Thoughts on shot shaping

#3 and my "shaping" consists of changing the height of the shot rather then the direction. I think Bubba would be a better player if he didn't want to be Beckham with a golf club

i play straight shots unless im right behind trouble. sometimes it works and other times it doesnt

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I shape every single shot, but I do try to shape shots when I think that a specific approach angle or landing angle would be better than simply hitting a straight (or natural) shot.

For instance, if I were looking at a shot to a slightly elevated green and I had a choice as to what kind of shot to hit, I'd choose a high fade because it will tend to land more softly than a low draw might. But If I were looking at a shot to a green that was slightly below my feet I could really choose either a draw or fade or even just choose to hit it straight because in that case, none of those shots has any real advantage over another. So it's definitely a situational thing.

There is however one rule that I always follow and that is that no matter what shot I prefer to hit or have maybe learned to hit, under pressure, I'm most likely going to revert back to whatever my natural shot is (in my case a high fade) and if I'm feeling tense I try to plan a shot that allows for that if the situation lets me choose.

I do better if I need to stay left or there is a left to right wind, I will focus on making sure the face is closed.

Any thought of letting it bleed right, or playing my "nature" ball flight will end in a huge slice.

I find my game a little funny with regards to shot shaping. Last year was my first year playing a lot. I started the year with a bad slice and an index in the high twenties. Then I saw a comment on DJ's swing during last year's US Open and I realized I wasn't turning my shoulders and was badly bending my left elbow. In a week I went to a 17 cap and got rid of my slice. About a month ago I choked up on all my clubs and started hitting it much straighter (<15 index) but have developed a slight draw. Long story slightly shorter, I used to slice badly, and now that I hit it well, I can no longer fade the ball but can hit it low or with a strong draw on command. I try to keep it straightish, but my course is strongly left handed and there are 4 or 5 holes where I can either hit an iron off the tee and leave a mid-iron in, or draw a wood and have a wedge or pitch shot in, so that's what I try.

Short version = #3 ;)

i shape shots if i'm hitting it good to be honest. first few holes are warm up holes as i try to get settled in and get comfortable on the course. if i see that i'm hitting my shots to where i'm aiming, i'll get a little gutsy and shape some here and there.

I just try and hit it straight.. That is hard enough for me to do to be honest.

It is usually necessary for me to bend it several times per round. Prefer draw to fade. Prefer low instead of high except driver.

straight is all I need

Overrated and accidental.

THIS! I never find I have to hit a draw or a fade. I used to play a small fade, that had turned lately into a little draw. I just play that little draw on every shot.

I need to to get myself out of trouble. But I dont do that stuff anymore just around the course.
THIS! I never find I have to hit a draw or a fade. I used to play a small fade, that had turned lately into a little draw. I just play that little draw on every shot.

I am more of a #3 too.....my natural shape is a fade.....sometimes a little more fade than I want.....but I can turn it over if I have too....I just don't like to have to because I really can't control a draw like I can a fade.

I'll work it depending on the hole, Some tee shots require a draw or cut for placement depending on the dogleg or pin location.

I like to just hit my natural straight ball the majority of the time. I will rarely shape a ball just for the sake of doing it (except for high and low, mess with those all the time). If you can hit a ball straight and have good distance control, you will hardly ever put yourself in a bad position.

Like I mentioned in the spin thread, I don't use that part of my game all the time, but it sure is nice to have when you need it.

I just try and hit it straight.. That is hard enough for me to do to be honest.

Overrated and accidental.

straight is all I need

I like to just hit my natural straight ball the majority of the time. I will rarely shape a ball just for the sake of doing it (except for high and low, mess with those all the time). If you can hit a ball straight and have good distance control, you will hardly ever put yourself in a bad position.

Like I mentioned in the spin thread, I don't use that part of my game all the time, but it sure is nice to have when you need it.

I am just curious, do you guys play courses that have mature trees and or dog legs?

Many of the holes at my club will be 2-3 clubs shorter for second shots if you work your tee shot. Then we have several large trees that cause problems unless you can work it. Of course trees are not a problem if I were perfect and always placed my tee shot in the proper side of the FW, oh wait, the ball has to bend around other trees to get to the proper side in order to miss those other trees. A lot of the older courses around here have large mature trees and it is hard to score if all you have is straight or one shape.

Yep, I dont shape it just to do it. Heck, how many Bubbas can there be?

tapping and talking from Tapatalk

I'm a 3. I try to hit it straight, but when I need to turn a ball or keep it out of the wind or get it over something, I will.

This has left me wondering if others find themselves in a similar situation and if they/I wouldn’t be better off trying to make golf shots versus trying to make golf swings?

Absolutely. Making golf swings is for the range, making golf shots and getting it in the hole is for the course.

Any body know where I read that you can shape your shot by tightening your hand? Left hand for fade; right hand for draw. I saw it recently in a golf magazine. Maybe it was Golf Week because I just checked the last 2 issues of Golf and Golf Digest.

90% of the time I play my natural shot shape, straight to a slight fade. I might play around with trajectory a little bit with the scoring clubs or into the wind. I'll only play a draw if I really REALLY have to.

I am just curious, do you guys play courses that have mature trees and or dog legs?

Many of the holes at my club will be 2-3 clubs shorter for second shots if you work your tee shot. Then we have several large trees that cause problems unless you can work it. Of course trees are not a problem if I were perfect and always placed my tee shot in the proper side of the FW, oh wait, the ball has to bend around other trees to get to the proper side in order to miss those other trees. A lot of the older courses around here have large mature trees and it is hard to score if all you have is straight or one shape.

We have the same problem around our area. Lots and lots of doglegs and trees so shaping would come in handy. I want to learn how to do that one day. I just have way too much other stuff to learn first so straight is the WTG for me right now.

I would have to agree with everyone else on the forum. Play what comes natural for you, anything else and you're flirting with trouble. We as amateurs do not have enough time to work on perfecting our shot shaping, and when we try to do something un-natural thats when we get into trouble. I have been struggling with wanting to change my natural slight fade into a draw just because I wanted more roll in the fairway... Well I decided to play what I was given and I have began shooting some of the best scores of my life, and I have a much more predictable ball flight this was as well!

We have the same problem around our area. Lots and lots of doglegs and trees so shaping would come in handy. I want to learn how to do that one day. I just have way too much other stuff to learn first so straight is the WTG for me right now.

Straight is usually good for avoiding trouble. Nothing wrong with that.

When I am just hitting a normal open shot to a green, I will hit it normally, which for me is straight or slight draw. Only when I am in trouble or want to reach a tricky pin location do I mess around with shot shaping...

Back