Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf is supposed to be about having fun, right? Lately I have not been having fun. I have put so much emphasis and high expectations on myself to improve this season that have been getting very anxious and nervous on the course. This has been causing bad scores, which lead to a bad attitude, more bad scores, etc... Last night I played in my weekly league and was paired up with the professional and his college golf teammate. I was extremely nervous and played horribly. Today I went to the range during lunch hoping to "get it back" and it was even worse. I was shanking shots, topping shots, slicing, hitting hooks, etc... Wednesday I leave for Vegas and I'm playing Wolf Creek and Badlands. At this point I honestly wish I didn't have these tee times and wasn't golfing. Am I seriously saying this, "I wish I wasn't playing Wolf Creek"? Just a week ago tomorrow I shot my best round ever. But horrible rounds on Thursday and yesterday combined with several horrible range sessions have changed everything in only 1 week.

Has this ever happened to you? What do you do when you get in this spot mentally? I really want to just relax and have fun again.

I was going to tell you if you weren't heading to Vegas, take some time away from the game. Otherwise, just have to think positively as possible to get through the rounds.

It certainly has happened to me and I practice my putting. Relax man, it will come back as soon as you let it.

Last edited:
Whenever I start to play rather badly, as was mentioned, you need to try and think positive. Easier said than done, unfortunately. Try to remember that you are out doing what you love instead of working or doing something else. Also, what helps me personally is to try to slow down. Try to breathe slower, swing slower, walk/drive slower, etc. If you have a bad shot, try to forget about it and focus on the next.

Slow down! Hit balls at half sped, then 3/4 speed.....and stop there....whatever you think is 3/4 of your normal swing is, use that for all shots for awhile. Until you ate very comfortable. When I get nervous or anxious my swing speeds up and I spray the ball everywhere.

Slow down! Hit balls at half sped, then 3/4 speed.....and stop there....whatever you think is 3/4 of your normal swing is, use that for all shots for awhile. Until you ate very comfortable. When I get nervous or anxious my swing speeds up and I spray the ball everywhere.

That's what I do. I hit comfortable shots at 1/2-3/4 until I am confident. I might even play the whole round like this to get some confidence. Hit the range after and work up to full swings.
Another thing that helps me is picturing a spot just ahead of the ball to hit. My contact improves greatly doing this.
When I take the game too seriously, I am done. When I just focus on enjoying the game, then I play my best!

Good Luck!

OG, I am going through a similar phase. I was playing my best golf two weeks ago, shooting 80 three times consecutively, an 81, and then a 79. Consistently, that is. Since, I have not broken 85 and am play so far above my handicap I feel awful. I took a step back for a week, and just for the first time today played only 6 holes, then went and hit balls on the range. I did play ok on those six holes, and was +4. Not my best, but better than it has been. I understand your feeling, and just don't let it get you discouraged. Golf is a game of technicalities, fractions of inches, and luck. Keep playing, it'll come back

relax bro. Golf is fun but you have to realize it's also 90% mental.

That's what I do. I hit comfortable shots at 1/2-3/4 until I am confident. I might even play the whole round like this to get some confidence. Hit the range after and work up to full swings.
Another thing that helps me is picturing a spot just ahead of the ball to hit. My contact improves greatly doing this.
When I take the game too seriously, I am done. When I just focus on enjoying the game, then I play my best!

Good Luck!

OG, I am going through a similar phase. I was playing my best golf two weeks ago, shooting 80 three times consecutively, an 81, and then a 79. Consistently, that is. Since, I have not broken 85 and am play so far above my handicap I feel awful. I took a step back for a week, and just for the first time today played only 6 holes, then went and hit balls on the range. I did play ok on those six holes, and was +4. Not my best, but better than it has been. I understand your feeling, and just don't let it get you discouraged. Golf is a game of technicalities, fractions of inches, and luck. Keep playing, it'll come back

I agree to both these, but also a tip that someone gave me on this forum (to whoever it is I'm sorry I forgot) is to hit shots out of a fairway practice bunker. You can't swing really hard or you will slip, or fall, and you just get back to a nice even tempo. Good luck man, I'm sorry you're feeling that way, but it will get better, it always does.

