I have done it both ways myself, but if you are using translucent colors, you pretty much have to remove that old crap.

True, good thing I've always done solid colors lol

tapatalk addict....

Finally got a chance to start this project. The acetone on cotton swab/cotton ball was not removing old paint so I used a club brush with the acetone and it started to come off.

Push pins and even toothpicks have worked for me in the past. Really worked well in tough to get spots.

Finally got a chance to start this project. The acetone on cotton swab/cotton ball was not removing old paint so I used a club brush with the acetone and it started to come off.

I was told that nail polish remover actually had a stronger acetone concentration than the acetone from home depot. Just finished the lettering on my Scotty Cameron Newport from red to black and the instructions worked great. my only problem is finding translucent paint for the dots. .?? Any suggestions

Push pins and even toothpicks have worked for me in the past. Really worked well in tough to get spots.
Today I used toothpicks and even a straight pin from my wife's sewing kit.

Great idea man! I am going to have to remember that one. I hope you are wearing eye protection though.
Good idea- wish I had worn gloves as well, worn my fingers to the bone!!

I was told that nail polish remover actually had a stronger acetone concentration than the acetone from home depot. Just finished the lettering on my Scotty Cameron Newport from red to black and the instructions worked great. my only problem is finding translucent paint for the dots. .?? Any suggestions

When I went to the hobby store and found the Testors paint I found clear red And clear blue just like Scotty uses, it is made by Tamiya. Cost was 3.10 per bottle

Well, here's what I've managed so far. This is my first crack at this paint fill task- I decided to do a wedge in purple/gold for my college roommate for finding LSU-Bama tickets for us. The first 2 pics are what I started with and the next 2 are the current look of the club. I will try the purple/gold paint fill sometime in the next week and post updated pics.
Spoiler

nike2.jpg

nike.jpg

nik3.jpg

nike4.jpg

Nice work Mtiger looks good

I really need to get going on my putter! Maybe tonight but I cannot get the paint out for the life of me.

I have a question about using acetone to clean up the club. You can see my current progress in the pic below. After it dries overnight how do I keep the acetone from dripping into paint fill areas and removing my fresh paint? I obviously need to clean up around the edges.

916f587e.jpg

I just put it directly on the rag and then rubbed the club with the rag.

I can't believe how easy that was!! Took your advice and just rubbed over with a rag and no damage to new fresh paint fill. Think I will be trying this again soon. Finished product
2dc8bbf8.jpg

a87328f2.jpg

That's some damn nice work there. I have to show this to my LSU fanboy buddy at work.

mtiger, very nice work! Looks good my friend!

Unfortunately, at this time I can not look at anything that resembles LSU colors, still in mourning over here. LOL.

I've been practicing on some old irons and feel really good with the results. I'm ready to do my wedges now, but I want to buff them out first. Does anyone have any reccomendations on the best way? They are satin chrome CG-15s

mtiger..that looks great, I've seen where you've been pondering doing this on here and I'm glad it turned out so well! Great Job!

I want to buff them out first. Does anyone have any reccomendations on the best way? They are satin chrome CG-15s

If you want to maintain the satin look then try a scotchbrite pad. If you want them shiny, use several different grades of wet and dry paper and finish off with some metal polish. If you have a polishing wheel, even better!

If you want to maintain the satin look then try a scotchbrite pad. If you want them shiny, use several different grades of wet and dry paper and finish off with some metal polish. If you have a polishing wheel, even better!
Thanks Homerdog, I'll give it a spin on the polishing wheel

I think I'm going to do this after it snows. Seems like a fun little project to make a depressing Saturday a bit more enjoyable.

I can't believe how easy that was!! Took your advice and just rubbed over with a rag and no damage to new fresh paint fill. Think I will be trying this again soon. Finished product
2dc8bbf8.jpg

a87328f2.jpg

that looks pretty sweet. I'm going to do more painting soon. It's definitely a fun little project.

That wedge looks gooooood mtiger!

Awesome thread some good work on here....

This thread gives me so many ideas. Awesome wedge there mtiger

Finally got around to doing mine. Just some touches of yellow on the irons. I had sent out my Scotty to get customized and didn't like the yellow they used, so changed it to match the rest.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back