Working For A Course (Club)

Money certainly isn't everything and it doesn't sound like it's much more than you're already making. It's the time in our lives that we should be slowing down, not picking up pace. That's my thought but then again I like to play not work. I'm lazy like that.

haha Every time I swing by the course KellyBo is out on the putting green chipping or practicing with the putter. She works very hard at her job :D

haha Every time I swing by the course KellyBo is out on the putting green chipping or practicing with the putter. She works very hard at her job :D

SSSShhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm not OUT on the putting green much these days (I have the indoor birdie ball now). :D

Last edited:
This is my concern for you duey, I know you are saying the pay is better but when you say it is 60/70 hours is the pay really better? I know in my last job I was working 55/65 hours a week because I had a very demanding job and I had little time for golf, it was not worth it in the long run to me. Seriously weight all of you options going in and then and only then take the job if you are 100% comfortable with that decision.

Money certainly isn't everything and it doesn't sound like it's much more than you're already making. It's the time in our lives that we should be slowing down, not picking up pace. That's my thought but then again I like to play not work. I'm lazy like that.

Man, if they are making a push for you then get some stuff in return and in writing. Make it a good situation

Yeah, the hours are a crazy bunch at this point in my life and no, the pay is not that much more. 40 hours right now is pretty darn nice, but its heavy work so I come home sore and tight. But, the benefits are great where I'm at.

What's kind of sad is this place could hire one heck of a manager that could really help build sales from the inside out if they would take some of the extra load and hours off of him. They expect him to cut the staff anywhere possible, the other employees are just part time and very limited.

I'm with One-T, if they are pushing you, then push back!! Ask for more money...better hours....see what they say....all they can say is "no"

I'm with One-T, if they are pushing you, then push back!! Ask for more money...better hours....see what they say....all they can say is "no"

I tend to agree at this point. I'm ok where I'm at from this point, we'll see what they can do.

Due the job can be rewarding and it will make you lose your mind. All of the clubs I have worked at have been on the larger side so I only had to wear multiple hats on the golf side. The other side was always covered. I would be just be careful not to get burned out. It a good opportunity but it will limit your play and it may change some of the relationships you have.

Anyone have experience managing the club part of a course? One of the courses I belong to is looking to hire a new manager and they approached me about taking the position. I have to say I'm a bit cautious as their first question to me was "How thick skinned am I". I know some members in a club type atmosphere like to stir the pot at times, but not real sure how much of a day to day problem this becomes.

The job sounds pretty involved all the way around. I'd be doing everything from tee times and selling balls, gloves and range time to bar tending, setting up for parties and working a ton of hours. Part of the time I'd help the cooks and even clean the place, but I've pretty much done all this type work except bar tend.

Any thoughts? I did just start another job that dose not pay as well, but entertaining the idea of this.

I work at my home course during the summer doing anything from mowing, picking range balls, hauling the trash, working behind the front counter, working in the kitchen/bar, really pretty much anything. I've been around the place since the early 70's so I know everyone for the most part. I love working there, a day here, a day there, but it is not something I would want to do for a living. We live in a me me me world now, and some people are high maintenance and there is a fair share of drama some days with issues on the course. Thick skin is a must.

Is this course managed by a PGA professional and are they just asking you to work under this person or are they asking you to be the manager/super? There is a lot more to running a course than meets the eye. It is a business first and then there is the course itself......

Due the job can be rewarding and it will make you lose your mind. All of the clubs I have worked at have been on the larger side so I only had to wear multiple hats on the golf side. The other side was always covered. I would be just be careful not to get burned out. It a good opportunity but it will limit your play and it may change some of the relationships you have.

Wise advice Tadashi, I'll keep that in mind. I just got done talking to one of the board members who did my initial interview and they seem pretty excited, but then again all those guys are working the club until they replace their manager, haha. I think I could handle any of the jobs they listed with ease, up to 5 at a time, but when they pile on 10 to 15 hat's I'm a bit worried.

Duey, what will your responsibilities be with the restaurant? You have the food and beverage background, especially when it comes to running a tight ship. It's been 24 years since I ran a restaurant, but at both the club I belong to now, and my last club, I've always kind of felt I could improve how they do things, especially when it comes to offerings for people making the turn or just getting off the course. Both places did or do weddings and seem to do okay with that.

I think you're a tad older than me. I'm closing on 51. I'm intrigued by the idea of getting out of the business I'm in five years or so and running or managing a club, but man, that is a lot of hours.

Does the restaurant have a chef? Do the members want changes or are the looking to continue the status quo? Before making a decision, could you possibly sit down with the board or a group of members and possibly sort of kind of interview them? In a roundabout way. lol.

Kevin

They would've lost me at 60-70hrs + doing like 20 different jobs, then again I got KellyBo genes. :)

They would've lost me at 60-70hrs + doing like 20 different jobs, then again I got KellyBo genes. :)

Yep, you got it honestly son!

Now I'm thinking of other things. What about hiring and firing? You might have to clean house when you get in there. How old will your employees be? Teenagers can be a challenge, but good teenage employees can be awesome. Chefs can be complete knobs. You know most of that stuff, I'm sure, but things are popping into my mind.

