60* of separation

My 60 is my go to around the greens. Only long chip shots 40 ft or more do I use my 56. My instructor told me to use my 60 around the green and I have been for the last year and a half. I'm comfortable with it and use to it. If I practiced more with the 56 maybe I'd use that but why change what is working.

My current set up is
49 aw burner
45 pw burner
I don't really consider the burners wedges though because I only use them for full shots.

I also had to drop my 3wood for this setup, but on my home course 3w never really makes sense off the tee and all the par 5 are 3 shot holes for me.

I'm still of the opinion that amateurs carry too many wedges. I think that they confuse themselves around the green with too many shot options, which they don't practice enough.

I hardly ever use it and most of the time I don't carry it. The last time I used it was Christmas Day, I was off the green on the downside of a big mound and I put it to within a few feet and made the par putt.

That is the only situation I use the 60. Greenside downhill chips/pitches.

That makes sense Smalls, this is when you would need a high soft shot. I can't remember the last time I pulled mine (58) out of the bag

I have carried two wedges (56, 60) for about the last ten years or so. I primarily used the 60 around the green, mostly for flop shots. I rarely used it for approach shots.

This month I switched to a 54 and 58. I had a chance to play a round with them, and I already think I am going to get more use out of the 58 than the 60. I can open the 58 for flop shots and other around the green shots, but I can also use it more for approaches. (I'm still dialing in the distances with the new wedges, but I think the 58 will be around 90 yards.) The 54 also helps, because it reduced the distance gap that I had between my pitching wedge and 56. There was about a 25 yard gap between these clubs, I think it is now about 15.

All in all, I think that I have added a club that has more use by dropping the 60. I don't think I will go back.

I'm still going to go with 3 wedges, mainly at 50-54-58. It does give me more options for shots around the greens, but I tend to use the 58 for most short shots near the greens. However, the bigger reason that I like to have 3 wedges is because it allows me to make more full swings from the fairway, as hitting 1/2 and 3/4 shots is not a strength for me.

Same thing for me as I prefer more wedges than the longer clubs. My setup is also 50-54-58 which works perfect for my bag.

I have carried two wedges (56, 60) for about the last ten years or so. I primarily used the 60 around the green, mostly for flop shots. I rarely used it for approach shots.

This month I switched to a 54 and 58. I had a chance to play a round with them, and I already think I am going to get more use out of the 58 than the 60. I can open the 58 for flop shots and other around the green shots, but I can also use it more for approaches. (I'm still dialing in the distances with the new wedges, but I think the 58 will be around 90 yards.) The 54 also helps, because it reduced the distance gap that I had between my pitching wedge and 56. There was about a 25 yard gap between these clubs, I think it is now about 15.

All in all, I think that I have added a club that has more use by dropping the 60. I don't think I will go back.

This is pretty much my exact thinking on the subject and the same thing I did. I find the 54* and 58* set up to be far more versatile and it opens up a spot for something else.

My irons include a GW that is 49* so I carry a 54* and 58*, I have no plans to change that set up any time soon.

My 60 is my go to around the greens. Only long chip shots 40 ft or more do I use my 56. My instructor told me to use my 60 around the green and I have been for the last year and a half. I'm comfortable with it and use to it. If I practiced more with the 56 maybe I'd use that but why change what is working.

My current set up is
49 aw burner
45 pw burner
I don't really consider the burners wedges though because I only use them for full shots.

I also had to drop my 3wood for this setup, but on my home course 3w never really makes sense off the tee and all the par 5 are 3 shot holes for me.

That's almost the exact same setup I have, except my aw is 50*. I still carry a 3 wood, but usually leave the 5 hybrid at home. Longest iron I carry is a 5 iron. I have a 64* wedge as well, but I don't find many courses where it's useful.

These new fangled wedges that TM have brought out are all well and good but to get the whole gamut of shots that 3 or 4 normal wedges give, the golfer will have to alter their setup and manufacture something for each different shot they wish to play.

Yes I know that we all open the face on our 60* to do a Michelson flop every now and again, but essentially the best way to a consistently accurate short game is to have as few moving parts or setup changes as possible. For those who havn't yet read Dave Peltz's Short Game Bible, read it. There was a thread about it on here before Christmas. Remember that the top pros who will be advertising these new babies have a swing that has the consistency and control that most of us on here will never attain. These boys have a swing that will allow them to make setup changes earsier than you or I.

To have one of these new wedges as well as the current ones you carry may be an option and something that I will certainly look at, but I will unfortunately for TM and others I will not be chopping my current ones in to get the new ones.

