Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Just joined a new country club today and the pro was showing me around. I was ecstatic to find out that in the lower level of the clubhouse they have a large putting green as well as several mats with large nets to hit into and he said he can hook up the launch monitor for me whenever I'd like to come hit balls this winter. Looks like i've got a new place to get some great winter practice!

Really cool to hear that you have an indoor facility like that. I wish my club had anything of that nature.

Currently, I have to be content to toss weight around the gym like Jay Cutler (Mr. Universe, not skinny QB). Which is fine.

Jealous! I bet you will be there quite regularly! I know you are excited.
How are you jealous? You get to golf outside all year and don't need indoor nets, same as me! But congras INgolfer, that sounds like a great club.

Had only a few hours today so it was an hour of chipping and pitching and an hour of woods/irons. Felt pretty good with my short game work. Long game is yuck. Took a video of the results of my pitching and chipping. All of the balls landed on the green which is better than I usually do. Hopefully that means my work is beginning to pay off.

Glad to see its still working CL. I know we worked on some stuff and it seems to be paying off.

How are you jealous? You get to golf outside all year and don't need indoor nets, same as me! But congras INgolfer, that sounds like a great club.

LOL - you have a point. I don't have a country club like that though....need to count my blessings for what I do have I guess.

Good work Chunky!!!

Nice video Chunky. Some beautiful shots there.

Currently, I have to be content to toss weight around the gym like Jay Cutler (Mr. Universe, not skinny QB). Which is fine.

Sorry there bud but Jay Cutler is Mr. Olympia.

Spent about 2 hours working on chipping and pitching this morning then played 18 holes....short game work is really helping out... Had several holes Where I left myself in gimme range with chips or short pitches.

I stand corrected. Lifting causes me to say and post dumb things haha.

Ha, just thought I'd razz ya there a little bit. I work at a gym and used to compete in fitness competitions right out of high school and Jay Cutler was always one of my favorite bodybuilders.

Anyhow, forgot to mention when I went to sign up at the country club yesterday that I was talking to the pro about the Morgan Cup, he said he had heard about THP before but didn't know much about it so I was telling him about the site and the tournament...he offered to let me come in for a fitting so when it is time to order our clubs I can have them made to my specs. He seems like a really cool guy and I have heard great things about him so I may even take a few lessons from him to help tune up my game.

Had only a few hours today so it was an hour of chipping and pitching and an hour of woods/irons. Felt pretty good with my short game work. Long game is yuck. Took a video of the results of my pitching and chipping. All of the balls landed on the green which is better than I usually do. Hopefully that means my work is beginning to pay off.

Great video Captain! I'm sure the dispersion of those balls will be even smaller once the MC comes around can't wait to see you sticking them close

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the encouragement. What is so awesome about this entire process is that my supposed competition is the one helping me out with my short game. JB gave me some stuff to work on and it is slowly starting to click. I spent 3 hours on the range today. With about 2.5 hours of it on the short game. Really starting to ingrain the swing. Had one awful shot today though that hit a barn. Pretty funny. Loving my TM TR3 true path. Putting is slowly coming along.

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the encouragement. What is so awesome about this entire process is that my supposed competition is the one helping me out with my short game. JB gave me some stuff to work on and it is slowly starting to click. I spent 3 hours on the range today. With about 2.5 hours of it on the short game. Really starting to ingrain the swing. Had one awful shot today though that hit a barn. Pretty funny. Loving my TM TR3 true path. Putting is slowly coming along.

nice work on the chipping Captain Chunk! I'm excited to get my practice started also. With snow on the ground it's kind of hard. But I did order a Birdie ball 18'x4' today for my basement. So hopefully it will be here by the weekend (doubt it) but I will be working on the worst part of my game over winter!

I might need to get some of those short game tips from you there, Chunk. I like all the tips I can get, and if we are going to win the Morgan Cup I think it is going to come down to which team has the best short game because each team has some long hitters!

