words more carefully.

I think everything he said was blown out of porportion. He gave honest answers. He said he wasnt comfortable with the atmosphere. He said it wasn't bad he just isn't used to it. Getting paid or not when he was asked a question he answered it honestly. He didn't tuck his tail and beat around the bush, he was upfront and honest and that says something aboutr his character. I think he is getting a lot of scrutiny for pretty much nothing at all. I guess it all in the perspective you look at it from. You can twist almost everything to make someone out to be a jerk if you really want, He just shared his oppinion.

I read an article about how he said he didn't like that the course had no security. He said fans were yelling at him and things during his set up. Way different environment than when he plays over here. Guess it got to his head and his quality of play plummeted.

The most ironic part of all of this, is think back to a select few players from the other side of the pond after the RC a few years ago.
They complained of "yelling fans" and "lack of security".
The Euro fans at the time complained
Sounds oh so familiar.

I still think my original post says more about this than anything else.
Had Lee Westwood, Rory, or Kaymer come and played at Aronimink and stunk up the joint.
Then said they did not care for the course and preferred playing at home.
US fans would say how they are being rude and the Euro fans would say "well they are just being honest".

Its completely cyclical depending on where someone is located and what they want the words to mean.

The most ironic part of all of this, is think back to a select few players from the other side of the pond after the RC a few years ago.
They complained of "yelling fans" and "lack of security".
The Euro fans at the time complained
Sounds oh so familiar.

I still think my original post says more about this than anything else.
Had Lee Westwood, Rory, or Kaymer come and played at Aronimink and stunk up the joint.
Then said they did not care for the course and preferred playing at home.
US fans would say how they are being rude and the Euro fans would say "well they are just being honest".

Its completely cyclical depending on where someone is located and what they want the words to mean.

I agree with you completely, but if those same Euro players, came to the US and said they visited that "statue of the tall lady" and "big house that starts with a W" and "that tall thing in the big mall", they would be CRUSHED! and rightly so for that matter. You can't go to another country and not know the names of the most famous monuments they have after you just visited them.

Back