Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

Something else to ponder is that Bridgestone chose the PX shafts as the stock shaft for a reason.

yep, which is why I am gonna stick with them. You have seen me hit them, there is no reason for me to look elsewhere

Something else to ponder is that Bridgestone chose the PX shafts as the stock shaft for a reason.

That is a good point and something I thought about as well. After speaking with my club pro who is working with me on my swing, I am sticking with stock instead of going graphite. Now just to decide if I stay at 5.0 or go up to 5.5. Pro thinks I can get a bit more out of the 5.5 as he works on my move though the impact zone.

Tappin' from my iPad!

That's exactly what I keep coming back to. My advice to all the Bridgestone guys is don't bang your head against the wall pondering all these shafts until you try the PX Flighted that come stock with the J40 irons.

You live in a city where you could go be fit for a shaft, I would do that. if you cant get out to do that then I say stick with what you know.

Yeah, but they also charge $50 bux for an iron fitting, but it would be worth it in the end.

I like what TC said about the PX shafts being paired for a reason. The 5.5's weigh 115g and if I hard stepped them, it would increase the flex by about 1/3 of a flex, but still give me the lighter weight shafts. I think this may be really good for me.

Yeah, but they also charge $50 bux for an iron fitting, but it would be worth it in the end.

I like what TC said about the PX shafts being paired for a reason. The 5.5's weigh 115g and if I hard stepped them, it would increase the flex by about 1/3 of a flex, but still give me the lighter weight shafts. I think this may be really good for me.

before you get in to hard or soft stepping a shaft, I would definitely get fit.

For those of you looking at getting these bent strong is there any concern about messing up the bounce? Looking at the 5 iron for instance the bounce would go from 2.5* to 0.5* if you went 2* strong if I am not mistaken.

For those of you looking at getting these bent strong is there any concern about messing up the bounce? Looking at the 5 iron for instance the bounce would go from 2.5* to 0.5* if you went 2* strong if I am not mistaken.

From what I understand the leading edge on these will help with that. I went 1* strong and they said there should be no issues. I dunno, if I was going more it would be a concern I'm sure.

From what I understand the leading edge on these will help with that. I went 1* strong and they said there should be no issues. I dunno, if I was going more it would be a concern I'm sure.

My B-Stone J40 DPCs are 1 degree strong. I have had no issue or concerns with the leading edge.

Had a B-fit session to get some more input and found a few things I was not aware of. This is a tremendous service Bridgestone offers.

Erik Dokken: Quick question. I going to get some J40 DPC's and was thinking of having them bent 2* strong to get some added distance. Any issues with bounce in your opinion if they are bent 2* strong?

Jeff: Hey Erik,
Bending them strong will do 2 things...
It will make them dig a little at impact, and it will create more offset.
They have a new sole grind compared to the J38's, which helps keep them from digging as much, so it might not be too bad

Had a B-fit session to get some more input and found a few things I was not aware of. This is a tremendous service Bridgestone offers.

Erik Dokken: Quick question. I going to get some J40 DPC's and was thinking of having them bent 2* strong to get some added distance. Any issues with bounce in your opinion if they are bent 2* strong?

They have a new sole grind compared to the J38's, which helps keep them from digging as much, so it might not be too bad

That's some good info. The Bfit sessions that I have had talking with Jeff have been very informative. I know I put in to have mine bent 2* strong.

That is some great info. It sounds like the sole will effect impact more than a traditonal sole on other forged clubs

It has me leaning towards going with the standard lofts as I tend to come in steep and don't need the club to dig.

It has me leaning towards going with the standard lofts as I tend to come in steep and don't need the club to dig.
What wedge lofts are you going with Howzat?

That's some good info, I've debated this myself and I think I'm going to order standard lofts after all. The difference is simple, just grab a 6i instead of a 7i, they're easy clubs to hit so even hitting a 5i is not something difficult to do in the least.

I actaully had my J40 wedges adjusted nw that I think about it and I have noticed any additional digging

That's some good info, I've debated this myself and I think I'm going to order standard lofts after all. The difference is simple, just grab a 6i instead of a 7i, they're easy clubs to hit so even hitting a 5i is not something difficult to do in the least.

Man if only JakeBay would send me some J40's I can find out how easy they are haha

What wedge lofts are you going with Howzat?

The plan may seem a little strange but this is my wedge plan:

DPC PW 46*
CB PW bent to 50*
54*
58*

I don't hit a lot of partial shots with the 50* so I am going w/ a little extra forgiveness of the CB vs. bending the 52*. I prefer the higher bounce I will get in this scenerio as well.

The plan may seem a little strange but this is my wedge plan:

DPC PW 46*
CB PW bent to 50*
54*
58*

I don't hit a lot of partial shots with the 50* so I am going w/ a little extra forgiveness of the CB vs. bending the 52*. I prefer the higher bounce I will get in this scenerio as well.
Not too strange, it makes sense. I have never been good with bending wedges stronger, so what you are doing makes sense.

I am really intrigued by these irons big time. All of the reviews are great but I think that they might be too much for my game right now. Should I look elsewhere or are these a good set for a 18-24 capper. Come spring I will be much better judging by my progression throughout the year and how much I've been practicing.

I am really intrigued by these irons big time. All of the reviews are great but I think that they might be too much for my game right now. Should I look elsewhere or are these a good set for a 18-24 capper. Come spring I will be much better judging by my progression throughout the year and how much I've been practicing.

What? Intrigued? By these?

Spoiler

DSC_0040-6.jpg

DSC_0041-5.jpg

DSC_0042-6.jpg

DSC_0043-3.jpg

DSC_0044-5.jpg

DSC_0045-4.jpg

DSC_0046-4.jpg

DSC_0047-7.jpg

DSC_0051-3.jpg

DSC_0052-4.jpg

DSC_0053-3.jpg

DSC_0054-3.jpg

Hehehe, had to do it!

Damn you Jman. lol

Beast mode from tapatalk

Damn you Jman. lol

Beast mode from tapatalk

Buahahahaha! You know you want their forged yet non-component goodness Kev!

Back