How to have fun when playing bad?

Thechosen1

#Thistagwilltravel
Reaction score
Handicap
Just thinking about different ways. Any would be appreciated.

Stop keeping score when you stop having fun. Just play the game.

Take a step back and realize where you are.
The beauty of the surroundings.
The fact that there are thousands of people here at THP that share your passion.
That it only takes one shot to change your outlook.

Take a step back and realize where you are.
The beauty of the surroundings.
The fact that there are thousands of people here at THP that share your passion.
That it only takes one shot to change your outlook.

I do something similar....I will kinda slow things down and really try to be "in the moment"...forget about shots aready spent and think about nothing but the next swing....JB is right....it only takes one "pure shot" to really turn things around.

Just keep playing. I can be playing like crap and still have fun. It is when I start losing golf balls on consecutive shots that I get frustrated.

I used to get PISSED when I played bad, throw clubs, yell, cuss, look like a 3 year old. I saw one day I was making my playing partners not enjoy their round and said, what is wrong with me? I didnt enjoy myself and told myself that I do this for fun, enjoy it. and I have ever since.

I used to get PISSED when I played bad, throw clubs, yell, cuss, look like a 3 year old. I saw one day I was making my playing partners not enjoy their round and said, what is wrong with me? I didnt enjoy myself and told myself that I do this for fun, enjoy it. and I have been a joy to play with ever since.

FIFY buddy.

I stop keeping score and if no one is behind me, ill play a 2nd or 3rd ball. Ill also be on the look out for the beer cart girl.

Stop keeping score when you stop having fun. Just play the game.

Absolutely, as soon as I start to get angry or annoyed I stop scoring.....amazing how quickly my round improves!

As someone who consistently plays bad, I always still enjoy myself. All it takes is reminding myself that no matter how poorly I play, it still beats being at work.

I do a couple of things:

I think my worst day on the golf course is still better than my best day at work
I realize that I do not get paid to do this and that I paid to do it
I decide to compare myself to the best in the world and when making that comparison, I suck. Since I suck, if I hit a bad shot it is because I suck, so why get mad?

As I'm about to play a round today with golf4life, this is a great thread for me to look at...hehe. I tend to implode rather than explode when I play badly, but I keep reminding myself that this is a game, it's supposed to be fun, and that I've only had less than a year of golf under my belt.

I also used to be that dummy that threw clubs, broke clubs, cussed and just acted like a 5 year old. However, I realized two things... I look really stupid and it gets really expensive breaking clubs!

Now I just realize I am in good enough health and I have good enough financial stability to be able to play the game that millions of people love.

It depends on the reason you are playing badly, if it is a physical swing related issue then don't get mad just practice more - if it is a mental issue, poor club selection or horrible course management then taking a less serious approach might help your game just by taking some pressure off. I always want to tell guys who get mad and throw clubs or cuss that they really aren't that good and should just practice more instead of getting mad. Instead I just avoid them if at all possible. Golf is a game and should be fun if it isn't fun then why do it?

The first thing I do is stop keeping score, maybe not the whole rest of the round, but for a hole or two any way. It immediately relaxes me. I play this game to have fun more than any thing else. Obviously if you are in a competition you can't do that. The few rounds I have played where something was on the line, I just started taking my time and took in the beauty of the golf course between shots, anything to distract myself from the upcoming shot. It usually works. My friends also know when things are going right for me and they do whatever they can to make fun of me and make me laugh.

The best advice I can say is to learn to laugh at yourself. It's really hard to do, but you have to learn.

Kevin Na had a 14 on one hole this past season. He was laughing about it on the way to the next tee box.

Whenever I have a round that is falling apart, I always remember something my father told me that always keeps it in perspective. "It could be worse, you could be dead."

I just think of it this way.

If its during the week, it could be worse, I could be stuck at work
If its on the weekend, it could be worse, I could be stuck with my mother in law

gets me in a better mood immediately

I call those rounds a "handicap maintenance round". Once you realize it's just not in the cards that day, like JB said, look around ya, enjoy the weather/outside and work on your game for the rest of the round and try and end the last couple of holes with a good score. A par/birdie finish on 18 always makes it better.

Just thinking about different ways. Any would be appreciated.
You're playing golf! Why would one need to find a way to have fun? If you're alone, join up with another person or two. If you're with friends, enjoy the company!

Even when I'm having a bad day golfing, it's still golfing. Beats most alternatives.

If I'm alone at an empty course I stop at a green and chip and putt for a while, as long as I can or need to. Then I hit a few old balls that I just found into the woods and try to be awesome and shape those shots like pros do lol. Then I keep playing.

The worse day golfing is still better then being at work...

The next swing will always be the best swing.

good thread Thechosenautopicker.....I'll be keeping my eyes on this one for some good ideas

I think sometimes I have more fun when i'm playing bad. If I have a good score going it adds a little pressure and i try harder and every shot is scrutinized.

If the wheels have come off early on then i just completely forget my score and try some funky shots i wouldnt normally do and as JB said earlier, just be happy i'm outside playing a game i love.

Back