Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

I think that missing high on the face is going to cause a distance loss with any iron. Some more than others, of course, but especially so with most player's irons.

I think that missing high on the face is going to cause a distance loss with any iron. Some more than others, of course, but especially so with most player's irons.

I agree, I guess it all depends on the person using the club on the amount of loss you will see. Would love to give these a swing

Hawk, one thing I was impressed with was the differences I have seen from my first range session, first round, and range session yesterday. My first couple of shots with these were all line drives, I would adjust, and hit another line drive. After hitting, and hitting some more, I started seeing better ball flight, still not as high as I would like, but better. Carry that over to my first round, and I was seeing some great height on my shots, and felt overall more comfortable swinging the V2s. Carry those firs two times to my range session yesterday, and see that I am able to really hone in on getting high ball flight + work on accuracy. As much as I wish I could just pick these up and game them without missing a beat, that's not going to happen for me. There will be growing pains, and I will have my moments of brilliance with them, as well as my share of dufffs.

Like Yoccos said, thats the beauty of long term testing. I can work with them, grow with them, and hopefully, if they fit my game well enough, continue to get better with them.

War Eagle I'm still kind of new to the site so I'm guessing that the clubs sent to you are standard set up? my question is with your regular clubs that you played before were they fitted? maybe a dumb question still learning the ropes here.

War Eagle I'm still kind of new to the site so I'm guessing that the clubs sent to you are standard set up? my question is with your regular clubs that you played before were they fitted? maybe a dumb question still learning the ropes here.

Yes, the clubs that were sent to me were standard set up from Wilson/Staff. My current set of Burner 2.0s are standard as well. I had not had the opportunity to get them fitted as of yet.

I have always hit clubs "off the shelf" quite well, but intend to get fitted for both sets.

I dont think there is a case where you wouldnt see that. Although I would gander there would be more of a distance loss on these then say the Di11s

Yes, the clubs that were sent to me were standard set up from Wilson/Staff. My current set of Burner 2.0s are standard as well. I had not had the opportunity to get them fitted as of yet.

I have always hit clubs "off the shelf" quite well, but intend to get fitted for both sets.

I'd get the Wilsons adjusted and then compare. But you see a difference once you get fit.

Kongfrontation

You 3 testers are doing a great job! I have caught up with most of the thread and I am very impressed with what I am reading/seeing. I love the pics and awesome videos! I love the way the 4i and 5i sound at impact in your videos Hawk.

I must say that I have never swung a W/S club, but I have a feeling that will change after these are released. I love the look of these irons and I can't wait to swing some.

I dont think there is a case where you wouldnt see that. Although I would gander there would be more of a distance loss on these then say the Di11s

Absolutely. These are not designed to be forgiving like that.

I'd get the Wilsons adjusted and then compare. But you see a difference once you get fit.

Kongfrontation

I'm planning on doing this soon as I finally have a reputable person to assist me.

You 3 testers are doing a great job! I have caught up with most of the thread and I am very impressed with what I am reading/seeing. I love the pics and awesome videos! I love the way the 4i and 5i sound at impact in your videos Hawk.

I must say that I have never swung a W/S club, but I have a feeling that will change after these are released. I love the look of these irons and I can't wait to swing some.

Thanks, DD. I would definitely recommend checking them out. Like everything, they won't be for everybody, but they are really a great package for those looking for this type of iron.

Thanks DD. Prior to this testing, I had never hit a W/S either. Not really by choice, but more due to not being able to get a set to demo. It's been fun so far, and really looking forward to getting more and more comfortable with these irons.

HAWK is on fire with testing lately! I think we just need to put all of his testing from this set in the examples thread.

Thanks for saying that, dmb. I'm impressed by war.eagle's feedback and Howzat has just begun his review, but had some excellent first thoughts and pictures. This is something I love to do and I appreciate that you say that!

Thanks for saying that, dmb. I'm impressed by war.eagle's feedback and Howzat has just begun his review, but had some excellent first thoughts and pictures. This is something I love to do and I appreciate that you say that!

Not trying to get off topic, but you are bringing it with every post. I think everybody else is doing a great job, but you have really stepped it up with this thread.

Sorry for skimming, but have any of you guys that are testing decided to bag the 3i? How easy is it to get in the air for this kind of iron?

Tempo, timing, tapping.

Sorry for skimming, but have any of you guys that are testing decided to bag the 3i? How easy is it to get in the air for this kind of iron?

Tempo, timing, tapping.

I am not bagging it at the time. I actually hit it ok, but I don't have a spot for it in my bag if I want to stay within the rules.

