SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

I used my SCOR wedges a ton this past weekend. I had some great shots with them and some not so great shots. The wind was a factor on saturday and I was not bringing that into play. It really hurt my game. Thats a user error. Everyone at the Ga outing that hit them really liked them and liked the feel.

Bad Shots-

par 3 down hill. Played to about 140. I played my 41* choked down. I put a HORRIBLE swing on it and hit it so far out on the toe that I should have missed the ball. I ended up a yard from the green on the line I had picked. THis was such a horrible shot with such a great result. I showed the guys I was playing with where I hit the ball on the face and we couldnt believe it.

I had a couple of times where I was trying to be cute and take a lot off of my swing. These resulted in really chunky shots that went NOWHERE! When I would just swing the club and trust it, my results showed.

The good-

there are a lot more good.....

Par 4. hit my drive just short of a bunker and it rolled back down a hill almost in some water. It was about 145 out with a crazy side/up hill lie. I knew the ball was gonna go left so I aimed right of the pin and hit it to about 8 feet.

Another par 4- just short of the green for my 3rd shot, I told the guys I was gonna play a bump and run. I hit it perfect and finished about 4 feet from the pin. Used my 53 there with a nice check up.

shot of the weekend with the SCOR...so after catching all this hell about me having SCOR wedges we were playing a 4 on 3 scramble. I am just shy of the green and my playing partners had put us on the green with a decent little putt. I got 2 shots at it because we only had 3 guys...so, I go and flippin duff the first one trying to be all cute. everyone laughs and then I drain the 2nd one. Our team wins.

Overall, I am still loving the SCORs. I have a feeling they will be in the bag for a LOOONG time.

The first shot had me laughing, but then really impressed. I know that shot and it's cool to hear you still were in a good spot.

Great update One-T, I love the sounds of these wedges, but i suppose I'm still unconvinced as to replacing my irons with more scor wedges. I know I will at some point be adding a SW and LW and maybe a GW Scor wedge to my bag, but do the testers feel like the scor wedges are better than the irons they had in the bag? If you did want to go with 4 or 5 scor wedges, do you think you would have to build your bag around them? Say decide on your 4 or 5 scor wedges, then what hybrids you want, and then order your irons to fit the rest of the gaps?

Sorry for so many questions but I am really intrigued by the wedges.

Great update One-T, I love the sounds of these wedges, but i suppose I'm still unconvinced as to replacing my irons with more scor wedges. I know I will at some point be adding a SW and LW and maybe a GW Scor wedge to my bag, but do the testers feel like the scor wedges are better than the irons they had in the bag? If you did want to go with 4 or 5 scor wedges, do you think you would have to build your bag around them? Say decide on your 4 or 5 scor wedges, then what hybrids you want, and then order your irons to fit the rest of the gaps?

Yes if I was using CB's for irons. People love taking wedge shots are getting it in really close. Why not extend your wedge line into your iron line to make that scoring zone larger? Effectively trick yourself into more confident shot making.
If I was building from scratch it would be putter, then wedges, irons, hybrids and woods in that order. Alternatively I would find the iron set I want, see what irons I didn't hit well and see if they could be replaced by hybrids. Then I would know what irons I actually needed for the custom order and fill the SCOR's and hybrids in around them.

I thought I remembered reading that these were going to be more widely available than the Eidolons. Are they going to be in big box stores?

I thought I remembered reading that these were going to be more widely available than the Eidolons. Are they going to be in big box stores?

I think that would be a major challenge given the customization factor and that they offer 21 different lofts of clubs.

I got the chance to hit the SCORE wedges this weekend. I loved them from my little experience with them! They just feel good.

The first shot had me laughing, but then really impressed. I know that shot and it's cool to hear you still were in a good spot.

It was a humorous shot man. I have my balls marked with a line...there was a black line as far out on the toe as you can get. wow.

ST answered this very well. I love the concept and I personally have bought into it. I would go wedges, irons, hybrids, woods

You guys are doing some great work in here. This whole philosophy has me interested and I can totally see the benefit of dialling in the irons in the 'scoring zone'.
In saying that, I still think it's a big jump for someone to buy into this, and to replace their shorter irons. Anything up to 3 wedges should be an easier sell - but this idea is right out there on the cutting edge and I like it.

