Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

My pro is out of town for the week, so I'm going to spend hour practicing full swing and testing some clubs instead of a lesson tomorrow. Probably finish it off with putting practice.

I think having your putter so early in the process will end up being a nice benefit for you guys, Howzat. The confidence you have has to be sky high due to the Studio B experience.
I'm hoping that one of the first things to come from Callaway will be the putter, for this reason. Probably 40% of my shots will be with the putter, so that's what I want to work on most.

I'm hoping that one of the first things to come from Callaway will be the putter, for this reason. Probably 40% of my shots will be with the putter, so that's what I want to work on most.

I decided quite a while ago what putter style I was going with. I'm not putting with the exact one I'll be using, but the style is virtually the same.

I played today in some awful conditions. The course was just soaked. I decided to take advantage of that though and really focus on ball striking. I hit the ball well today. First time in a few weeks I've had a chance to even hit balls so that was nice. I'm also experimenting with a shorter shaft in my driver and I like what I'm seeing. I also have been rolling a anser style, milled putter and I'm struggling. I'm just not making the putts that I was with my mallets.

I played today in some awful conditions. The course was just soaked. I decided to take advantage of that though and really focus on ball striking. I hit the ball well today. First time in a few weeks I've had a chance to even hit balls so that was nice. I'm also experimenting with a shorter shaft in my driver and I like what I'm seeing. I also have been rolling a anser style, milled putter and I'm struggling. I'm just not making the putts that I was with my mallets.
Any specific reason for the change in shaft length, TC?
Spoiler
That could be the most awkward question I have ever asked another dude

Any specific reason for the change in shaft length, TC?
Spoiler
That could be the most awkward question I have ever asked another dude

I've toyed around with a shorter shaft in my driver in the past but got a bit consumed in the pursuit of distance. What I'm finding is that my distance doesn't really suffer with the shorter shaft and I'm hitting the ball so much more purer with the shorter shaft. I guess it's a comfort thing right now.

I've toyed around with a shorter shaft in my driver in the past but got a bit consumed in the pursuit of distance. What I'm finding is that my distance doesn't really suffer with the shorter shaft and I'm hitting the ball so much more purer with the shorter shaft. I guess it's a comfort thing right now.

I have really been pondering going to a 44" shaft myself. Did you butt cut your driver? I am pretty decent with all my clubs except my driver and I think going an inch and a quarter shorter may be the ticket.

Danny.P came over today and we had a little putting competition on the birdie ball. We hit 12 balls each from 1' to 15'. Put numbers in a pile and drew them out to see what distance was next. As not to keep doing them in order. It was pretty fun and lasted us about 2.5 hours. Was good work on distance, line and stroke.

30 minutes putting on the big indoor practice green and then about 70 minutes hitting balls.

Normally would have been lesson night, but he's at the PGA Show. I think I need to work more on my drills to keep on top of what I'm learning. Tonight I was a good 10 yards shorter than I have been, which is about 10 yards longer than where I was at the start - if that makes sense. I know it will take time though and I'm hitting the ball far better than I was. I just know it can be better yet. Just more time and work I suppose. The big surprise for me is that my driver spin has dropped a huge amount already. That's very good.

Putting was fun and I just used one ball and worked different cups, angles, and distances with one ball. Working on the set up routine and focusing on the target.

30 minutes putting on the big indoor practice green and then about 70 minutes hitting balls.

Normally would have been lesson night, but he's at the PGA Show. I think I need to work more on my drills to keep on top of what I'm learning. Tonight I was a good 10 yards shorter than I have been, which is about 10 yards longer than where I was at the start - if that makes sense. I know it will take time though and I'm hitting the ball far better than I was. I just know it can be better yet. Just more time and work I suppose. The big surprise for me is that my driver spin has dropped a huge amount already. That's very good.

Putting was fun and I just used one ball and worked different cups, angles, and distances with one ball. Working on the set up routine and focusing on the target.

Good stuff Hawk, glad to see the lessons are paying off so quickly for you. Even better that your driver spin has come down, hello added distance!

Good stuff Hawk, glad to see the lessons are paying off so quickly for you. Even better that your driver spin has come down, hello added distance!

Indeed. It's a big improvement in yards and I really didn't feel like I had it tonight.

Thats awesome dude. After the butt-whooping ol' TC put on me today I've got to get back in for some lessons and tighten things up a notch or 12.

Thats awesome dude. After the butt-whooping ol' TC put on me today I've got to get back in for some lessons and tighten things up a notch or 12.

Hahaha. Yea, he'll motivate you with his play won't he? I'm enjoying the whole thing dude. I don't feel rushed or anything. I'm really just looking to improve for me and let things play out how they do in Myrtle Beach.

Great stuff hawk the fact that you have gained 20 yards on your good nights and 10 on your bad says a lot about your progress.
Today after long last my course opened up and even though it was windy and cold and a little wet, I just needed to hit some balls. It took me about a half hour to get my swing together after 3 weeks off but the second half of the session was great and was just stripping the ball.
The I went to the short game area and worked on 40 to 10 yard pitches and chips and started to get really comfortable with them.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, Breezy!

I want to chip and pitch so bad. How's the grass up there this time of year with all the rain?

Had a range session Tuesday night and really worked on mid irons and hybrids, I really need to get my GIR percentage up...even though I have been posting decent scores, I have been doing it with scrambling....getting up and down from 20 yards and in after missing the green in regulation. I need to give myself more looks at birdie and to do that I have to hit more greens...so therefore I am focusing on mid irons and hybrids for the next several weeks.

It would really help if I had a range that had some greens in the 150-200 yard area....my range has distance signs only so it gets tough to work on hitting to a target....I need to find a slow day and hit the back 9 first thing in the morning...pick and fairway and drop 75 balls and hit them.....maybe this weekend.

Will be setting up my lesson today before work. First of many

Thanks KB. Pretty excited

is this the putting lesson you've been telling me about?

No full swing lesson. Putting lesson was too rich for me and honestly as I've worked on my stroke I've become a pretty good putter

Worked on my wind play today! Wasn't on purpose because it wasn't supposed to be very gusty today, but it was blowing so hard at times it was tough to address the ball.

Worked on my wind play today! Wasn't on purpose because it wasn't supposed to be very gusty today, but it was blowing so hard at times it was tough to address the ball.

I bet that really blew

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I bet that really blew

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^
hehe.,...hey Beavis....he said "blew"....hehe

that will be great for myrtle Beach. I have yet to play there when it wasnt windy

Back