Have fun!!! Brush off bad shots cuz they don't matter. It's a game that can drive you nuts if you let it. Just go out and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to tell you if you weren't heading to Vegas, take some time away from the game. Otherwise, just have to think positively as possible to get through the rounds.

Youre right on! I believe you have the yips. It's something you have no control over and need to work through it. Either take a week or so off and go back with clear mind. If you cant take any time off stay positive and clear your head after each shot.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

My opinion, shut it down until you play in Vegas. No practice, no Friday afternoon 18. Just shut it down and relax for a bit. Read a golf book, preferably something by Dr. Rotella.

Drink a couple beers. Your expectations will go down, because you know your drinking, and that will allow you to be loose again. Golf is the only game where the harder you try, the worse you do.
Taking away the score preoccupation, you will hit some solid shots, which will make the round more fun. Maybe dont even count up your score untill after the round. Just have fun, drink a couple drinks, and enjoy being outside.
Seen it a million times.

It's easy to get carried away when you're playing well and your expectations go up accordingly. Like any other sports slumps come and go and they can be frustrating, just remember in time it'll come back. Just keep grinding away and before you know it, it'll come right back to you. A few bad shots will just make you appreciate the good ones!

Don't rule out taking a lesson-especially if you can work with a swing coach you have always worked with and knows your tendencies. Earlier this year I felt similar to you and I was literally ready to give up the game for a while. Instead, I booked a lesson and told my instructor that my swing was all over the place. Well, no big surprise but my past bad habits were creeping back into my swing. My problem was I was getting so frustrated that I just couldn't be open minded enough to see them on my own.

This happened to me today and over the last few. Ive gradually worked my way into an unplayable hook. Im annoyed and I really dont have the patience to play anymore. That being said, I wont ignore it, Ill just find a PGA Pro to help me out and get back on the horse.

Just
Hit
The
Ball

Usually when I slump I have too much crap going through my head. Works eventually.

Thanks guys, some good insight here. I will try to clear my head and have fun in Vegas. When I return I have lessons lined up with my instructor.

Last edited:
relax bro. Golf is fun but you have to realize it's also 90% mental.

This! There is a great chance its not anything physical and its all in your head. Relax and take a few deep breaths. youll be fine

I've been playing 35+ years and golf has always been day to day. I refuse to get down on the bad rounds and at the same time I don't get too high when things go great. It is just part of the game.

Up to yesterday, I had played 26 straight days which is not unusual for me, but because of the high heat in the midwest right now, I took yesterday off and I doubt I'll play this week before Thursday league. Always good to take a few days off now and then.

If I had as many things going wrong as the OP listed, I would be on the range in a second with my teacher. Always better to have a qualified set of eyes looking things over than trying to work it out yourself.

happens every now and then, the way I see it, no matter how bad Im playing, its better than doing a lot of other things!

Thanks guys, some good insight here. I will try to clear my head and have fun in Vegas. When I return I have lessons lined up with my instructor.

Good for you . Enjoy your rounds. Let us know how it goes

It happens to us all so don't beat yourself up. Just know that it is normal to fall off the horse, dust yourself off and get back on and ask for help if you get stumped. You can not see your own swing so it could be something simple. JB just announced that Golftec is on board and ready to help us. Throw them some questions and they can give you the tips you need to work on. Maybe you can have someone video your swing and post it in the ask the pro thread. Just expect to have slumps in golf as it's a natural part of the game and work on your mental relaxation techniques. Putting too much mental pressure to perform will ruin a world class swing so just think what it will do for us hackers. Chill dude and slow it down. Use baby steps and simple contact drills where you are just chipping to a spot until you feel confidence coming back. Good luck and have fun!

Stop keeping score for a while. Play a few casual rounds, a few friends, a few beers, maybe an evening round, maybe a par 3 course, enjoy the walk and the view, breathe in the fresh air. You would be amazed how much 'concentrating on relaxing' will bring back the fun and help the swing.

Totally agree on the not keeping score......although I usually get 1/2 way round and regret this decision as I'm playing well!!

Back