OEM Kevin's driver swing!

Kmac

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Well, I'll try my luck over here since Ive struck out in the ask the pro section or maybe the pro is on vacation. Here is a driver swing video. Fire away with tips and anything you see Im doing wrong which with how Im hitting driver is a lot

Kevin..I'm not about to try to analyze your swing because I am not trained to do it but I thought I would share some tips I got from my lesson last week that have really helped me.

I had started hitting a fade with my driver again and the ball flight was starting out to the left and then coming back right. I was losing a ton of distance and it just kept getting worse and worse. After hitting one ball my pro talked to me about swing path and how it affects ball flight. It didn't take me but a second to realize I was swinging out/in instead of in/out. I remembered a drill he had me do earlier this year where I placed a plastic basket just outside of my swing path which forced me to swing on the proper in/out path. I imagined swinging out to right field. I immediately started drilling the ball straight down the middle and long. I have played twice since then and I am hitting the best drives I have hit in a long time. There is no longer any fade at all and I hit 100% fairways yesterday at a course with tight fairways.

He has me set the ball up more towards the toe of my driver, make sure I have my body square (especially my left shoulder pulled in since I tend to leave it open), and I try to hit the inside corner of the ball (I use the logo as a target).

He really made me think about what could be going wrong depending on the shot shapes I am hitting.

Thanks for the info Kelly, Im open to anything and everything at this point. My drives are going straight or out to the right and then fading even further right. And really really short. My last round I used driver I could hit the 5 or 4 iron past my drives. And then it started with my 3W and hybrid too.

So this basket drill. You set it the basket up outside your swing path and behind you?

I wish my swing looked like yours. Wish I could help, but I pretty much play an ugly slice with ok results, that wouldn't help you much.

I have been using the same drill to work on my out to in swing. You can use any object you like, and set it up where you have just enough room to get your club by on your takeaway, that way if you come from the outside at all you will know it.

Thanks for the info Kelly, Im open to anything and everything at this point. My drives are going straight or out to the right and then fading even further right. And really really short. My last round I used driver I could hit the 5 or 4 iron past my drives. And then it started with my 3W and hybrid too.

So this basket drill. You set it the basket up outside your swing path and behind you?

He just had me use the plastic basket that the range balls come in. I've seen other people just use a tee or something. That may be easier. You just need something to keep you from going outside/in. I put the basket a couple feet behind the ball, set my driver up on it, swung back and then inside the basket back to the ball. After doing it a while, you can imagine that basket there and it forces you to the inside of the ball instead of the outside.

There was an article in Golf Digest in the last month or two about not being afraid to swing to the side you're missing to. For example, OG has a big hook for a miss so it said he should swing to the left even though he may be afraid it will make the ball go that way. In my case, I should swing out to the right. OG's teacher has taught him to swing around to the left and it has helped him tremendously when my coach has taught me the opposite.

Found this on you tube.. not sure if it is what you guys are talking about....

[YOUTUBE]vd4rbCr706o[/YOUTUBE]

Ok I'll try that to see if helps out my weak slice. Earlier in the year I had a nasty hook so I was aiming way right and now Im completely opposite aiming way left lol. But now Ive lost all my distance.

Your swing looks really good. You said it was a weak fade you were having? I can't immediately see any problems. Only things I can think of are that you aren't closing the club face (could be grip or ball position). One other thing is that you may not be getting through the ball enough, but it is hard to tell from the behind angle. But your swing looks really good dude.

Found this on you tube.. not sure if it is what you guys are talking about....

[YOUTUBE]vd4rbCr706o[/YOUTUBE]

That looks like the drill except using the driver. You pretty much have to sit the driver on top of the basket and then start your back swing from there and then swing down inside of the basket to the ball. Thanks!

Ok I'll try that to see if helps out my weak slice. Earlier in the year I had a nasty hook so I was aiming way right and now Im completely opposite aiming way left lol. But now Ive lost all my distance.

I promise you this fix added at least 30 yards back to my weak drives. I was cutting across the ball terribly. I knew better but old habits keep haunting me despite ongoing lessons.

Try out the Vision Track. It seriously worked for me with the rights. It also helps me dial back the lefts if they get serious.

Your swing looks really good. You said it was a weak fade you were having? I can't immediately see any problems. Only things I can think of are that you aren't closing the club face (could be grip or ball position). One other thing is that you may not be getting through the ball enough, but it is hard to tell from the behind angle. But your swing looks really good dude.