Kevin

Kevin, I would do all the hiring and firing inside and have complete control over the kitchen, but the menu is set by the board. Most of the crew is middle aged, but a few are collage girls. I would have some ability to make changes, but the board has to agree and I kind of get that they like most of the status quo. They don't have a chef, just some lady who has cooked for several years there. I would fill in some of the time for her and be in charge of her, but they all say she's solid.

Sounds a lot like my boss's position when I worked at a course for the past two summers. From what I noticed here are a few major points:

You never know your hours. Being a public relations job essentially, your hours are never set in stone. There were times where he was only suppose to be on the clock until 5:00pm, after being there sense 6:00am, then something would come up that he had to solve or be involved in and not get to leave until 10:00pm. Then would have to be back again for 6:00am the next morning.

Never be surprised. Basically everyone once in awhile you will come across someone who is either in a bad mood, or just completely disagrees with everything and it may be the smallest thing or the oddest thing, you just never know. Overall, you will never please everyone.

If you have people working under you, don't try and be their friend, you will get burned. The first year I worked at the course, our boss was new to the position, along with 7 of us in the other 8 positions. He tried to be our friend, which is fine, but then employees started taking advantage of him. I'm not saying you need to be an a**, but make sure you draw the line between friend and employee.

I know these are pretty basic and you may already have known all this, but hope it helps even a little bit. A golf course can be a jungle of a work area.

Kevin, I would do all the hiring and firing inside and have complete control over the kitchen, but the menu is set by the board. Most of the crew is middle aged, but a few are collage girls. I would have some ability to make changes, but the board has to agree and I kind of get that they like most of the status quo. They don't have a chef, just some lady who has cooked for several years there. I would fill in some of the time for her and be in charge of her, but they all say she's solid.

So it sounds like they're just feeding themselves? They're not looking for it to be a money maker? That's probably poorly worded, but you most likely know what I mean, but want someone that knows what they're doing to make sure they get what they want and it runs smoothly. Is the club completely private?

You know, it sounds kind of cool, but a lot of hours. In all my working life, the most satisfying times were when I ran a restaurant and you got through a really busy day, and things went great. Of course, there's golf course management involved with what you're looking at, too. Would you be in charge of the course maintenance? Do they have a qualified superintendent?

Kevin

So it sounds like they're just feeding themselves? They're not looking for it to be a money maker? That's probably poorly worded, but you most likely know what I mean, but want someone that knows what they're doing to make sure they get what they want and it runs smoothly. Is the club completely private?

You know, it sounds kind of cool, but a lot of hours. In all my working life, the most satisfying times were when I ran a restaurant and you got through a really busy day, and things went great. Of course, there's golf course management involved with what you're looking at, too. Would you be in charge of the course maintenance? Do they have a qualified superintendent?

Kevin

They have it set up pretty good for what they are trying to do actually. They don't want to make the place a full service restaurant full time, they just use it to complinent the course and club. Several nights each week they have dinners, after men's league is their busiest night for food, then they cater special events there. They did talk to me from the stand point of "Idea's" I might have to build sales/traffic count, so they are some what reseptive.

It's a semi-private course, but the club is private. They have a smallish are to serve non-members, but the members have a card to get into the main section.

Some of what you said there has me thinking. The best years I really had in this business was during the building years, just doing the things I knew to do and having fun with it. The business just crew because of it. I kind of doubt I could get the board behind me to make the changes needed.

Oh yeah, the course would be someone else's job. I would have no say in that area at all.

Gotcha. Sounds intriguing man. Keep us informed.

Kevin

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I know there would be some great thoughts collected here. My second interview should be pretty quick, I'll keep you all up. Thanks!

I went to school for club mgmt, and have worked every job imaginable in a club atmosphere. If you have any questions at all, please ask, or pm me!

Some of what you said there has me thinking. The best years I really had in this business was during the building years, just doing the things I knew to do and having fun with it. The business just crew because of it. I kind of doubt I could get the board behind me to make the changes needed.

Oh yeah, the course would be someone else's job. I would have no say in that area at all.

I was just throwing some questions out there, buddy. Food service and entertainment can be such a fun and rewarding job. And it's nice to have a little leeway. On the other hand, if they know what they want, seems like it might be pretty easy to just give it to them. Less rewarding maybe, but easier. You know what it's like to get it right with good people behind you in that business. It is enjoyable.

Kevin

I was just throwing some questions out there, buddy. Food service and entertainment can be such a fun and rewarding job. And it's nice to have a little leeway. On the other hand, if they know what they want, seems like it might be pretty easy to just give it to them. Less rewarding maybe, but easier. You know what it's like to get it right with good people behind you in that business. It is enjoyable.

Kevin

+1 sponsored by Hanks.

Yes sir, its kind of a catch 22 for most I've worked for, raise the profits and all's good, but heaven help if you have a bad month, lol. I really like the people out there, especially the board members, just hope to keep it that way.

+1 sponsored by Hanks.

Lol. You need to move down here and run this thing Thain. Young guy with a ton of energy, I bet you would be good!

Back