2012 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am Thread (Spoilers)

He'll have some successes but he's a broken man. I've been saying it for 2 years now. All he can fix in his life is his swing, but it doesn't change that he's broken inside. That killer is dead. He was a joy to watch for 3 days. Phil took the fight to him and he rolled over. At least he was gracious post round. He looked like a cage fighter who got pounded for 5 rounds.
Since people are always "QFT" around here...I will too. You're 100% correct TC. He may win a tournament or two, hell..even 4 or 5, but the killer is dead. I'm not gonna' lie, I wanted to see this thing go down to putts on the 18th. I'm not gonna say I might have wanted Tiger to win. But in the end, TC is right...the killer is dead.

So a few things regarding today. What a great day of pro-golf to watch. Am I exaggerating when I say we've all been hoping for another run this year between two of the best players of this generation? While Tiger fell off today, I think it shows some promise that maybe we can have some exciting Sundays. NOW WITH THAT TYPED;
Did anyone notice two things on 18? When was the last time, a winner putted out before his playing partner finished up when his partner was within 3-4'. I can't remember the last time I saw that. Usually the playing partner would finish up to allow the known winner to enjoy the moment. I think this was a total classless move by Tiger. He missed his 3'er but he should have hit that putt before Phil so he could enjoy his moment. The second thing I noticed was Tiger tapping down something in the line of his final putt. A ball mark? possibly, but you usually see the player do some repair work before the tap it down. A spike mark perhaps, JUST SAYIN'

He can no longer putt under pressure. He'll squeak out some wins, but majors will be especially hard if he's yippy. Notice the generally good longish putts, but the inability to putt a stroke on the short ones. That's all nerves. That most likely doesn't come back. You can ask a long list of champions about that, not the least of which is Burt Yancy.

Kevin

I'm just bitter that I didn't get to witness Tigger's dominance. I didn't watch golf back then. Looking back, wtc. I wish I had seen it.

You'll never see anything like it again I don't believe. From 99 - 04 it was unreal. He destroyed people. He never missed putts and when he absolutely had to pull something off or make a putt, he did. I know I'm harsh on Tiger but hell, I like him too. He changed the way golf is played and he changed what I expect from golf as a fan. You can never take that away from him. I think what set him apart from his competition was he was unbreakable. What happened that night outside his house broke that shell. No matter how hard he tries to build it back, it'll never be the same.

I'm just bitter that I didn't get to witness Tigger's dominance. I didn't watch golf back then. Looking back, wtc. I wish I had seen it.
That's too bad Damaikis, I did and saw him play in person a few times. I don't care how much you dislike somebody, back then it was different. If Tiger made the cut, then Tiger was a danger to win the tournament...no matter how far he had to come back. He was relevant every weekend. It was awesome to see him storm up a leaderboard on Sunday. You could literally see the face of his opponents change as red number after red number began to be posted on the leaderboard. They knew he was coming and it meant something.

When was the last time, a winner putted out before his playing partner finished up when his partner was within 3-4'. I can't remember the last time I saw that. Usually the playing partner would finish up to allow the known winner to enjoy the moment. I think this was a total classless move by Tiger. He missed his 3'er but he should have hit that putt before Phil so he could enjoy his moment.

I would agree with this, and Lord knows I love to slam Eldrick whenever the chance comes, but they weren't the final group. I think if they had been, Eldrick would have gone ahead and putted out and given Phil the stage. He could have gone ahead and finished, but I don't think it was a classless move. He still had a putt to get into the top 10, and Phil was out.

I would agree with this, and Lord knows I love to slam Eldrick whenever the chance comes, but they weren't the final group. I think if they had been, Eldrick would have gone ahead and putted out and given Phil the stage. He could have gone ahead and finished, but I don't think it was a classless move. He still had a putt to get into the top 10, and Phil was out.
It took me a minute while watching to figure that out. I first thought it was weird that Tiger marked his ball and let Phil putt first. Then what you stated dawned on me and I realized that Tiger still had a serious putt to make...I think we all saw some of those putts earlier in the round. I don't think class had anything to do with it nor did I read anything into it after putting it all together in my own mind.

You'll never see anything like it again I don't believe. From 99 - 04 it was unreal. He destroyed people. He never missed putts and when he absolutely had to pull something off or make a putt, he did. I know I'm harsh on Tiger but hell, I like him too. He changed the way golf is played and he changed what I expect from golf as a fan. You can never take that away from him. I think what set him apart from his competition was he was unbreakable. What happened that night outside his house broke that shell. No matter how hard he tries to build it back, it'll never be the same.