Thanks dude. I feel like its not that bad either but my driver results have been awful for the last two months. High, weak, short slice. I think it might be that last part, not getting through the ball. Falling back on old habits and doing all arms again. Right arm up, right hip back and then fire the right hip through is what Im working on.

That looks like the drill except using the driver. You pretty much have to sit the driver on top of the basket and then start your back swing from there and then swing down inside of the basket to the ball. Thanks!

I promise you this fix added at least 30 yards back to my weak drives. I was cutting across the ball terribly. I knew better but old habits keep haunting me despite ongoing lessons.
Next thing you're gonna tell us that you've done some forearm exercises! hehehe

Thanks dude. I feel like its not that bad either but my driver results have been awful for the last two months. High, weak, short slice. I think it might be that last part, not getting through the ball. Falling back on old habits and doing all arms again. Right arm up, right hip back and then fire the right hip through is what Im working on.

That's what I was thinking because that would explain the hook you had earlier this year. A lot of people who don't get through it well flip their wrists at it and hook it. Best of luck with your fix!

Try out the Vision Track. It seriously worked for me with the rights. It also helps me dial back the lefts if they get serious.

I'll have to look into the Vision Track then because I need some help. Hawk seal of approval!

I'll have to look into the Vision Track then because I need some help. Hawk seal of approval!

I'm 100% serious about it. It works dude. You don't have to think about all the other bs with it. I used to use it for half a range session at least. The other thing for me that makes the rights go away is making sure I finish my backswing. Too often I would find myself halfway done and swinging at the ball.

Kevin, watch your practice swing, and then your swing at the ball. The practice swing is nice and smooth and looks to me like a real nice in to out swing path. Then when you go to hit the ball, you get a little quick with your transition, and then come over the top to the ball. I think if you hit the ball with your practice swing, the ball flight would be great.
Just my .02

I'm 100% serious about it. It works dude. You don't have to think about all the other bs with it. I used to use it for half a range session at least. The other thing for me that makes the rights go away is making sure I finish my backswing. Too often I would find myself halfway done and swinging at the ball.

I do the same thing. One of my rounds recently a guy told me I quit on my swing before I ever got finished.

Kevin, watch your practice swing, and then your swing at the ball. The practice swing is nice and smooth and looks to me like a real nice in to out swing path. Then when you go to hit the ball, you get a little quick with your transition, and then come over the top to the ball. I think if you hit the ball with your practice swing, the ball flight would be great.
Just my .02

This is all very true. Im just having a hard time putting that same practice swing into play when the ball is down there laughing at me. Probably all in my head but its in there good now. I gotta find a way to get over it though.

8d2f9ed2.jpg
[/IMG]

a886fdb9.jpg
[/IMG]

9c600e51.jpg
[/IMG]

I took screen shots of three positions within you swing. You do a great deal right. You setup nice, good lines. You could concentrate on pulling you right shoulder back just to square yourself up.
Slow you back swing down, no so much that it looks stiff but not so quick that you snatch it back. Give yourself time to set your swing at the top which will allow you to get into your transition back to the ball.
The first frame shows you swing just before impact. Your right elbow should be tucked near you right hip. You arms are very straight, which means you cast the club from the top of your swing. The position of your arms should have the club at more of an angle. The angle is what provides you with power through the swing.
Drill: stand in front of a mirror and set the club at a 90* angle with your arm hanging in front of your body and the club extended at 90* out past your hip. From this position take the club to the top of your swing or until your left should is under your chin. All this should be done with a good flex in your legs and the feeling of you weight on the inside of your right leg. From the top of you swing, pump the club back to the hip. Repeat and watch how you body reacts to this move. Concentrate on tucking the right elbow as you move the club back to the hip.
The second frame is just after impact. Again a result of casting front the top. That left elbow should fold after impact. This will create another 90* angle but on the opposite side of the swing. If you collapse the left elbow it will extend that right arm down the line. This will also get your right shoulder moving under your chin instead of out toward the right of your target. Drill: with the club in front of you at address practice folding the left arm and rolling the right forearm over the left in front of the mirror. This too is a feel drill. In slow motion start the first drill and move into an impact position and then fold the left arm with the forearms rolling over. Get used to the feeling.
Last frame you hips have not quite cleared the impact area. If your weight distribution is correct you belt buckle should be facing the target. Make sure the weight on back swing in supported on the inside of the right leg. This feeling will help you to fire down and through the ball. If you weight gets outside of the area to the otter part of your leg, you will have a hard time firing through the zone.
The biggest thing I want you to take away from this is getting the right elbow closer to your side at impact or just before. Also hold the angle you felt as long as possible. It will release naturally. It's a lot of info and I will post a video of my thought tomorrow if you like.

