TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

Well I had my first bad round with these irons and I mean BAD. I hit everything else in my bag fine, but didn't hit one iron shot that made me feel good. I'm sure it was my swing, but I did hit everything else well. I think I hit 2 GIR and still scored an 89 which is fine but I left the course with a very bad taste in my mouth. My main miss was just a push right, and then it turned into a pull when I tried to fix it. Like I said, it was more than likely my swing, and I let it get my head which made me overthink every iron shot. With my wedges and FW I never hesitated over the ball and I only hit a couple of shots that didn't do what I expected, but standing over my irons today all I could think after the first few hole was " I wonder where this is going?" It was a pretty frustrating day today and I'll probably be back out on Sunday to try to fix what went wrong.

Well I had my first bad round with these irons and I mean BAD. I hit everything else in my bag fine, but didn't hit one iron shot that made me feel good. I'm sure it was my swing, but I did hit everything else well. I think I hit 2 GIR and still scored an 89 which is fine but I left the course with a very bad taste in my mouth. My main miss was just a push right, and then it turned into a pull when I tried to fix it. Like I said, it was more than likely my swing, and I let it get my head which made me overthink every iron shot. With my wedges and FW I never hesitated over the ball and I only hit a couple of shots that didn't do what I expected, but standing over my irons today all I could think after the first few hole was " I wonder where this is going?" It was a pretty frustrating day today and I'll probably be back out on Sunday to try to fix what went wrong.

I hear ya partner and every day can't be perfect, especially in the golfing world. What would be interesting is pulling out your "other" set, to see if they are acting up :act-up: like the RBZ irons. It could be an interesting experiment for sure.

I hear ya partner and every day can't be perfect, especially in the golfing world. What would be interesting is pulling out your "other" set, to see if they are acting up :act-up: like the RBZ irons. It could be an interesting experiment for sure.

Well I brought my other SCOR clubs to compare to the PW and AW and had no problems with either of those today. Sunday might include the "other" set to see what happens.

This weather is really putting a damper on my testing lately :banghead:

I did play today and had some good results with the 4i off the tee. Very little roll out today (wet soggy conditions) and still popped a couple out there in the 190 range. A couple of misfires with it but overall happy. This hybrid like iron just flat kicks it out there if you don't force it. I also hit a cool little knock down 7i under the branches with a little hook action, onto the green 5 ft from the hole. Of course I missed the birdie putt however par from where I came from, was quite a treat. I suppose due to the swamp like mud I was trying to strike the ball off of, I had some harsh mishits that gave me some, not so kind feedback. The sound of the ball was a metallic type whack with poor direction. Not a good ball striking type of day and these irons will let ya know.

It was a rough day out there today. Cold and windy. I tried to swing.out of my shoes for 10 holes with awful results. Calmed down after a while with much improved results. My distance wasn't great, ~150 with my 6iron and had the high rights for a while. :banghead:

I need some of those 65-70* days back.

Kindle Fire Forged

Ole Gray had a senior moment and posted his round today under the Rocketballz Preview thread instead of here. :laughing: So, if you want to see how he did, check that thread out. It's okay OG, it can happen to anybody.

Ole Gray had a senior moment and posted his round today under the Rocketballz Preview thread instead of here. :laughing: So, if you want to see how he did, check that thread out. It's okay OG, it can happen to anybody.

Ha-Ha....that a boy OG!!

Range session with the RBZ's today and will write a out 'em tomorrow morning. Teaser.....more thoughts on the 5i and AW.

Ha-Ha....that a boy OG!!

Range session with the RBZ's today and will write a out 'em tomorrow morning. Teaser.....more thoughts on the 5i and AW.

haha good catch guys :banghead:

Ha-Ha....that a boy OG!!

