taylormade the marketing kings

JB - not sure if you have this answer or not, but who pays more...Titleist to be the number 1 ball on tour or Taylormade to be the number 1 driver?

Darn, I was hoping to see an answer to my question. :bulgy-eyes:

I think this thread is stating the obvious though, of course TM is the marketing kings. Just look at all the white drivers.

Yes! And putters! It's brilliant marketing. Hey look at that guy's driver. It's black. I wonder what it is. Oh, look at that guy's white Taylormade driver.

Kudos to the guy that thought of it.

JB - not sure if you have this answer or not, but who pays more...Titleist to be the number 1 ball on tour or Taylormade to be the number 1 driver?

Not sure. I would bet its pretty close if you compared overall dollars spent.

But just in case you think I am immune to marketing- I have already put aside money to buy the Cleveland Classic as soon it hits the stores. I like the good reviews I have read here, but its the look and and idea of the 'Classic' (that packing case is awesome) that has completely suckered me in. So I can laugh at the silliness of thinking you are going to 'get 17 more yards' with TM but its not really much different than buying because it just looks fantastic and reminds me of what clubs use to be like- before bright orange Amps and Rocketballs.

I am just as much a victim or marketing as anyone else. My one consolation, and I guess the same would go for the TM fans, is that I know from experience that Cleveland makes quality clubs. I know it will be solid. So even if I have fallen for the marketing I am not going to feel ripped off. The RBZ lines will be solid clubs (with silly names) too- even if they don't give you 17 more yards.

TM are masters at marketing. I think with all the tools available to us that buying clubs before trying them is idiotic.

Yes! And putters! It's brilliant marketing. Hey look at that guy's driver. It's black. I wonder what it is. Oh, look at that guy's white Taylormade driver.

Kudos to the guy that thought of it.

Here is a funny behind the scenes industry story for you. 4 years ago, a marketing guy at a company took one of their drivers and went outside and spray painted it white. (He even sent the picture to me and its timestamped), and he brought it inside and told the guys that they should have their tour players use it because everybody would know what driver they were playing.

It was shrugged off as nothing or some ridiculous scheme that would not work by others. That company was not TaylorMade and man that would have changed the golfing world quite a bit a few years ago.

TM is the marketing kings. Just look at all the white drivers.

That's why the R11 was my pick for the club of 2011. No other had as much impact on the industry. But ironically that impact came almost completely from things other than performance- mostly its colour. If that is not marketing perfection I don't know what is.

Amazing.

Here is a funny behind the scenes industry story for you. 4 years ago, a marketing guy at a company took one of their drivers and went outside and spray painted it white. (He even sent the picture to me and its timestamped), and he brought it inside and told the guys that they should have their tour players use it because everybody would know what driver they were playing.

It was shrugged off as nothing or some ridiculous scheme that would not work by others. That company was not TaylorMade and man that would have changed the golfing world quite a bit a few years ago.

Man, I bet that guy is PISSED!

It's the same everywhere, probably. The company I work for is always trying to avoid being a "me too" product. Gotta have something that sets you apart, right?

I'm still not sure how I feel personally about the white club head (even after playing several for 6-12 months), but from a TV perspective, what an incredible marketing/identification technique it has become. They might as well have a giant TM logo on the screen.

I'm still not sure how I feel personally about the white club head (even after playing several for 6-12 months), but from a TV perspective, what an incredible marketing/identification technique it has become. They might as well have a giant TM logo on the screen.

No doubt. It certainly gets your attention. I'm almost to the point of being anti-TaylorMade just because I don't like to be on a bandwagon with everyone else, but the white hype of 2011 had me wanting to try the R11 and I'll certainly be trying the RBZ and R11S this year.

Also, the color identification thing has me wondering why others don't take advantage of this. I know that many don't like AMP orange, but if Cobra did have a driver with an orange crown and it was used by their tour players, love it or hate it, people would certainly recognize it and talk about it.

I love stories like that. Hopefully that guy was able to serve a big fat 'I told you so' burger for lunch afterwards to those that doubted him

No doubt. It certainly gets your attention. I'm almost to the point of being anti-TaylorMade just because I don't like to be on a bandwagon with everyone else, but the white hype of 2011 had me wanting to try the R11 and I'll certainly be trying the RBZ and R11S this year.

Also, the color identification thing has me wondering why others don't take advantage of this. I know that many don't like AMP orange, but if Cobra did have a driver with an orange crown and it was used by their tour players, love it or hate it, people would certainly recognize it and talk about it.

No doubt, but you have to have the tour staff to back it up. That is where TM shines really in this case, because they have the largest driver staff on tour currently, it really comes through across the media front (meaning TV).