I love the concept but I'd say that's a pretty fair assesement Paulo. I've had it in for traditional sets for awhile between where wedges fit, why carry a wood at all and always liking combo sets so the SCOR concept has really grabbed me. However we've seem some rather open minded THPer's scratch their heads a time or two about the wedge/iron blending and I can't blame them one bit. It's a bit of a paradigm shift in the scoring game and if THPer's, who are rather knowledgeable and open minded on the whole, are doing some head scratching I wonder how the concept will grab the general public. I've seen a couple comments about having them in big box stores and I can't decide if I like that idea or not. On one hand it opens them up to a large audience which is great. On the other hand it exposes themselves to sales staff who might not want to get the concept or doesn't buy into it. I can easily see people jumping on board to use as their wedges and maybe the pitching wedge replacement, it's the 9 iron change that really seems to be the kicker so far.

The SCORs will be replacing my Redlines. The Redlines may go a little further, 2-3 yards maybe, haven't lasered a good average yet. That is meaningless to me. I just need to know how far they go and have the right lofts going into the rest of my irons.

This is not an all inclusive list. Just hitting on some things that are causing me to switch out the Redlines.

Pros to the Redline PW and GW

1. They fit seamlessly into the rest of my set as far as looks go.
2. Accuracy is good.
3. Forgiveness and feel is consistent throughout the set.
4. Spin is adequate.

Cons to the Redlines

1. Not versatile.
2. Tendency to balloon on me.
3. Can get hot shots that go farther than expected.
4. Controlling trajectory can be tricky.

Pros to the SCOR 45 and 50

1. As forgiving as the Redlines.
2. Far more versatile.
3. Better out of bad lies.
4. Controlling trajectory is fairly simple.
5. True distances.
6. Gap extremely well with each other.
7. Accuracy is very good.
8. Spin is far better than the Redlines.
9. Shotmaking is much easier.

Cons to the SCOR 45 and 50

1. Different look at address.
2. hmm....

Building from the highest lofted club on down makes so much sense to me now. When I break my rounds down I rely heavily on short irons and wedges. Unless I am shooting lights out and hitting tons of greens the SCORs get a big workload. That said, SCORs don't go all the way down to 19 degrees so some compromise has to be made. Knowing that 8I - 9I distance is key. If in doubt go with a stronger SCOR by 1 degree as you transition into the irons. If nothing else this brings them into play earlier on the hole and gives that piece of mind your gap will be playable off the irons.

It's a tough concept to swallow given how things are marketed and sold to us. I am all in and I think it will improve my scores in the long run.

And One T, nice write up. Like how you point out committing to the SCORs and your shot is the way to go.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it is equally important to know the distance of the lowest lofted SCOR one would want. Some trial and error may be required.

Last edited:

I think that would be a major challenge given the customization factor and that they offer 21 different lofts of clubs.

The quick answer - yes, we are actively growing our distribution through select golf professionals and retail. The simplest analogy to how we believe golf equipment should be sold is the Dell Computer model...like Dell, we don't sell "stock" equipment. Everything we sell is custom built and made-to-order. Our tour-level build process turns out the tightest tolerances in the business in less than 72 hours. We can have a custom built set in your golf bag in as little as 4 days. The fitting experience will be somewhat of a personal demo day...using our SCOR Golf Short Game Fitting System. Series of demo clubs with different shafts, lofts and flexes. We fit your gaps, find the right feel for your liking, determine your specs and get your set into production.

The long answer - we've created SCOR Golf as a crusade for better short games. Terry's 30 years of short game research and product development has gone into the creation of this product and company. We believe every golfer plays golf to shoot lower scores...and we know the short game is where birdies are made and pars are saved. But, as good as SCOR4161 is, it is not the only part of the equation. Combined with golfer conviction to learning proper short game technique and practice, SCOR4161 will help any golfer shoot lower scores. Thus, as a company, not only are we committed to manufacturing the best equipment for your short game, we're also committed to helping you learn how to use it. Our products are only sold through golf professionals that teach the game and are experienced fitters...they will help finish the learning / practice equation. Additionally, in the coming months...you will find our SCOR Zone Blog...filled with short game content.

The quick answer - yes, we are actively growing our distribution through select golf professionals and retail. The simplest analogy to how we believe golf equipment should be sold is the Dell Computer model...like Dell, we don't sell "stock" equipment. Everything we sell is custom built and made-to-order. Our tour-level build process turns out the tightest tolerances in the business in less than 72 hours. We can have a custom built set in your golf bag in as little as 4 days. The fitting experience will be somewhat of a personal demo day...using our SCOR Golf Short Game Fitting System. Series of demo clubs with different shafts, lofts and flexes. We fit your gaps, find the right feel for your liking, determine your specs and get your set into production.