I'm in the group that's moving away from the 60*. Not too much, but with the SCOR V-sole my highest loft will be 58* and really I would like to never go back to the 60*. 58* is really enough loft for me in almost every situation and the V-sole will still let me open it up more if need be.

I took the 60* out of the bag about a year ago. I vowed to never put one back in it. I was doing so good until I won a SCOR wedge off of Facebook. They recommended trying out their 60* even though I was hesitant. I really do love it. It is the easiest 60* I have ever hit. Even though I don't have a ton of time to practice with it, I still do great with it. It just has great turf interaction and I have had some of the best chips in the past year with it.

This year I have had different setups of 4 wedges, 3 wedges, 2 wedges, Currently I have one wedge while I find new ones, one time I carried 5. It really depends on the course and how well you are playing. If I am playing great and hitting greens on full shots, no need for lots of wedges. If the course has no or barely any bunkers, easy rough, and is fairly short, no more than 2 wedges needed, etc...

For those of you playing a 54/58 setup - what degree of bounce do they have? Is your 58 a low bounce for flop shots? 54 higher for sand?

I play 45/50/55/60 and its been nice for my gaps, my 60 is actually used for full shots and pitches/chips, I've gotten pretty good with the Eidolon 60.

My current setup is: 50 52 56 60 I love the 60, and it isn't going anywhere. I am thinking hard about getting a 64 as well. I am not great at half shots and like to take a full swing when I can. Plus I never find a need for the top end of my bag, so by going 5 wood, 3 hybrid and 5 iron, I have room in the bag and it doesn't hamper my longer game. My ideal setup that I hopefully will get to this year will be: 50 54 60 64

I always carried a 60* but when I got my SCORs I got fit for a 58* as my highest. I have learned that I had NO need for a 60* as my 58* does just what I need it to and more.

For those of you playing a 54/58 setup - what degree of bounce do they have? Is your 58 a low bounce for flop shots? 54 higher for sand?

I think my 58 is 12° bounce, which has worked very well for me. I don't really hit flop shots. 54 is 14° and I use it more for full shots or when I'm in deep rough.

I always carried a 60* but when I got my SCORs I got fit for a 58* as my highest. I have learned that I had NO need for a 60* as my 58* does just what I need it to and more.

I find myself using the 58 far more than I ever used the 60.

Pretty cool that these wedges have transformed your short game too. I'm with you that I don't need a 60*, but you already knew that too

I hated the inconsistency of my 60* before. Last round where I shot my all time low, I found a lot of use from it. JB made an observation that I wasn't really going after anything with my wedges. I was just fearing that I was going too blow it past. I just feel like I can be more aggressive from certain spots. It's harder on full shots for me though. I have one coming for the MC because I didn't know what else to throw in my bag haha. I figure I'll use it more than I think.

I normally carry 3 plus a 47PW, a 52/56/60 setup - my 52GW is 8 bounce, the 56SW is 12 and the 60LW is 6. I will always carry a 60 probably I use it a lot. Instead of switching out the 60 I will sometimes take out the 52 and 56 for a 54 that is a variable sole 10 bounce which does make it more versatile and helps fill that gap. I have been switching to this more often lately but it does take a little more creativity to fill that bigger gap between the PW and the 54. I have been practicing with a 64-4 and might actually go to a 47, 54, 60 and 64 setup from time to time - could probably justify bending the 54 to 53 and the 60 to 59 - not sure about that though.

I recently removed my 60* from the mix. I have 53*,and 56* Scratch Wedges, and they work just fine for me. I can open the face on my 56* for a lob shot if i need to.

Not taking a shot, but I was just wondering about the guys who carry 4 wedges....do you really miss that many greens in that many different spots?

Not taking a shot, but I was just wondering about the guys who carry 4 wedges....do you really miss that many greens in that many different spots?

I carry 4 wedges because I use them all for full swings as much as I can. I don't like the 1/2 or 3/4 thing when I can avoid it, my 4 wedges have allowed me to do this. Its been very good for my game.

I think this thread rocks.

I was looking at Spencer Levin's WITB in Golf Digest and he only carries two wedges: gap wedge and lob wedge. That's interesting.

I think this thread rocks.

I was looking at Spencer Levin's WITB in Golf Digest and he only carries two wedges: gap wedge and lob wedge. That's interesting.

I think Sergio goes 50 to 58 as well. I copied him a good deal of the summer and it worked good for me at the time.

Back