Shell Houston Open Thread (Spoilers)

Totally agree. I hope Lee shoots 6 under on his back 9 today! That would be sweet.

I think a 12 of Miller would be in order then.

I have no clue why the Golf Channel hasn't figured out a way to do this yet....I don't know if it's their contract with the PGA that prevents it and only allows them so many hours of coverage (which is probably the case) but they need to figure it out....I mean if they are going to have cameras and stuff there I dont know why they don't cover every tournament from the first group off till the network takes over...especially these were we didn't get to see some of the big names because of weather issues.

Don't be blaming Texas though TC, just shows how jealous you are that you don't live here :alien:

meh, Texas schmexas!

Stupid Golf Channel.

Id rather watch Sports Center then some weird Euro golf event. Unless Paulo and Flix are playing then I might support them. Golf Channel sucks.

I have no clue why the Golf Channel hasn't figured out a way to do this yet....I don't know if it's their contract with the PGA that prevents it and only allows them so many hours of coverage (which is probably the case) but they need to figure it out....I mean if they are going to have cameras and stuff there I dont know why they don't cover every tournament from the first group off till the network takes over...especially these were we didn't get to see some of the big names because of weather issues.

Don't be blaming Texas though TC, just shows how jealous you are that you don't live here :alien:

I think you have hit on it right here, I certainly don't understand the contract though. I haven't been able to catch any live golf this week so far from the PGA guys.

Id rather watch Sports Center then some weird Euro golf event. Unless Paulo and Flix are playing then I might support them. Golf Channel sucks.

you're a cultural racist

I might be in the minority but I don't really like seeing JB Holmes in contention. I struggle watching him play golf. A lot.

I like JB! My company sponsors him but I kind of liked him before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe he WD'd claiming a shoulder injury after a 79.
Hey be nice now! It's not like he claimed an Achilles injury! hehehe

The contract situations are tough for the Golf Channel. Not only do they have obligations to broadcast a certain amount of hours of a particular tournament, but they also have to deal with the unions involved with the camera men and other people who help cover the events. Any additional hours of live coverage costs money, they have to pay overtime to the camera men and other support staff. They have to weigh the additional costs vs. the additional revenue that would be generated by additional live coverage. Since these situations arise from unexpected weather, it is impossible to sell add time for the bonus coverage to off set any added costs. They are able to expand coverage on the weekends because it is planned coverage and paid for by advertising revenue.

Its a tough spot for the Golf Channel because it is hard to simply say, we are not going to show the Kraft Nabisco because the PGA event had a weather interruption.

Watching some euro tour this morning, did anyone else see the guy with the orange headband tap the ball off the tee then re-tee it up and then hit his shot. How was that not a penalty?

Watching some euro tour this morning, did anyone else see the guy with the orange headband tap the ball off the tee then re-tee it up and then hit his shot. How was that not a penalty?

I did see that! Wtf!

How funny is it watching everyone look for this dude's golf ball?

Thats the euro version of Rickie Fowler

Because it's not. No intent. It's like your buddies saying "that's one" when someone does it on the tee box.

11-3. Ball Falling off Tee
If a ball, when not in play, falls off a tee or is knocked off a tee by the player in addressing it, it may be re-teed, without penalty. However, if a stroke is made at the ball in these circumstances, whether the ball is moving or not, the stroke counts, but there is no penalty.

Because it's not. No intent. It's like your buddies saying "that's one" when someone does it on the tee box.
Thanks! I looked up rule 18-2. Even if you hit it on a practice swing it's not a stroke, interesting.

Thanks! I looked up rule 18-2. Even if you hit it on a practice swing it's not a stroke, interesting.

I don't see where it says if the ball is on the tee and is not yet in play. I guess that means it's not in play, so yeah a practice swing in that case would not mean anything if you accidentally hit it,I suppose!

But if the ball is in play, it's not a stroke, but it is a penalty, the way I read it. And the ball must be replaced.

18-2b. Ball Moving After Address
If a player’s ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke.

The ball must be replaced, unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made.

Exception: If it is known or virtually certain that the player did not cause his ball to move, Rule 18-2b does not apply.

Davis Love did this on the green (hit the ball with a practice stroke) and played it as it lied and was disqualified I believe. He should have placed the ball back where it was and added a penalty shot.

Hunter Mahan with the nice 5 under round today. Guys went low this morning, expect some low rounds this afternoon also.

I found this on the FAQ page on usga:
Rule 18-2

Practice Swing Accidentally Moves Ball before Stroke on Teeing Ground

Q.
Before making a stroke on the teeing ground, a player makes a practice swing and accidentally knocks the ball off the tee with the club. Is there a penalty?

A.
There is no penalty as the ball was not in play. Additionally, the player has not made a stroke - see Definition of "Stroke." The player must put a ball into play from the teeing ground. (Decision 18-2a/19)

I don't see where it says if the ball is on the tee and is not yet in play. I guess that means it's not in play, so yeah a practice swing in that case would not mean anything if you accidentally hit it,I suppose!

But if the ball is in play, it's not a stroke, but it is a penalty, the way I read it. And the ball must be replaced.

18-2b. Ball Moving After Address
If a player’s ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke.

The ball must be replaced, unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made.

Exception: If it is known or virtually certain that the player did not cause his ball to move, Rule 18-2b does not apply.

Davis Love did this on the green (hit the ball with a practice stroke) and played it as it lied and was disqualified I believe. He should have placed the ball back where it was and added a penalty shot.

Go Gmac!

So since turning this on I've seen both the Ping Nome and the TM Manta.

Looks like fantasy scoring is finally caught up.

Round 1: 52
Round 2: 50

Really pulling for Bud Cauley to continue playing well. Win here and get into the Masters. That would be pretty darn cool.

Go Gmac!

So since turning this on I've seen both the Ping Nome and the TM Manta.

Yea it's killing me, I hope to get my manta soon, not counting on it. I can't complain too much since i'm also getting a free 5 iron.

Ben C looks like he just snapped.

Apparently that bunker did something wrong to Ben Crane the way he attacked it after a poor shot. That is the fastest he has ever moved!

ya he seemed a little upset

Then G-Mac put his shot in the water to.

Back