2000 US Open. That is all.
If you can re watch a major I'd pick that one.

On a side note: When a course(augusta) has to make major changes- make it longer cause a player(Tiger) crushes it past all the bunkers and turns the par 5s into par 4s, you know he's special.

So a few things regarding today. What a great day of pro-golf to watch. Am I exaggerating when I say we've all been hoping for another run this year between two of the best players of this generation? While Tiger fell off today, I think it shows some promise that maybe we can have some exciting Sundays. NOW WITH THAT TYPED;
Did anyone notice two things on 18? When was the last time, a winner putted out before his playing partner finished up when his partner was within 3-4'. I can't remember the last time I saw that. Usually the playing partner would finish up to allow the known winner to enjoy the moment. I think this was a total classless move by Tiger. He missed his 3'er but he should have hit that putt before Phil so he could enjoy his moment. The second thing I noticed was Tiger tapping down something in the line of his final putt. A ball mark? possibly, but you usually see the player do some repair work before the tap it down. A spike mark perhaps, JUST SAYIN'

Smallsy nailed it on this one. If they were in the final group that would have been poor etiquette. In this case, just normal play out.

Mad props to Phil for winning. I also agree that the issues for Tiger are in his own head - he's pressing and it shows. I'd love to see another run of majors so he can top Nicklaus' total, but if it doesn't happen, the guy still deserves to be in that rarefied air. He should be in "GOAT" conversation regardless.

Oh I know guys. I wish I had gotten tili see some of that stuff. 2000 US Open (dominance at its best), 2000 AT&T National (comeback), and 2008 US Open at Torrey (so much clutch) are ones that really stand out to me. It's unbelievable. I need to find a place where I can watch all of these tourneys that I missed. I wish they had those on the web.

On a side note: When a course(augusta) has to make major changes- make it longer cause a player(Tiger) crushes it past all the bunkers and turns the par 5s into par 4s, you know he's special.

Really random note about that US Open, does anyone else from the Tampa area remember the meteorologist who interrupted right before Tiger putted on 18 of that tournament?

I've never disputed his achievements. It was fun as hell to watch and I was rooting for him up until the 2008 U.S. Open (I still liked him, I just wanted a win from Rocco). He was the most dominant golfer on the planet, and it was a helluva ride, and I was hoping he would win all four majors in one year at least once. I was a big fan, but it all changed for me when the fit hit the shan.

I would never dispute his accomplishments, but lots of guys hit it past all the bunkers at Augusta causing them to make changes.

I really enjoyed watching the final round today. Is it wrong that I take so much pleasure watching Tiger miss 2 and 3 foot putts?

Phil playing 11 strokes better than Tiger in a single day was great! Major props to Phil for winning this one. Dont think he would have had a chance if the leader hadnt four putted the first hole.

I really enjoyed watching the final round today. Is it wrong that I take so much pleasure watching Tiger miss 2 and 3 foot putts?

Phil playing 11 strokes better than Tiger in a single day was great! Major props to Phil for winning this one. Dont think he would have had a chance if the leader hadnt four putted the first hole.

Absolutely Not!

K, just over-analyzing I guess. But aside from the that, what about the tapping down in his putt line.

Phil was fun to watch today, he absolutely put on a clinic, simple as that. What a round of golf. Great win for Phil.

Phil played great, no doubt. But let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill, he dominated a b-list event. He repeats at Augusta, then celebrate:)

Phil played great, no doubt. But let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill, he dominated a b-list event. He repeats at Augusta, then celebrate:)

LOL....you pesky Tiger fan you!

Guess what? I'm watching the replay b/c I want to see greatness.

Guess what? I'm watching the replay b/c I want to see greatness.

Might as well watch it now, because it will be back to T45s and MCs until Phil cares again at Augusta (or Houston if he plays the warm-up again).

But what about the limited field event that Eldrick won last year? The fans were all bragging about that one, and it wasn't even a real event.

Well I was not one of the many that enjoyed the 3 putts!

But what about the limited field event that Eldrick won last year? The fans were all bragging about that one, and it wasn't even a real event.

I don't recall the "tiger played x number of strokes better than the guy (here tiger) that blew up" comparisons:)

I thought it was a heck of a tournament. The 2 guys that everyone likes to see were in contention. One played great and the other not so much. Phil went out and WON the tournament today and it was pretty awesome the way he did it.

Back