Looking forward to reading your thoughts Nate, I know I will be able to find your write up here in this thread. :devil:

3/04/2012
Eldorado Country Club, McKinney, TX
Driving Range
70, partly cloudy, wind 10-15 from left to right and/or slightly down wind
RBZ 5 iron and AW
Previous clubs: TM MC irons

After weeks of hitting off the mats on our range we finally got the opportunity to hit off the dormant grass. Hey, it was better than the mats. I warmed up with the AW (didn't bring my Vokey wedges with me) and started firing at the 125yd flag. I'll make this simple, after a couple of warm up hits this is how my shots ended up: 1st - on it, 2nd -on it, 3rd - on it, 4th - on it, 5th -on it. You get the picture. Yes, I did miss some, hit one thin and left one out to the right and another pulled it left. Not bad after about 20 balls. Pretty fun when everything you hit starts right at the flag. Some might call it boring but most would call it good golf shots. This AW does just that for me. Anything from 110-125yds out has this club itching to get out and play. And it will play. Another solid session with the AW as it went back into the bag.

I then dediced to grab the 5i hybrid/iron/combo/megatron what ever you want to call it. Yardage flag was a 222yd from where I was hitting. Took a couple of warmup hits and to my plesant surprise, I hit them both fairly well and with some good height. Wasn't high but wasn't low....very penetrating. I continued to hit another 10-15 shots with it. I would say that the balls were traveling and hitting right before the green, so probably 212-215yds then rolling up and past the pin at 222yds. I worked on playing both a draw and a cut with this club. I think the draw worked better (maybe because of the offset?) Much happier with the ball height and the flight. My misses were right when the ball wouldn't not draw in. But by the 15th ball I was really hitting the 5i well. I then went for the tee shots with the 5i. Wow. This club is lethal off the tee. I could really see players using the 4/5i off the tee, into a good steady wind, and outdriving their playing partners. It just penetrates through the air. I did try and really hit the snot out of a couple of shots and ended up pull hooking them left. So I do have to be careful of overhitting off the tee.

After this session, I was very happy with both clubs, esp. the 5i. I still would like to see this club go a bit higher for softer approaches into a green. I can think of a couple of steel shafts that might just do the trick with that issue. But for now, it felt really good. I know it's been stated before, but when you concentrate on putting just a nice easy smooth swing on the ball with the 5i, the club really does the rest. I hit some shots wtih it that put a big smile on my face. That's a good feeling to have as you walk off the range.

I have a golf outing that was moved up to tomorrow so will be putting these clubs into play. It's a Freddy Couples design that is a bit more open than my home course. Gonna put these clubs through a good workout so will let everyone know.

Till then, keep it in the short grass!

3/04/2012
Driving Range
RBZ 5 iron and AW

After weeks of hitting off the mats on our range we finally got the opportunity to hit off the dormant grass. Hey, it was better than the mats. I warmed up with the AW (didn't bring my Vokey wedges with me) and started firing at the 125yd flag. I'll make this simple, after a couple of warm up hits this is how my shots ended up: 1st - on it, 2nd -on it, 3rd - on it, 4th - on it, 5th -on it. You get the picture. Yes, I did miss some, hit one thin and left one out to the right and another pulled it left. Not bad after about 20 balls. Pretty fun when everything you hit starts right at the flag. Some might call it boring but most would call it good golf shots. This AW does just that for me. Anything from 110-125yds out has this club itching to get out and play. And it will play. Another solid session with the AW as it went back into the bag.

I then dediced to grab the 5i hybrid/iron/combo/megatron what ever you want to call it. Yardage flag was a 222yd from where I was hitting. Took a couple of warmup hits and to my plesant surprise, I hit them both fairly well and with some good height. Wasn't high but wasn't low....very penetrating. I continued to hit another 10-15 shots with it. I would say that the balls were traveling and hitting right before the green, so probably 212-215yds then rolling up and past the pin at 222yds. I worked on playing both a draw and a cut with this club. I think the draw worked better (maybe because of the offset?) Much happier with the ball height and the flight. My misses were right when the ball wouldn't not draw in. But by the 15th ball I was really hitting the 5i well. I then went for the tee shots with the 5i. Wow. This club is lethal off the tee. I could really see players using the 4/5i off the tee, into a good steady wind, and outdriving their playing partners. It just penetrates through the air. I did try and really hit the snot out of a couple of shots and ended up pull hooking them left. So I do have to be careful of overhitting off the tee.

