Particular about dings, dents, and scuffs?

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
I've found that I can be a baby when it comes to dings, dents, and scuffs on my clubs - at least to some extent. I once had a small dent in the edge of a TM Superfast TP. Think it was from placing my bag to close to me when I was walking a round and hitting my driver with an iron. I have once set my R11 down at address on concrete at the driving range and scuffed the ASP plate. I currently have a small dink in the aluminum alignment aid on my Spider Vicino.

Now, I've learned to deal with dings, such as the one's on my truck. People in the world have more to worry about then a dink in your vehicle. I'm blessed to have a nice vehicle.

However, when it's on my clubs it throws me off. Does looking down at a small dink or dent in your club throw you off? Ever bought the same club twice because of this?

I always dislike the moment it happens, but it's gone soon after.

That's me too Hawk, I hate when it happens, but it is a part of golf, so I never get too bent out of shape over it.

Ive never dented a club, I have the headcovers on at all times and NEVER sit them down near anything that could damage them. Im very picky about that.

+1

I accept it knowing it's going to happen, but it's still tough for me to hit out of an area with rocks possibly hiding. I have a huge gash in my 6i due to a hidden rock that I had to grind down just to smooth out the sole. I no longer care about the deformity. I also don't use iron covers so the backs of all my clubs are scratched up. You buy them to use them, what's the point of trying to keep them looking like you've never taken them out?

I was taking swings inside with my 3 wood for the first time and I didn't cheack to make sure I actually had room. The toe hit the edge of a door. NuFinish to the rescure and its good as new.

I could care less, actually. My favorite driver of all time had a nice sized dent in the sole, and it performed like a champ until it cracked. My irons have pretty nasty scratches on the soles from the rocky soil I play on. My 52* has most of the chrome removed from the sole (granted, it's 12 years old), I got tired of the un-even rusting on the black oxide 56*, so I coked it and rusted the whole club. The only club I bother keeping pretty is my putter, but there is no reason for it to look ugly, is there?

They're tools. Sucks, but it happens.

Kevin

They're tools. Sucks, but it happens.

Kevin

I do agree with this, but I think the club where I'd say it sucks most is the putter. Who wants to look down a dent on a tool that well, doesn't really go through enough to get ugly. I agree with Jacob on that one.

Its bound to happen, sucks when it does. I have a period of time when I am ultra vigilent and avoid such matters. It really grinds my gears if I scrathc something. Was thinking about a pop protector for the new driver. If I like it that much, I will wait till they go down in price more and but another one (I can see it happening).

I'm extremely OCD, and it drives me insane playing something if its dented or has a chip in it. It just bothers the hell out of me. So does browning of irons.

Its bound to happen, sucks when it does. I have a period of time when I am ultra vigilent and avoid such matters. It really grinds my gears if I scrathc something. Was thinking about a pop protector for the new driver. If I like it that much, I will wait till they go down in price more and but another one (I can see it happening).

Agreed about buying a new one - at least potentially. I could trade in my Vicino for a brand new one, but might just upgrade.

Agreed about buying a new one - at least potentially. I could trade in my Vicino for a brand new one, but might just upgrade.

I have a touch of OCD, so the moment it happens or I notice it, yeah, it screws my world up. But, I get over it and hardly notice it going forward. Obviously, if it is big scratch on the crown of a driver or a sizable chatter mark, that may be a different story, but I have never had a club with that much of a problem.

And I totally didn't mean to quote MSB256 in my post above. Not that you aren't quote worthy! LOL.

It used to bother me. Then I bought a used driver that I absolutely loved but it looked like the guy towed it behind his cart so I just accepted the scratches and dings as long as it worked. It also saved me a lot of time putting on headcovers after each drive. Since then, I've been a lot less careful and more concerned about how they work. Not that I didn't care how they worked before but now I just clean them and look at them more like well used tools with a little character.

Anyone who's ever played with me can attest at how anal I am with all my clubs staying unscathed. The course I belong to now has a few gravely spots scattered around the course and no, I won't take that lie. I'll take the deduction and move the ball rather than deal with a scratched up club, but it still happen's sooner of later.

I have forged Nike irons and them bad boys are nicked up big time, kind of like it. I do not like idiot marks on my woods though, I'd have to replace that asap.

Only time it really bothers me is with the putter. My old one somehow got a scratch on it that looked like a piece of steel wool ran over it. It was just annoying how much brighter it looked than the rest of the club.

Ive never dented a club, I have the headcovers on at all times and NEVER sit them down near anything that could damage them. Im very picky about that.

I'm with you. I've played for nearly 40 years and never dented a club. For the most part I've never damaged a club at all. I have drivers, woods and irons sitting around that are several years old and they still look new. I'm pretty particular about having my clubs look good. I clean them after every round and always use a headcover.

This used to bother me. I'm trying to get over it. End of last year I was much much better about this and so far (can't play yet due to weather) this year, it's been good haha.

Anyone who's ever played with me can attest at how anal I am with all my clubs staying unscathed. The course I belong to now has a few gravely spots scattered around the course and no, I won't take that lie. I'll take the deduction and move the ball rather than deal with a scratched up club, but it still happen's sooner of later.

Do you take a stroke? That's hard core of you do. I'm all for playing by the rules, no foot wedge, etc, but sometimes it's not fair that to stay in the rules could harm your clubs. Especially if it's not a hazard or anything, just bad place on the course

For some reason that escapes me, I am very concious about covering my woods and keeping them safe.

Do you take a stroke? That's hard core of you do. I'm all for playing by the rules, no foot wedge, etc, but sometimes it's not fair that to stay in the rules could harm your clubs. Especially if it's not a hazard or anything, just bad place on the course

I did last year as everything was going to my hc, but may change things this year.

Playing in the THP Midwest outing on a very nice course, I hit from a side hill with a lot of rocks, my Nickent 7i will never be the same. Big add gouging all over the place.

Tap,Tap,Tap

The only thing that bothers me is when the paint chips at the juncture where the top of the driver face is welded to the crown. The only consolation is that this is a sign that I am hitting the ball in the sweet spot every time. :cool:

Back