Best US Golfer right now?

PhillyV

Original Ass-Cap : G15' & G18'
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
i know steve stricker is the highest ranked american player, but is he the best? americans are 5 6 and 7 in the rankings with stricker, phil and dustin johnson but i would say dj right now is the best american player.

i know steve stricker is the highest ranked american player, but is he the best? americans are 5 6 and 7 in the rankings with stricker, phil and dustin johnson but i would say dj right now is the best american player.

Can I ask what makes you say that?

Hard to argue against Stricker and Phil right now based on play. Both of them have wins, both of them are playing well right now.

I'd say Stricker right now. He may not be the 'best' overall but he's the best r'ight now'

California Kid!!! Nick Watney. Haha. I'd say at this time it's Stricker though in all seriousness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say Stricker right now. He may not be the 'best' overall but he's the best r'ight now'

I would have to agree with Hanks. Stricker is playing the best right now, whether or not he is the most TALENTED US golfer Im not sure.

It's Stricker. You might not notice his beigeness hanging about the leaderboards, but he's there!

There are a lot of US players coming into a good patch of form at the moment.

Can I ask what makes you say that?

Hard to argue against Stricker and Phil right now based on play. Both of them have wins, both of them are playing well right now.
DJ just has all parts of the game. Super long, great irons and one of the best putters on tour. i agree Stricker and Phil are playing well, but i just feel that when his game is on, DJ is better. Thats all

I guess the question is, what's your definition of "right now". Lefty and DJ have a good week across the pond, so they are the best? Do you remember anything that happened before the British Open?

I'll take Mr. Khaki. Stricker has won 2 of his last for events. 7 of his last 8 are Top 15's. February was the last time he didn't have a top20. He hasn't missed a cut this year. i

Lefty hasn't missed a cut this year. He's got a win. And 6 top 20's.

DJ is all over the place with his finishes....AND HE HASN'T WON! They should name a Six Flags roller coaster after him. LOL

SS DJ PM TOURNAMENT
T4 T9 DNP Hyundai Tourn of Ch
T9 DNP DNP Sony Open
DNP T3 2 Farmers
DNP T29 T29 WM Phoenix
DNP T55 T9 AT&T Pebble Beach
T29 CUT T35 Northern Trust
T33 T33 T17 WGC-Accenture Match Play
T18 2 T55 WGC-Cadillac
DNP CUT T24 Arnold Palmer Invit
T4 DNP 1 Shell Houston
T11 T38 T27 Masters
T13 DNP DNP Zurich Classic
DNP CUT T9 Wells Fargo Champ
T12 T57 T33 THE PLAYERS
DNP T20 DNP Byron Nelson
1 4 T13 Memorial
T19 T23 T54 U.S. Open
1 DNP DNP John Deere Classic
T12 T2 T2 British Open Champ

DJ just has all parts of the game. Super long, great irons and one of the best putters on tour. i agree Stricker and Phil are playing well, but i just feel that when his game is on, DJ is better. Thats all

Seriously?
Have you checked out the PGA Tour stats? He is 158th in putting (strokes gained)

http://www.pgatour.com/players/03/09/25/

DJ has game, but at this point he is more well known for flopping on Sundays than he is being the best player on tour. He has not won in about a year and many believe he is trending backwards rather than forwards.

That iron DJ pushed OB on a layup shot at The Open was atrocious. You can't be a great iron player and do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one, we can't get a consistant guy at the top of the board to save our lives.

I would like to see DJ on the winner's circle this year. but it's Stricker and lefty carrying the flag for the US right now. also, DJ has never been known for his putting. along with his length and if he gets the putting side going, it won't be long before he cracks the top 5.

I hate these best of anything questions. At the moment, I would have to say Stricker. That can change this weekend.

DJ? Putting? That's the one thing holding the guy back from the win he needs. Can't think of a single great putter who kept his hands behind the line of the ball throughout the stroke like he does.

Maybe not the best right now...but I say DJ has the most potential. Outside of a strange "bunker" call and one horrid 2 iron he could be holding two majors right now. ...Of course "could be" is not winning.

Stricker is the best player on tour. As said before, maybe not the most talented, but he is playing the most solid and consistent golf imo.

Phil still has the most talent/potential. He can still put together an amazing round, and then lose it all on a "phil" missed putt. Or, he can just totally suck it up for an entire tournament. But that's Phil.

Maybe not the best right now...but I say DJ has the most potential. Outside of a strange "bunker" call and one horrid 2 iron he could be holding two majors right now. ...Of course "could be" is not winning.

Well that is possibly true.
And outside of 657 women, Tiger Woods might still be at the top.
And outside of a missed 3 foot putt, Phil might have won the Open
And outside of me having large breasts, I might have been a supermodel.
Unfortunately the might haves game is far too common with guys that dont reach potential than with those that do.

And outside of me having large breasts, I might have been a supermodel.Unfortunately the might haves game is far too common with guys that dont reach potential than with those that do.

haha... you also need good bone structure. Curious to know what GG thinks of that?

And outside of me having large breasts, I might have been a supermodel.
Unfortunately the might haves game is far too common with guys that dont reach potential than with those that do.

i agree with you about 75%. the other 25 is that we were saying the same things about phil before the 04 masters

Pretty clear its John Daly, just had a Top 10 finish and he's an "everyman".

DJ has really done nothing to impress me since last year. Bubba has done more than DJ but seems to be trending downward this summer but may pickit up later in the year. Steve, Nick W to me are neck and neck. PM is the fan choice but he really has had an off year for the most part.

Where did that stat come from??? in the current "2011 PGA TOUR STROKES GAINED - PUTTING" Stricker is number 1 and DJ is number 158...

DJ has really done nothing to impress me since last year. Bubba has done more than DJ but seems to be trending downward this summer but may pickit up later in the year. Steve, Nick W to me are neck and neck. PM is the fan choice but he really has had an off year for the most part.

I totally agree with you, but I'd say Stricker is a touch better based on consistency alone.

They need to bring back Shell's wonderful word of golf and put these boys to the test.

Agreed. Couldnt have said it better myself. Overall he may not be the "best", but he currently is playing the best of the Americans.

Well, you are correct. He hits the ball a mile. As far as being one of the best putters on tour, that is just flat out wrong. DJ may have the most potential, but of the three he also has the most potential to blow a lead due to his errant shots and horrid putting.

Back