The long answer - we've created SCOR Golf as a crusade for better short games. Terry's 30 years of short game research and product development has gone into the creation of this product and company. We believe every golfer plays golf to shoot lower scores...and we know the short game is where birdies are made and pars are saved. But, as good as SCOR4161 is, it is not the only part of the equation. Combined with golfer conviction to learning proper short game technique and practice, SCOR4161 will help any golfer shoot lower scores. Thus, as a company, not only are we committed to manufacturing the best equipment for your short game, we're also committed to helping you learn how to use it. Our products are only sold through golf professionals that teach the game and are experienced fitters...they will help finish the learning / practice equation. Additionally, in the coming months...you will find our SCOR Zone Blog...filled with short game content.

Thanks for all the info! I'm just eagerly awaiting the day these are available for lefties. They will likely be in my bag shortly after that.

So cool that SCOR are keeping up with the testing!

Thanks for that response Shawn, really clears things up with regard to the future availability. I guess having the correct fitting tool in stores will take a lot of the human element out of it (a good thing, considering some salespeople I've encountered), so you can be sure your product is fit perfectly.

I love the bold statement "SCOR4161 will help any golfer shoot lower scores." Confidence in the whole methodology really shines through. I hope this takes off like it deserves to, it's definitely a 'new' market segment for most golfers!

Thanks, Shawn. I figured you might be able to clarify that a little. I think that's a smart way to handle distribution since your product seems to be so reliant on gapping/fitting.

Different testing SCORs came in today. Shot this video while I have all the SCORs together to better describe how these clubs are designed. Don't see this level of design in most wedges out there. Amazing how the transition from 43 to 60 progresses. Check it out...

Pictures didn't cut it here and I think the video does a much better job illustrating the characteristics of the lofts. Couldn't be more pleased with the delivery once again. Sad to see the 45 50 60 go, but the 43 47 51 55 58 will let me give a better test. The lofts suit me and I will explain why in the next post or two. After shooting this vid I can see why the SCORs are so forgiving. As the loft decreases the perimeter weighting increases. I knew this as soon as I got the initial SCORs and examined them. To see the 43 next to 45 is telling and reinforces what I had observed when the testing began.

SCOR's dedication to the golfer is incredible. Yes they care about their hardware, but what's more important to them is the individual. That this new test set is here pretty much says all that needs to be said.

That's a great video Griff. You were really able to show the perimeter weighting differences well in that. Good Job. Can't wait to see how your comfort level changes with the 58.

Nice video griff, can really see the difference in the construction in each club head. I hope the new set-up works better for you; I'm rethinking some of my gaps as well lately and will be looking at these over the off season.

That's a great video Griff. I agree that it's pretty hard to show the difference in the scalop weighting in pictures alone. We're now rocking the same lofts barring the last one (59 for me) and I think you're going to be suprised by the 58. I thought the same about the 59 when it came, that it was likely going to be for emergency escape or shortsided shots, that's not proven to be the case. I have worked pretty hard with it to expand my distance comfort level with it though but still.

I quite excited to see how you get on with the 43 and 47 blending into your irons this time around.

Thanks guys.

Got a little golf in today and things went better than expected. As usual I didn't get to everything I had planned, but I got the major goals accomplished.

Hope to have some stuff up in the next day or so.

I'm looking forward to checking that video out, griff. It just seems like so much thought went into this line of clubs.

I played a round with ChunkyLover77 on Sunday. Unfortunately I forgot to put my notepad back in my bag, so I have to write my review of the round from memory. Not my strong suit but I'll give it a shot.

On the first hole I hit a big sweeping push slice, that left me behind some trees, but far enough away from them that I had a shot at the green from 135. I hit 9 iron, and caught it clean, flying the ball over the green, and into the rough off the back left edge. The ball was sitting down in the thick (not yet dormant) bermuda. I chose to pitch on with my 60, and got the ball out clean but shorter than I wanted, leaving a 12-15 foot putt. Bogey

Hole number two on the day is a par three. I played the par threes (6 of them on the course) at +8 for the round. Sounds kind of bad huh? And I actually parred one of them. YUP, I stunk it up on the Par 3's all day.
I hit 7 iron if I remember right, and caught it so far out on the toe that I nearly missed the ball. The shot flew straight as an arrow, but came up 10 yards short of the uphill green. I chipped on this time with my 50. I have been having some serious distance control issues chipping with the 45 and 50, driving them all well passed the hole. I overcompensated and left it woefully short and left, leaving 30 feet to the cup. Two putts later I was down for bogey, and glad of it.