I have hit a ton of putts that past few days from 6-8 feet and feel very comfortable with my stroke right now. I hit about half with a conventional putter and the other half with a belly putter. Today I was much more consistent with the belly putter. The belly putter forces me to have the correct posture every time and giving me a ton of confidence. It will be interesting to go through the Studio B fitting with an open mind and see what the recommendation is.

Spent about 2 hours on the course today. Sort of a bonus session with decent weather. Temp greens/tees, so no score keeping. For you southerners, temp greens are when they take spray paint and make a circle on the ground and put a flag in the middle of it, usually next to the real green. In other words, the course becomes sort of a real life driving range. I'd find a spot and just hit balls for a while and then move on. Nobody was there so I even hit balls back towards the tee a few times. Different, but it was worth it.

I hit almost all of my clubs, but my main focus today was working on full wedge shots, irons, and pitch shots.

Full wedges:

I wanted to do that because I feel like I still had some questions with where I am with distances before I make equipment selections for the MC. The good news was that I was able to back up my LM numbers on the course. I'm also working on something new - full wedge shots with the 54 an 58. In the past, some of you may have heard me say that I don't take a full swing below 100 yards. I want to change that for a few reasons, one of which is some distance gains I've seen lately. So, I parked in the fairways from 105 to 85 yards out and worked on them. I was pretty pleased with the results in that a good number of my shots were what I'd consider 'quality'.

My main area of focus is just ball first contact. I lose tons of yards if I hit behind the ball (DUH) and my trajectory suffers. I'm seeing a nice piercing ball flight with a well struck shot and getting distances that I like.

Irons:

I was playing a set of irons that were the opposite of what I've played for the last 3 months or so - a lighter shafted GI set. In all honestly, I had some ups and downs with them. I hit some good shots, but felt like I had a little trouble with accuracy. I was seeing some good distances at times, but it wasn't terribly consistent. I think more time/practice with them could change that. Missed 2 hole outs by less than 3 feet with a 9 iron, but again, not really a fair representation of true playing conditions, so I didn't do any fist pumping hehe.

Pitch shots:

I did hit some short chip shots today, but the grass on the temp greens is too long to really get a feel for anything other than ball contact. With that in mind, I just decided to hit pitch shots. I'd park my bag 30-50 yards from the flag and empty my ball pocket hitting at it. Then, I'd hit the balls back to the bag. Did this 4 or 5 times and felt pretty good afterward.

In all, a pretty satisfying day. Felt as confident as I ever have with taking a full wedge swing. The iron swing is something I'll be working hard on with my instructor soon, but it wasn't all that bad.

Wow, well I've had a ton of range time and was feeling really good until I hit the course. I'm going to rethink my approach and prep for the Morgan Cup. But I'll continue to drill the short game and putting until I can figure out the other stuff.

I'm having a hard time finding a good tempo right now on the course. The range I'm able to really take advantage of the wonderful shafts I have and on the course I have no idea. My prep is going to be playing more golf even if its just a couple holes a day. I need to find a membership somewhere!

That's actually a pretty solid idea, Tmex. I think my mindset changes a great deal between a range session and the course.

That's actually a pretty solid idea, Tmex. I think my mindset changes a great deal between a range session and the course.

I think so. I plan on being a putting/short game machine by the MC.

I prepare by putting myself in the same environment as winners. Hence my trip to the Dean Dome.

I prepare by putting myself in the same environment as winners. Hence my trip to the Dean Dome.

Haha, dude I'm going to be hitting you and JB up throughout this week to set up some type of practice and what not. On the brightside dude, my distance is back!

I love seeing the work everyone is putting in. It's pretty inspiring.

Looking forward to the extra long weekend coming up...heading out to the country club I just joined to take advantage of the indoor practice area they have. It is nothing extravagant but it will allow me to work on my swing and keep it fresh through the winter. I will still make trips to the heated outdoor range nearby and the indoor range that is about a half hour away, but other than that I will be spending a lot of time at the course just working on mechanics

I have really been working on taking the club back to just under parallel and balance in the swing. I don't get much range time because it gets dark much too early and the one time I went to the lighted range, it was closed. I watch TV while taking swings with my irons and woods.

Back