Tadashi - I do not believe that I hit my 5 iron as high as war.eagle after looking at his vids in HD. The other irons seemed comparable to me, but it's tough to tell.

Thanks for the feedback. All testers Keep up the great reports looking forward to see how everyone grows accustom to the new Irons. They have a real nice Look .

Today was the first day I haven't swung the V2's since I got them. I already have my plans together for a range session tomorrow and can't wait.

Tempo, timing, tapping.

I have hit it on the range, but did not game it during my round. I had some success in getting the ball into the air, but was not pleased with the way I was hitting the ball with it. I much preferred to hit the 4 iron and then transition to my 3h.

A 3 iron is not a club I usually look to during my round, and I do not currently carry one in my current set up.

I will try to get you some feedback on further results I see with it.

Today was the first day I haven't swung the V2's since I got them. I already have my plans together for a range session tomorrow and can't wait.

I was headed to the range after work today Hawk, and I was promptly greeted with a Florida afternoon shower. First day I haven't hit them as well.

I'm similar, I wrote out a detailed testing plan for the next few days.

Hey Hawk, one thing I'd like to ask you about.

The age old argument on these boards has been whether a "players" iron can help you improve your ball striking more than when you game more of a GI type iron. If I recall correctly, you've been pretty firmly in the camp that playing a less forgiving, more feedback giving iron will not improve your ability to hit your irons overall.

Now that you are playing more of a "player's" iron than your past several sets of clubs, do you still feel this way? Have the V2s helped you with your ball striking in any way? Has the feedback helped you fine tune anything in your swing?

The age old argument on these boards has been whether a "players" iron can help you improve your ball striking more than when you game more of a GI type iron. If I recall correctly, you've been pretty firmly in the camp that playing a less forgiving, more feedback giving iron will not improve your ability to hit your irons overall.

Now that you are playing more of a "player's" iron than your past several sets of clubs, do you still feel this way? Have the V2s helped you with your ball striking in any way? Has the feedback helped you fine tune anything in your swing?

Solid Q right there G4L, I'm curious of this as well, I just wouldn't have been able to word it to make as much sense as you did! lol

Tempo, timing, tapping.

I plan on starting 5-PW just like my current set. I think I will add the 4 iron at some point. Not sure that I will be able to game the 3 iron on a regular basis but do plan to have it in the bag for a round or two.

That is a tough question. Right to the point and I like it!

I still do not believe that iron like this will inherently make me a better ball striker. I think the only way to do that is taking lessons or being blessed with the ability to self diagnose a bad swing and know what is needed to fix it.

I do think that an iron like this causes a person to put a critical eye on what they are doing. For example, I never really thought about missing high on the face in the rough with the Redlines as the distance loss wasn't quite as penalizing. Now I know that I need to hit the center of the face (with these irons) or I'm going to be quite short. Does that make me a better ball striker? No. Does it make me want to be a better ball striker? Yes!

I hope that answers your question!

Today I had an iron fitting at Golftec. Keep in mind we had to “game” some of the numbers as the Wilson FG Tour V2’s as they are not in the system as they have not be released.

Before we started my Coach Jeff took the 6 irons from my current set and the V2’s to have the loft and lie checked as well as the shaft frequency tested. My current set were 2* up and standard Mizuno loft as I expected. The Wilson was 0.5* up and the loft was actually 2.5* stronger than the Mizuno’s. I don’t think we have specs yet from Wilson on these but I was expecting the loft to me on par with the Mizuno’s.

What I found more interesting than the loft/lie was the testing of the shaft frequency. My Mizuno’s with the DG S300’s came in right in the middle of stiff as expected. The V2’s with the KBS stiff shaft when frequency tested actually registered as X-stiff. We did not have a chance to test the rest of the set as the club making section was closing so I am not sure if this was a one off thing or a characteristic of the whole set.

A little background on the Golftec process. It starts with a static fitting and then a dynamic fitting. My current set of Mizuno MP 53’s were used as a baseline for testing. After several swings the Golftec computers send data to a company in Florida called Swing Labs. The Swing Labs computers match my swing characteristics and send back a list of irons that would suit my game.
Of those irons we choose the Ping Anser and Taylor Made Burner 2.0’s to test against my MP 53’s and the FG Tour V2’s.

To be continued….

I do think that an iron like this causes a person to put a critical eye on what they are doing. For example, I never really thought about missing high on the face in the rough with the Redlines as the distance loss wasn't quite as penalizing. Now I know that I need to hit the center of the face (with these irons) or I'm going to be quite short. Does that make me a better ball striker? No. Does it make me want to be a better ball striker? Yes!

I think that is well said Hawk. I've experienced the same things as I've been going between GI and GE irons.

Back