#3 is a par 5. I hit driver, and ended about 8 feet from where CL hit his driver. We both hit our layups, intentionally short of the green, and again we were only separated by a few feet. I wish I could remember the distance to the green exactly, but it seems we were in the 55-60 yard neighborhood. I only say that because I know I hit my 60 choked down an inch, and put a beautiful swing on it, leaving 6 feet or so to the cup. I jarred the putt for Da' BIRD! I don't get many of those, and to play the hole literally side by side with CL, I was pretty friken' proud. The fact that I hit a near perfect 60* made it that much the better.

Four is a dogleg left, with the dogleg too close to the teebox to warrant driver, or three wood. I hit my 4H and frankly hit a pretty miserable shot. It went straight, but the 4H used to be a very confident club for me. That confidence is waning. Fortunately, I only hit it terribly short, and not terribly crooked as well. The ball found the center of the fairway leaving me miles to the green, but with a straight shot at it. I hit a mid iron that came up short and right leaving me a pitch over a bunker to an elevated green with a back pin. This time I hit the 55. The ball checked up much harder than I anticipated. I had like a two inch long pitch mark... Ever tried fixing one of those? The spin these wedges creates is incredible! I bogeyed the hole... Get used to that, I do a lot of it.

#5 is another par 3 that I butchered. Playing 186 to the flag that day, I think, I hit 6 iron and again caught the ball out on the toe. That was the theme of the day with mid-irons. I left the ball short and right of the green with an unhindered bump, and run at the flag. From 60+ feet I chose the 45, and again, I left it ridiculously short. 2-putts for bogey.

Hole number 6 has completely vanished from the memory banks... Sorry.

#7. I remember #7. I hit a push off the tee just into the right rough. I had a pretty good lie with the ball sitting up slight and I was 230 out from an elevated green. I chose to hit 3W, knowing I had to nuke it (mistake #1) to have any chance at the green. The ball was below my feet (mistake #2) but I had a couple nice practice swings, increasing my confidence (mistake #3?). I topped the ball badly and ended up just BARELY short of a hazard. So close in fact that I had to pull the hazard stake from the ground to be able to make a swing. I hit my 55 to the uphill green out of the rough from 30 yards or so. A decent shot given the circumstances but far from great. I three putted for a 6.

Eight is another par 3 that I hosed, and I have deleted.

But 9 is one that is indelibly seared into my brain. Pay attention 2012 outing attendees...
9 is a slight dogleg right, that given my recent propensity to hit pushes and slices "should" be right in my wheelhouse. I HATE seeing a fade/slice more than just about anything else in my game. I figured I could put a 3W out there far enough to get me home safely in two. As I stepped over the ball, having seen the others all hit driver I was concerned about the distance I was giving up. I promptly topped the ball, and it didn't even make it off the tee box, traveling maybe 30 feet. Head hung in shame, I asked if I could hit a second... No one had a problem with it, so I stepped over the 2nd ball and forced myself to put the first "swing" out of my mind. My mulligan was the best ball I hit all day with anything longer than a wedge. My approach came up short and right, into the bunker. I need to work on my bunker game... I got the ball out but just barely. In the end I carded a 6 after the mulligan.

I have burned more brain cells recounting that 9 than in did in my misbegotten youth, so I'm going to wrap this up.

There were times during this round that I felt fantastic with my performance with the SCOR clubs. In fact after several nice short shots with them, the two that did not know me called me "a short game wizard". There were also shots during the round with the wedges that I just plain butchered. I came away from the day knowing that I hit successful shots that I never would have tried before. The 60* into #3 is perhaps the best shot I have ever played with a 60 in my life. I still need to work on the short game, but each round with these clubs raises my confidence immeasurably.

Love the feedback Md! Spin on the SCORs takes some getting used to and I have left some short because of unexpected spin. I am getting the hang of it and it's allowing me to be more aggressive around the greens. Spin is also saving me on those short sided shots and bunker shots that I need a high level of control.

griff, I just watch that video you posted. Man, I think everybody here should rep you for that. You really just blew me away with some incredible info there. It's wild to see the difference in weighting. I've never seen anything like that. WOW. That ruled dude.

griff, I just watch that video you posted. Man, I think everybody here should rep you for that. You really just blew me away with some incredible info there. It's wild to see the difference in weighting. I've never seen anything like that. WOW. That ruled dude.

Thanks Hawk! SCOR has done a great job with these clubs. Being able to see the design so clearly will hopefully help some folks understand how these are different from other products out there.

Back