Thoughts on shot shaping

Merideus

Reaction score
Since I began playing golf the topic of shot shaping has been something that has come up over and over for a variety of reasons and I was wondering what everyone here thinks about it? From my experience there are three schools of thought.

1. I try and shape every single shot I make, whether it is high, low, draw, fade I am trying to do something with it.

2. I struggle enough hitting it straight who wants to worry about curving it.

3. I play to hit it straight and/or my natural ball flight and only shape it if I really have too.

One of the big reasons I ask this question is because the ability to shape one’s shot is something I feel most people attribute to better golfers a group I don’t always consider myself to be a part of. Yet I know that I struggle to keep mechanical thoughts out of my head when standing over the ball, is my club face square as I take the club away, are my knees flexed enough, etc. but when I am playing a particular shot shape I focus on how to make that happen and it allows me to swing more freely because I am focused on the shot shape I trying to hit versus my mechanics. This has left me wondering if others find themselves in a similar situation and if they/I wouldn’t be better off trying to make golf shots versus trying to make golf swings?

Again what do you guys think?

Hit it straight....I am not going to screw up trying to do something I have no business doing. I think straight covers 95% of the shots anyways without trying to get fancy.

Shot shaping should be done with a purpose. If there is no purpose to shape a shot, it should be hit straight or with one's natural ball flight.
It really is not about better golfers, etc...despite what many would want one to believe.
It can be attributed to more advanced golfers in some ways based on the fact that shot shaping requires a repeatable swing.
But in the end, only 2 things matter when playing golf.
1. Have fun.
2. Score.
You can do both without ever working the ball.

I can shape my shots, but go for straight shots any time that I can. Off the tee, a power fade gives me quite a bit more distance, but it can also become a nasty slice so I just opt for a straight shot.

I go with #3, but hope I don't need to hit a draw. Tough for me to do on command. Usually my draws come on a doublecross.

I play my natural ball flight which ranges from straight to a fade, depending on the club.

I naturally work the ball with a fat shot :). I always try and hit the range before to see what my ballflight is going to look like. I just play whatever is there. I hate trying to work the ball.

I just play the ball flight I bring to the course each day. If it is essential to move the ball left or right than I will do so, but I am no longer that consistent in doing this so it is a last resort.

Shot shaping should be done with a purpose. If there is no purpose to shape a shot, it should be hit straight or with one's natural ball flight.
It really is not about better golfers, etc...despite what many would want one to believe.
It can be attributed to more advanced golfers in some ways based on the fact that shot shaping requires a repeatable swing.
1. Have fun.
2. Score.

I agree with JB. Go with what comes natural. Only work the ball when needed. I can work the ball in either direction, but it took lots of work and lots of years playing to be able to do so. My natural shot is a fade or cut and I go with it most of the time. It has become very perdictable plus it takes the left side out of play for me. I can go left when needed but I stick with the safe shot most of the time.

Play my normal ball flight, which is right of center. If I try to get fancy and shape a shot, it gets real bad, real quick.

On the other hand, I love coming up to a dogleg right, knowing that my natural "grip and rip" swing is a nasty slice, I just swing hard and fast and watch a vicious slice play perfectly to the dogleg.

Really only 2 shots I attempt is a knockdown iron or a draw. I only use them if I have no other choice. If I try to work stuff to the right bad things happen, like winding up on the adjacent hole. I have only hit those shots maybe 5 times this year. Straight and high works for me in almost every situation.

You have to mainly focus on just playing with what you brought that day. Yeah shot shaping is nice and can come in tight spots but sometimes people do it when it's not needed and leads to a worse score than what you should have had.

Depends on what I'm playing that day. If its a friendly day out with my father or brother I'll try to work the ball as much as possible, just about every other shot to practice (and show off a little). If its out with friends and we're being competitive, only when necessary - Cut shots to tucked pins, doglegs and for the occasional shrub that I find myself behind I'll attempt to bend it like Phil.

I'm #3, also. There are a couple of holes on my home course where I"ll aim left and open the face to try to fade it. Both times I tried it yesterday the ball went straight and I had to play a giant hook to get back in the middle of the fairway.

1. Have fun.
2. Score.

Unless your name is Bubba Watson :D

I pretty much hit it straight, but can go left-to-right when I want to, especially with the driver.

I hate trying to shape the ball. My natural ball flight is straight sometimes with a little draw depending on which club I am using. I only shape the ball if I absolutely have too.

#2 for me. I play a hilly course and have enough on my hands trying to manage that and keep it in the fairway. If I can do that I've never felt the need to "work" the ball.

For my shots, I go with either #2 or #3. When I try to make it curve on purpose; I forget about having a smooth tempo, and bad things happen.

Ahhh....workability! This is something too many high cappers focus on. I am a 10 hdcp and I focus on hitting the ball towards my target. Workability is for professionals and internet golfers. I say you get back to basics. Your game will thank you.

edit: it reads like I am making fun of you. I am not, I am kidding. But I do think too many people try to "work" the ball too often. Just play to your strenghts. Dont make weaknesses

I always play for my natural shot shape which is a draw. I will admit to liking having to shape a shot. I find it to be a fun challenge. Not something I want every shot, but a few times a round

I play my natural shot shape (a draw) unless the situation demands some other shot (tree trouble, tucked pin, etc.). I think it's important to have a go to shot, stock shot or something you're comfortable with (whatever that may be), but it can be helpful to be able to work the ball when needed.

I naturally work the ball with a fat shot :). I always try and hit the range before to see what my ballflight is going to look like. I just play whatever is there. I hate trying to work the ball.

This is me. Some days straight, some days draw, some days fade. I have to have a short range session to know what direction is going to be more prevalent in that day's round. I thought at one point in time I could consistently shape from a somewhat consistent straight shot to a draw, but that was never really the case.

I fall in the #3 category mostly. I try to hit the ball relatively straight on every shot, but will hit the draw or fade on a shot that absolutely demands that you hit it. Not saying it works like I plan all of the time, but I can pretty much make it do it when I must.

I go with #3. I dont think you need to sharpe every shot you hit just if needed.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Back