I do the same thing. One of my rounds recently a guy told me I quit on my swing before I ever got finished.

This is all very true. Im just having a hard time putting that same practice swing into play when the ball is down there laughing at me. Probably all in my head but its in there good now. I gotta find a way to get over it though.

Totally understand.

Driver swings are the worst. Mine's been pretty good the last couple weeks, but it will go away again.

One great tip that I took from my last lesson was this:

"You don't have to swing slow, but remember that the driver is a longer club and it takes longer to swing." That's helped me (at times) remember not to be too fast and to complete my backswing. If I could just remember that all the time. Ugh.

I took screen shots of three positions within you swing. You do a great deal right. You setup nice, good lines. You could concentrate on pulling you right shoulder back just to square yourself up.
Slow you back swing down, no so much that it looks stiff but not so quick that you snatch it back. Give yourself time to set your swing at the top which will allow you to get into your transition back to the ball.
The first frame shows you swing just before impact. Your right elbow should be tucked near you right hip. You arms are very straight, which means you cast the club from the top of your swing. The position of your arms should have the club at more of an angle. The angle is what provides you with power through the swing.
Drill: stand in front of a mirror and set the club at a 90* angle with your arm hanging in front of your body and the club extended at 90* out past your hip. From this position take the club to the top of your swing or until your left should is under your chin. All this should be done with a good flex in your legs and the feeling of you weight on the inside of your right leg. From the top of you swing, pump the club back to the hip. Repeat and watch how you body reacts to this move. Concentrate on tucking the right elbow as you move the club back to the hip.
The second frame is just after impact. Again a result of casting front the top. That left elbow should fold after impact. This will create another 90* angle but on the opposite side of the swing. If you collapse the left elbow it will extend that right arm down the line. This will also get your right shoulder moving under your chin instead of out toward the right of your target. Drill: with the club in front of you at address practice folding the left arm and rolling the right forearm over the left in front of the mirror. This too is a feel drill. In slow motion start the first drill and move into an impact position and then fold the left arm with the forearms rolling over. Get used to the feeling.
Last frame you hips have not quite cleared the impact area. If your weight distribution is correct you belt buckle should be facing the target. Make sure the weight on back swing in supported on the inside of the right leg. This feeling will help you to fire down and through the ball. If you weight gets outside of the area to the otter part of your leg, you will have a hard time firing through the zone.
The biggest thing I want you to take away from this is getting the right elbow closer to your side at impact or just before. Also hold the angle you felt as long as possible. It will release naturally. It's a lot of info and I will post a video of my thought tomorrow if you like.

Dude thats some great info! And yes its a lot haha but some great stuff to work on and it all makes perfect sense. Plus the still shots show exactly what Im doing. Appreciate all that Tadashi and feel free to throw a video in here. Love all these tips.

Dude thats some great info! And yes its a lot haha but some great stuff to work on and it all makes perfect sense. Plus the still shots show exactly what Im doing. Appreciate all that Tadashi and feel free to throw a video in here. Love all these tips.

Wow, Tadashi just gave some great tips. I know I can benefit from them and was just practicing the first one in the house. Good luck with the practice KMac.

I think Tadashi pretty much covered it. I was going to post those exact frames. I saw the following:

1. You are not setting your wrists in the backswing. Ideally, you want about a 90 degree angle between the shaft and your right forearm. Because of your short/quick backswing, you aren't getting there.
2. Partly because of #1, you are releasing your hands way too early (i.e. casting). Since you have so little wrist cock to begin with, there isn't any lag in the club head coming down, which = no power.
3. The frame just prior to impact shows a pretty open club face, which would imply that you are starting the ball to the right and then fading it more due to the casting/over the top move creating slice spin.
3. There is very little lower body move in your downswing. Ideally, at impact, your hips would have rotated toward the target. It seems your swing is almost all arms/shoulders. You have a good shoulder turn, but are failing to generate maximum speed in your downswing by not rotating your lower body.

Back