After this session, I was very happy with both clubs, esp. the 5i. I still would like to see this club go a bit higher for softer approaches into a green. I can think of a couple of steel shafts that might just do the trick with that issue. But for now, it felt really good. I know it's been stated before, but when you concentrate on putting just a nice easy smooth swing on the ball with the 5i, the club really does the rest. I hit some shots wtih it that put a big smile on my face. That's a good feeling to have as you walk off the range.

I have a golf outing that was moved up to tomorrow so will be putting these clubs into play. It's a Freddy Couples design that is a bit more open than my home course. Gonna put these clubs through a good workout so will let everyone know.

Till then, keep it in the short grass!

Good write up Nate, enjoyed that read. I also had the irons out today but only for 6 holes and i was just mucking around trying different things but i really enjoy playing them. As ive said before i'm naturally a scooper of the ball so been working on hitting down more on the ball and when i did the ball just flew so straight with a nice penetrating flight. I'm not a huge hitter of the ball which i'm trying to work on so after my 6 irons it kinda just fritters out and there is not huge differences between the 5i, 4i and hybrid and sometimes even up to the 3 wood. I do feel that when i'm work on this more that these clubs will give me huge length which i'm already experiencing from 6i to AW.

3/04/2012
Driving Range
RBZ 5 iron and AW

I could really see players using the 4/5i off the tee, into a good steady wind, and outdriving their playing partners. It just penetrates through the air. I did try and really hit the snot out of a couple of shots and ended up pull hooking them left. So I do have to be careful of over hitting off the tee.

Enjoyed your writeup Nate and this ^^^^^^^^^ is the ticket!

Good write-up Nate. Not over-hitting is huge with these irons. I had a range session today to see if I could fix what went wrong on Friday with the RBZ's. Recap of Friday is I hit everything in the bag well except the RBZ irons and it was very frustrating. It was the first time I played in good conditions and was able to get after the ball without worrying about saturated ground or keeping the ball as low as possible because of the wind. After I thought about it for a couple of days I'm suspecting the shafts aren't the best for me. The first 4 or 5 rounds I played with them I hit them great and was extremely happy with them. On Friday I could play without worrying about conditions and just swing freely and this is where the problems started. Today was the same when I wasn't swinging smooth or slow. As long as my swings are 3/4 swings or making myself have a very slow tempo then the results are fine, but as soon as I try to get some extra yards I can't square up the clubface. I really like the heads for the forgiveness they give while still providing feedback, but am very curious how they perform with different shafts. There's a good chance I throw some heavier shafts in these after the testing is done.

There's a good chance I throw some heavier shafts in these after the testing is done.

Partner I bet heavier shafts in those long irons would really produce a low ball flight. Not sure I would go that route but that is a personal choice.

Nice read Nate, and you're so right about the 4 and 5 iron off the tee. They rock! I'm starting to like that 4 iron on any tight driving hole where position is critical. Good luck in your outing tomorrow.

Partner I bet heavier shafts in those long irons would really produce a low ball flight. Not sure I would go that route but that is a personal choice.

The 4-iron is fairly low when not off the tee, but I'm not having any problems getting the 5-iron high. I shouldn't have automatically said heavier shafts, but instead said get fit for shafts that work better with these for me than the stock shafts do.

Just curious as to what the stock shafts in these are? Thought I read most of the thread but didn't happen to catch that.

Just curious as to what the stock shafts in these are? Thought I read most of the thread but didn't happen to catch that.

It's a Taylormade 85g shaft.

What are your thoughts about putting a project X steel shaft in these 4/5 irons for more height?

It's a Taylormade 85g shaft.
Thanks for the quick reply. I got fit for these irons last week & someone had asked which shafts I got & I wasn't sure what the stock shafts were. I got the True Temper DG XP S300s which I think are 117g? Looking forward to getting out with these beauties here soon. Awesome job on the reviews fellas.

If I was to continue to game these after the testing, I'd have to swap the shafts for some heavier ones in the 130g range. These are just too light for my swing.

What are your thoughts about putting a project X steel shaft in these 4/5 irons for more height?

Expecting delivery of RBZ irons with project X flighted shafts this week will update when I have them in my hands....:golf3:

Expecting delivery of RBZ irons with project X flighted shafts this week will update when I have them in my hands....:golf3:

Maybe you will get em before the weekend:blob:. I am looking forward to your take on the project X shafts in these irons.

Back