That could have changed things. But I wonder if it would have. Taylormade was very successful with the white drivers because it seemed like they did an all out blitz on advertising it. Now I'm sure if the other company may have done something similar, but who knows. I have a feeling that if it was a company like Nike and Tiger Woods did NOT use it, people would shrug it off.

I'm kind of shocked that the other golf companies didn't come out with a white driver this year? I've seen that Cobra has one but can't think of anyone else. Is that because TM has it's stamp firmly on the white driver line and it's sort of too late for someone else to make a splash?

I'm kind of shocked that the other golf companies didn't come out with a white driver this year? I've seen that Cobra has one but can't think of anyone else. Is that because TM has it's stamp firmly on the white driver line and it's sort of too late for someone else to make a splash?

Technically Cobra came to market 1st with theirs and the worst kept secret in golf that was the R11 came out shortly afterward. I think that it is the other way really. Now, people assume the white is TM and then might check into the others. But we are seeing more things come to market, such as the Cleveland Classic which is noticeable and the Cobra AMP that is gray and other colors come to light that will get attention I believe.

Possibly, I think that's why Adams is pushing silver (which I really really like to be honest).

I forgot Cobra was technically​ first.

funny thing though is that when I think of silver...I immediately think of Mashie

Possibly, I think that's why Adams is pushing silver (which I really really like to be honest).

I forgot Cobra was technically​ first.

The thing that Taylormade does better than anybody is make people have to have their new driver. Whatever change there may be from the last release, the new release always seems to have that one thing that would make it light years better than the last. It is a page right out of Apple's playbook. It is so damned successful. It really is impressive to see that ability.

I think the White fad is dying now. You can really see the drop off in the shops here. Every store was white, or offered to make your driver white, every window display was white, it was ridiculous in the golf malls here for a while. But now other than TM you really don't see it much in other brands. And I am not seeing it much on the courses here any longer either. Probably a good thing for TM in the long run, over saturation can be a killer and I think they are right on the edge of doing that.

funny thing though is that when I think of silver...I immediately think of Mashie

Very true, I do too to an extent. I know alot didn't like the mashie finish...I loved it though.

Technically Cobra came to market 1st with theirs and the worst kept secret in golf that was the R11 came out shortly afterward. I think that it is the other way really. Now, people assume the white is TM and then might check into the others. But we are seeing more things come to market, such as the Cleveland Classic which is noticeable and the Cobra AMP that is gray and other colors come to light that will get attention I believe.

Didn't the Wilson Spine come in white? Maybe that was only on special order. There is another brand here from Japan- can't remember the name- that came in one of 4 or 5 colours a while back. The ad looked like an only iMac poster with the different colour heads in a circle.

So hear is question as it relates to JBs story abou the painted driver. What would have happened if that company had gone through with his idea? I don't know the name of that company, I assume it rhymes with hotelist. Would that company be on top of the driver game? Or is Taylormade just that good at marketing their drivers that it doesn't matter the color.

No doubt, but you have to have the tour staff to back it up. That is where TM shines really in this case, because they have the largest driver staff on tour currently, it really comes through across the media front (meaning TV).

That is true, and a point that I thought of but failed to mention. Still, if you could get a few players in contention and sporting your company's "colors" for the world to see on TV, then it does draw attention to your company even if you don't have the resources to peform an all out advertising assault like TaylorMade does.

Having tour staff to back your product is no sure thing though. I mean, look at Nike and Tiger Woods. Sure they have had quite a bit of success, but Nike is no TaylorMade, despite having the best known golfer on the planet in it's stable. Part of me wants to think that one reason for this is that when people see Nike, they automatically think shoes and apparel, rather than golf clubs.

Last edited:
Honest question for those of us who are pondering the RBZ line: are we doing so b/c of the sheer distance increase claims? or is it something else? Perhaps you just like TM, or perhaps you just like white, or perhaps you've had success with TM wood offerings in the past so you just want to stick with them?

I am considering the RBZ Fairway and Hybrid, but only as one option for what I am considering. The distance sounds good but I'm a "believe it when I see it" type person. More than anything I need a new FW and some new hybrids, so naturally I'm considering what looks to be a solid offering.

As for the marketing of TaylorMade, it is impressive yet I find the reaction a little disheartening. I grew up in another industry that had a few heavy hitters like TM and it frustrated me to no end watching people flood to buy the newest from Company X when more often than not, the product was likely only hindering their progression. Don't misinterprete that as hating TM, I love my irons and know that many of their product are incredible. Get fit and try before you buy people! Or spend your money however you want!! :bulgy-eyes:

I think it's genius for TM to really push the FW, balls, and wedges this year. Last year they sold a bagillion premium priced drivers. They can't expect all of those people to buy a new driver this year so they are pushing the FW and lower priced driver, wedges, balls. Brilliant.

Back